DISK DEVICE vs TAPE DEVICE BACKUP 
Author Message
 DISK DEVICE vs TAPE DEVICE BACKUP

I am still confused about the backup scenario with the INIT and NOINIT
option. Does it only apply to TAPE DEVICE BACKUP not DISK DEVICE?

What's the different between INIT and NOINIT option? I tried both. The
listing of all my transactional log backup displayed with INIT as well
as NOINIT options under the Backup/Restore tab.

And if I am relying on the transactional backup to do the point in time
recovery, does that mean I ought to pick the NOINIT option if it
requires for the DISK DEVICE BACKUP??? But the file can grow really big!
How can I clean it up nightly after the typical full backup?

Thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.***.com/
Before you buy.



Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DISK DEVICE vs TAPE DEVICE BACKUP

Inline...

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.

Quote:

> I am still confused about the backup scenario with the INIT and NOINIT
> option. Does it only apply to TAPE DEVICE BACKUP not DISK DEVICE?

It applies to both tape and disk. The file acts just as a tape. You can have several
backups to the same file, each adressed with the FILE option.

Quote:

> What's the different between INIT and NOINIT option?

INIT overwrites.

Quote:
> I tried both. The
> listing of all my transactional log backup displayed with INIT as well
> as NOINIT options under the Backup/Restore tab.

You were looking at the backup history. That dialog does not verify that the backup
that were done actually physically exists.

Quote:

> And if I am relying on the transactional backup to do the point in time
> recovery, does that mean I ought to pick the NOINIT option if it
> requires for the DISK DEVICE BACKUP??? But the file can grow really big!
> How can I clean it up nightly after the typical full backup?

You have to have  a script/schedule/etc which does INIT at the frequency that you
desire...
Quote:

> Thanks in advance.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.



Fri, 06 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 2 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Backup device vs. backup to disk

2. Location of tape and disk backup devices

3. Backup to multiple Tape devices using a tape loader

4. Backup Device vs Backup in Maint Plan

5. Backup error - Can't open dump device or device off line

6. Understanding Backup Devices and Temporary Bkp devices

7. SQL 7 - Dumping Devices or creating backup device on a Network Drive

8. backup permissions? device error or device offline

9. Restore from database device not backup device

10. Cook device vs. Raw device

11. Raw devices Vs. File system devices

12. Cook device vs Raw device


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software