migrating sql databases sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5 
Author Message
 migrating sql databases sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5
Hi, i got some sql database installed on a sql server 6.5 with win NT 4.0
server
i'm doing a parrallel installation of the winNT server on a new machine,
evrey thing is doing fine except the fact that ho do i do to
migrating sql sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5
that's the big problem
thanks
for your help

A.T



Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 migrating sql databases sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5

Your best bet is to install SQL Server 6.5 on the second machine.  When it
has successfully finished it's installation, use the Enterprise Manager to
register both the old and new SQL Servers.   Now you have two choices.

1.  If you have the same character set and sort order, then you can backup
the databases from the old server and restore them on the new server.  (Be
sure to create the appropriate devices first.)

2.  If you have different character sets or sort orders, then you can create
the devices and databases on the new server and then use the Transfer
Manager to move data, schema and objects from the old to the new.

Have fun!

--
Rick Sawtell MCP, MCT, MCSD

10 Million Lemmings Can't Be Wrong

Quote:

>Hi, i got some sql database installed on a sql server 6.5 with win NT 4.0
>server
>i'm doing a parrallel installation of the winNT server on a new machine,
>evrey thing is doing fine except the fact that ho do i do to
>migrating sql sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5
>that's the big problem
>thanks
>for your help

>A.T



Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 migrating sql databases sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5
Rick,

I agree with you on the first way but the problem with the second one is
transfer manager works like the copy command under windows by the fact that
the data is transfered via the pc running the copy/transfer manager.

If this is the server then that is better but if the guy is competent in SQL
server I would recommend he script the whole database (using the script
generator) then write a script to bcp the data out from all tables to the
local hard drive.  Zip all the files up and copy them to the receiving
server (if both are remote servers do the bcp,zip and copy via xp_cmdshell).
Then on the receiving server unzip the datafiles using xp_cmdshell and bcp
them back in, again using xp_cmdshell,.  This is the fastest way to copy
data.  And potentially the only feasible way if the database is very large.

One thing to remeber though is the account used to start the MSSQLServer
service will need the permissions to get to the hard disk and copy data
accross the network.

Steve Robinson
SQLServer MVP


Quote:

>Your best bet is to install SQL Server 6.5 on the second machine.  When it
>has successfully finished it's installation, use the Enterprise Manager to
>register both the old and new SQL Servers.   Now you have two choices.

>1.  If you have the same character set and sort order, then you can backup
>the databases from the old server and restore them on the new server.  (Be
>sure to create the appropriate devices first.)

>2.  If you have different character sets or sort orders, then you can
create
>the devices and databases on the new server and then use the Transfer
>Manager to move data, schema and objects from the old to the new.

>Have fun!

>--
>Rick Sawtell MCP, MCT, MCSD

>10 Million Lemmings Can't Be Wrong


>>Hi, i got some sql database installed on a sql server 6.5 with win NT 4.0
>>server
>>i'm doing a parrallel installation of the winNT server on a new machine,
>>evrey thing is doing fine except the fact that ho do i do to
>>migrating sql sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5
>>that's the big problem
>>thanks
>>for your help

>>A.T



Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 migrating sql databases sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5
Steve,

Maybe I read the documentation incorrectly, but I thought that the Transfer
Manager does exactly what you just said.  The Transfer Manager reads from
the syscomments table to recreate the objects on the new server.  It then
uses bcp to move the data through.   Did I misunderstand something?

--
Rick Sawtell MCP, MCT, MCSD

10 Million Lemmings Can't Be Wrong

Quote:

>Rick,

>I agree with you on the first way but the problem with the second one is
>transfer manager works like the copy command under windows by the fact that
>the data is transfered via the pc running the copy/transfer manager.

>If this is the server then that is better but if the guy is competent in
SQL
>server I would recommend he script the whole database (using the script
>generator) then write a script to bcp the data out from all tables to the
>local hard drive.  Zip all the files up and copy them to the receiving
>server (if both are remote servers do the bcp,zip and copy via
xp_cmdshell).
>Then on the receiving server unzip the datafiles using xp_cmdshell and bcp
>them back in, again using xp_cmdshell,.  This is the fastest way to copy
>data.  And potentially the only feasible way if the database is very large.

>One thing to remeber though is the account used to start the MSSQLServer
>service will need the permissions to get to the hard disk and copy data
>accross the network.

>Steve Robinson
>SQLServer MVP



>>Your best bet is to install SQL Server 6.5 on the second machine.  When it
>>has successfully finished it's installation, use the Enterprise Manager to
>>register both the old and new SQL Servers.   Now you have two choices.

>>1.  If you have the same character set and sort order, then you can backup
>>the databases from the old server and restore them on the new server.  (Be
>>sure to create the appropriate devices first.)

>>2.  If you have different character sets or sort orders, then you can
>create
>>the devices and databases on the new server and then use the Transfer
>>Manager to move data, schema and objects from the old to the new.

>>Have fun!

>>--
>>Rick Sawtell MCP, MCT, MCSD

>>10 Million Lemmings Can't Be Wrong


>>>Hi, i got some sql database installed on a sql server 6.5 with win NT 4.0
>>>server
>>>i'm doing a parrallel installation of the winNT server on a new machine,
>>>evrey thing is doing fine except the fact that ho do i do to
>>>migrating sql sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5
>>>that's the big problem
>>>thanks
>>>for your help

>>>A.T



Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 migrating sql databases sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5
Rick,

No you read the documentation correclty but what it doesn't say is that it
routes the transfer through your machine.So say you have a 40 mb table you
wish to transfer then this is going to take time to bcp between the servers
especially if both servers are remote and connected by say a 64kb ISDN.
What I was trying to suggest is that you script as normal but your data
transfer is done by BCP'ing out to the local drive on the server zip and
copy the file to the desination server and unzip and bcp in locally to that
machine so there is no BCP'ing over a slow link.  This is the fastest way to
do this kind of transfer.  I have done that here across a 100 site before in
a night where as transfer manager (which I tried first)  took forever to do
a single site.

Steve Robinson
SQLServer MVP


Quote:

>Steve,

>Maybe I read the documentation incorrectly, but I thought that the Transfer
>Manager does exactly what you just said.  The Transfer Manager reads from
>the syscomments table to recreate the objects on the new server.  It then
>uses bcp to move the data through.   Did I misunderstand something?

>--
>Rick Sawtell MCP, MCT, MCSD

>10 Million Lemmings Can't Be Wrong


>>Rick,

>>I agree with you on the first way but the problem with the second one is
>>transfer manager works like the copy command under windows by the fact
that
>>the data is transfered via the pc running the copy/transfer manager.

>>If this is the server then that is better but if the guy is competent in
>SQL
>>server I would recommend he script the whole database (using the script
>>generator) then write a script to bcp the data out from all tables to the
>>local hard drive.  Zip all the files up and copy them to the receiving
>>server (if both are remote servers do the bcp,zip and copy via
>xp_cmdshell).
>>Then on the receiving server unzip the datafiles using xp_cmdshell and bcp
>>them back in, again using xp_cmdshell,.  This is the fastest way to copy
>>data.  And potentially the only feasible way if the database is very
large.

>>One thing to remeber though is the account used to start the MSSQLServer
>>service will need the permissions to get to the hard disk and copy data
>>accross the network.

>>Steve Robinson
>>SQLServer MVP



>>>Your best bet is to install SQL Server 6.5 on the second machine.  When
it
>>>has successfully finished it's installation, use the Enterprise Manager
to
>>>register both the old and new SQL Servers.   Now you have two choices.

>>>1.  If you have the same character set and sort order, then you can
backup
>>>the databases from the old server and restore them on the new server.
(Be
>>>sure to create the appropriate devices first.)

>>>2.  If you have different character sets or sort orders, then you can
>>create
>>>the devices and databases on the new server and then use the Transfer
>>>Manager to move data, schema and objects from the old to the new.

>>>Have fun!

>>>--
>>>Rick Sawtell MCP, MCT, MCSD

>>>10 Million Lemmings Can't Be Wrong


>>>>Hi, i got some sql database installed on a sql server 6.5 with win NT
4.0
>>>>server
>>>>i'm doing a parrallel installation of the winNT server on a new machine,
>>>>evrey thing is doing fine except the fact that ho do i do to
>>>>migrating sql sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5
>>>>that's the big problem
>>>>thanks
>>>>for your help

>>>>A.T



Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. transfer database from one SQL Server 6.5 to another SQL Server 6.5

2. Transfer database from one SQL Server 6.5 to another SQL Server 6.5

3. Moving all databases from one SQL 6.5 server to another SQL 6.5 s erver

4. SQL Server 6.5 - Client Upgrade from SQL 6.0 to 6.5

5. Transfering Data from one SQL 6.5 to antother SQL 6.5 server

6. Transferring SQL 6.5 data base to another SQL 6.5 Server

7. Sql Server 6.5 Web Assistant does not recognize installed 6.5 server

8. moving SQL 6.5 database to another 6.5 server

9. GA-Atlanta-98073--DBA Skills-MS SQL Server-ORACLE-Database Administrator (DBA)-SQL Server 6.5 / Oracle

10. Upgrading a Database from SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 2000


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software