Please help...Backup vs Transaction log vs Restore is so important 
Author Message
 Please help...Backup vs Transaction log vs Restore is so important

Thanks for bringing up the subject folks. I have the same question but
the answers I've found are not encouraging.  Is it really true that if
you loose a drive carrying your .mdf file and your current .ldf is fine,
and you have a good unbroken fulldb and transaction log backup set, that
you cannot restore up to the point of failure because there is no way to
read the current log file into a restore process??  I've tried hiding my
.mdf file and I cannot backup my current log file to begin a restore
because the log backup seems to require a good .mdf file to so.  What do
you do if you loose your current .mdf file??  It seems almost better to
loose your current .ldf file in a crash!

Quote:
-----Original Message-----

Eric,

Along the lines of the other suggestions:

If you have a crash, and you still have the log file(s) available, you
can still
backup the log. And then restore up to just before the crash
(NO_TRUNCATE). This
requires that the .mdf file is available in version 7.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.



> Hi Tibor,

> You say that you do a full DB backup at night and a log backup hourly.

> Does it means that if a crash occurs at 14h59, you lost 1 hour of
collecting data.
(If so, I cannot do that because I do not want to loose any data)
Should I backup my
log every minutes or what ????

> Thanks

> Eric Perron

> * Sent from Devdex.com http://www.***.com/ The Web Developers Index
*
> The world's largest index site for web developers.



Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Please help...Backup vs Transaction log vs Restore is so important

This is true. It is doc'd in KB Q218739.

There is no workaround after the fact, but you can prevent problems by
creating a very small .mdf file with fixed size, and placing it on a fault
tolerant partition, just like where you put the log. Then create an .ndf
file that will hold your real data, and put that on the Fast partition.  Of
course, if you want to put all your data on a fault tolerant partition, that
is ok, too, but a bit more expensive.

HTH

--
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP
www.InsideSQLServer.com
Feed Someone for Free Today:
     www.TheHungerSite.com


Quote:
> Thanks for bringing up the subject folks. I have the same question but
> the answers I've found are not encouraging.  Is it really true that if
> you loose a drive carrying your .mdf file and your current .ldf is fine,
> and you have a good unbroken fulldb and transaction log backup set, that
> you cannot restore up to the point of failure because there is no way to
> read the current log file into a restore process??  I've tried hiding my
> .mdf file and I cannot backup my current log file to begin a restore
> because the log backup seems to require a good .mdf file to so.  What do
> you do if you loose your current .mdf file??  It seems almost better to
> loose your current .ldf file in a crash!

> -----Original Message-----
> Eric,

> Along the lines of the other suggestions:

> If you have a crash, and you still have the log file(s) available, you
> can still
> backup the log. And then restore up to just before the crash
> (NO_TRUNCATE). This
> requires that the .mdf file is available in version 7.

> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.



> > Hi Tibor,

> > You say that you do a full DB backup at night and a log backup hourly.

> > Does it means that if a crash occurs at 14h59, you lost 1 hour of
> collecting data.
> (If so, I cannot do that because I do not want to loose any data)
> Should I backup my
> log every minutes or what ????

> > Thanks

> > Eric Perron

> > * Sent from Devdex.com http://www.devdex.com The Web Developers Index
> *
> > The world's largest index site for web developers.



Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 2 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Please help...Backup vs Transaction log vs Restore is so important

2. DTS vs sp_detachdb vs BACKUP/Restore

3. Transaction Log vs restore at a specific point in time

4. DB Restore and Trans Log vs.Differential Backup question

5. Transaction Log backup Error. Please help

6. Transaction Log backup help please.

7. Applying Transaction Log Backups, Help please !!

8. Truncate log on Checkpoint vs. Truncate Transaction Log

9. HELP Paradox vs Access vs Foxpro vs ????????????

10. Access vs Approach vs Paradox vs FilePro vs Filemaker Pro

11. Transaction log backups and restores

12. Question about Transaction log (backup-restore)


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software