Global Cube Creation BUG (675) 
Author Message
 Global Cube Creation BUG (675)
Hi,

I have found what i think is a bug in Analysis Services build 675 and
previous version(s).

If you use a unary operator in a parent child dimension global cube
generation ignores (-) operators and treats them as (+).


of this.

Thanks

Mark



Sat, 26 Feb 2005 04:12:47 GMT
 Global Cube Creation BUG (675)

Hi Mark,

When you talk about 'global cube generation', do you mean creating local
cubes with the CREATE GLOBAL CUBE statement? Unary Operators are implemented
with a custom rollup, and as stated in the BOL topic "Local
Cubes/Compatibility Issues" you can't create a local cube with custom
rollups in. So I guess what's happening is that it's just ignoring the unary
operators and defaulting to summing up everything.

HTH,

Chris

--

Chris Webb
Consultant, Microsoft Services Switzerland
(to email: remove 'online.' from the address this was posted with)

Microsoft Services Switzerland and our partners can help you with your
Analysis Services project!

Disclaimer: This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers
no rights.


Quote:
> Hi,

> I have found what i think is a bug in Analysis Services build 675 and
> previous version(s).

> If you use a unary operator in a parent child dimension global cube
> generation ignores (-) operators and treats them as (+).


> of this.

> Thanks

> Mark



Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:01:35 GMT
 Global Cube Creation BUG (675)
Hiya,

This does not quite behave in the manner you say , for instance if you
have a ~ operator this is most often correctly shown in the local cube
(not always).

I have read this whitepaper

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/BI/AnalysisServicesDDL.doc

I can post examples if you wish , the behavior does not appear to be
consistent.

It is my understanding that the create global cube supports much more
than the local cubes referred to by books online, as create global
cube sucks the data and structures from analysis services.

Mark

Quote:

> When you talk about 'global cube generation', do you mean creating local
> cubes with the CREATE GLOBAL CUBE statement? Unary Operators are implemented
> with a custom rollup, and as stated in the BOL topic "Local
> Cubes/Compatibility Issues" you can't create a local cube with custom
> rollups in. So I guess what's happening is that it's just ignoring the unary
> operators and defaulting to summing up everything.

> HTH,

> Chris

> --

> Chris Webb
> Consultant, Microsoft Services Switzerland
> (to email: remove 'online.' from the address this was posted with)

> Microsoft Services Switzerland and our partners can help you with your
> Analysis Services project!

> Disclaimer: This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.



> > Hi,

> > I have found what i think is a bug in Analysis Services build 675 and
> > previous version(s).

> > If you use a unary operator in a parent child dimension global cube
> > generation ignores (-) operators and treats them as (+).


> > of this.

> > Thanks

> > Mark



Mon, 28 Feb 2005 05:05:48 GMT
 Global Cube Creation BUG (675)
Hi Mark,

Hmm, well I think the gist of what BOL is trying to say is that it's not
supported - ie even if it is possible to create a local cube from a server
cube which uses unary operators, there are no guarantees that the end result
will be something meaningful. CREATE GLOBAL CUBE does support a bit more
functionality than the old syntax, but from my (limited) understanding of
what is going on behind the scenes it is not doing anything radically
different.

Regards,

Chris

--

Chris Webb
Consultant, Microsoft Services Switzerland
(to email: remove 'online.' from the address this was posted with)

Microsoft Services Switzerland and our partners can help you with your
Analysis Services project!

Disclaimer: This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers
no rights.


Quote:
> Hiya,

> This does not quite behave in the manner you say , for instance if you
> have a ~ operator this is most often correctly shown in the local cube
> (not always).

> I have read this whitepaper

> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/BI/AnalysisServicesDDL.doc

> I can post examples if you wish , the behavior does not appear to be
> consistent.

> It is my understanding that the create global cube supports much more
> than the local cubes referred to by books online, as create global
> cube sucks the data and structures from analysis services.

> Mark

> > When you talk about 'global cube generation', do you mean creating local
> > cubes with the CREATE GLOBAL CUBE statement? Unary Operators are
implemented
> > with a custom rollup, and as stated in the BOL topic "Local
> > Cubes/Compatibility Issues" you can't create a local cube with custom
> > rollups in. So I guess what's happening is that it's just ignoring the
unary
> > operators and defaulting to summing up everything.

> > HTH,

> > Chris

> > --

> > Chris Webb
> > Consultant, Microsoft Services Switzerland
> > (to email: remove 'online.' from the address this was posted with)

> > Microsoft Services Switzerland and our partners can help you with your
> > Analysis Services project!

> > Disclaimer: This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and
confers
> > no rights.



> > > Hi,

> > > I have found what i think is a bug in Analysis Services build 675 and
> > > previous version(s).

> > > If you use a unary operator in a parent child dimension global cube
> > > generation ignores (-) operators and treats them as (+).


example
> > > of this.

> > > Thanks

> > > Mark



Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:03:02 GMT
 Global Cube Creation BUG (675)
Who knows :-) anyway it has been logged as a bug through PSS who seem
to think it is a bug .. so we will see ... i shall keep this thread
updated.

Mark Hill



Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:59:36 GMT
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Help Error 675 on stored procedure.

2. Error -675

3. ANTI-SPAM Legge 675/96

4. ANTI-SPAM Legge 675/96

5. Help Error 675 on stored procedure.

6. Error 675: Illegal statement in stored procedure

7. SPL with WebBlade gives reserved words error -675

8. xpsql.cpp: error 5 from CreateProcess on line 675 - Help Please

9. Alternative Regular Cube creation besides Cube wizard/Editor method

10. Local cube with CREATE GLOBAL CUBE (Sql2000 Sp1)

11. create global cube vs. create local cube

12. Database Link creation with Global name TRUE


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software