Please Help : SQL Table growing abnormally 
Author Message
 Please Help : SQL Table growing abnormally

Hi!

I have a table that normally takes 196MB of space.  Each end of day, I
run an utility that takes the informations from an access 2.0 database
and transfer them in a temporary SQL 7.0 table. When it's finished, I
run a DTS to drop the original SQL table (CompanyDetailsFr), recreate
the table and puts all from the temporarytable (CompanyDetailsFr_Dev)
to the new created table (CompanyDetailsFr). The problem is while
doing this last action. My temporary table is 196MB and my new one is
over 6 GB !!!! What happened here?!? And what do I have to do to solve
that problem ?!

Note: I have the same row number in each table!!

Thanx a lot for helping!!
Lady Tatjahna



Sat, 22 May 2004 03:06:02 GMT
 Please Help : SQL Table growing abnormally

tatjahna,

same number of rowcount doesn't mean you have the same data. did you do any
data manipulation?

how about just truncating the original table and dts new data directly into
it.

-oj


Quote:
> Hi!

> I have a table that normally takes 196MB of space.  Each end of day, I
> run an utility that takes the informations from an access 2.0 database
> and transfer them in a temporary SQL 7.0 table. When it's finished, I
> run a DTS to drop the original SQL table (CompanyDetailsFr), recreate
> the table and puts all from the temporarytable (CompanyDetailsFr_Dev)
> to the new created table (CompanyDetailsFr). The problem is while
> doing this last action. My temporary table is 196MB and my new one is
> over 6 GB !!!! What happened here?!? And what do I have to do to solve
> that problem ?!

> Note: I have the same row number in each table!!

> Thanx a lot for helping!!
> Lady Tatjahna



Sat, 22 May 2004 03:10:44 GMT
 Please Help : SQL Table growing abnormally
Also run DBCC showcontig to check the average fullness of pages...(this is
doc'd in Books on Line.)

--
Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
IKON Education Services, C{*filter*}te, NC
(Please respond only to the newsgroups)

Quote:
> Hi!

> I have a table that normally takes 196MB of space.  Each end of day, I
> run an utility that takes the informations from an access 2.0 database
> and transfer them in a temporary SQL 7.0 table. When it's finished, I
> run a DTS to drop the original SQL table (CompanyDetailsFr), recreate
> the table and puts all from the temporarytable (CompanyDetailsFr_Dev)
> to the new created table (CompanyDetailsFr). The problem is while
> doing this last action. My temporary table is 196MB and my new one is
> over 6 GB !!!! What happened here?!? And what do I have to do to solve
> that problem ?!

> Note: I have the same row number in each table!!

> Thanx a lot for helping!!
> Lady Tatjahna



Sat, 22 May 2004 04:20:08 GMT
 Please Help : SQL Table growing abnormally

Quote:
> same number of rowcount doesn't mean you have the same data. did you do any
> data manipulation?

It's supposed to be the same data.. CompanyDetailsFr has to be
identical to CompanyDetailsFr_DEV after the DTS.

Quote:
> how about just truncating the original table and dts new data directly into
> it.

We don't do that because it's longer to delete all the table than just
drop it and recreate it..

Lady Tatjahna



Sat, 22 May 2004 13:45:49 GMT
 Please Help : SQL Table growing abnormally

Quote:
> Also run DBCC showcontig to check the average fullness of pages...(this is
> doc'd in Books on Line.)

I already did that.. but I'm not sure what to do with thoses
informations... How do I analyse them ? I'm currently at home and by
memory I think I have near 4780 pages and they are filled at 98%..

Thanx for further help!
Lady Tatjahna



Sat, 22 May 2004 13:49:09 GMT
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. SQL Server log file grows abnormally quick

2. Log file grew abnormally

3. Index size growing abnormally .....Oracle bug ?

4. it keeps growing and growing and growing!

5. Lock file has grown too large - please help

6. Crystal5.0 VCL (PLEASE HELP: grown man crying....)

7. Urgent help needed - shared memory size growing and growing

8. SQL growing pains - your comment please

9. COMBO BOX, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP!

10. Abnormally huge indexes due to odd table creation?

11. abnormally long time in performing a two-table join

12. Help: DB Daemon died abnormally...


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software