Can Transaction Log Backup be Initiated If Some % Full 
Author Message
 Can Transaction Log Backup be Initiated If Some % Full
I was curious whether Transaction Log Backup be initiated
as soon as it becomes Some % full .
I know it can be done if we have a Job checking every some
minutes and then initiating a Job to backup.
But can we have an alert for soem % full of Transaction
Log at any point of time and then Initiate a Job for
Transaction Log Backup as a Result of the Alert.
-Vivek


Sat, 22 May 2004 04:52:55 GMT
 Can Transaction Log Backup be Initiated If Some % Full

Vivek,

Make necessary modifications to:

http://www.dbmaint.com/download/utilproc/sp_dbm_checkfilegrowth.sql

Once it crosses the limit do a
exec msdb..sp_start_job.

Dinesh.


Quote:
> I was curious whether Transaction Log Backup be initiated
> as soon as it becomes Some % full .
> I know it can be done if we have a Job checking every some
> minutes and then initiating a Job to backup.
> But can we have an alert for soem % full of Transaction
> Log at any point of time and then Initiate a Job for
> Transaction Log Backup as a Result of the Alert.
> -Vivek



Sat, 22 May 2004 05:22:25 GMT
 Can Transaction Log Backup be Initiated If Some % Full
Thanks Dinesh ,
But can I specify which File it should see for growth.
I mean I am concerned with transaction log growth in a
Particular Database.
Can't I specify a Percentage above which it should fire
the backup Job.
Vivek
Quote:
>-----Original Message-----
>Vivek,

>Make necessary modifications to:

>http://www.dbmaint.com/download/utilproc/sp_dbm_checkfileg
rowth.sql

>Once it crosses the limit do a
>exec msdb..sp_start_job.

>Dinesh.



>> I was curious whether Transaction Log Backup be
initiated
>> as soon as it becomes Some % full .
>> I know it can be done if we have a Job checking every
some
>> minutes and then initiating a Job to backup.
>> But can we have an alert for soem % full of Transaction
>> Log at any point of time and then Initiate a Job for
>> Transaction Log Backup as a Result of the Alert.
>> -Vivek

>.



Sat, 22 May 2004 06:02:30 GMT
 Can Transaction Log Backup be Initiated If Some % Full
Vivek,

Am aware that you cant adopt that storproc as it is...thats why I mentioned
for the modification.

Quote:
> But can I specify which File it should see for growth.
> I mean I am concerned with transaction log growth in a
> Particular Database.

select * from databasename.dbo.sysfiles  where name='logfilename'  and from
there you can
improvise on that storproc.

Quote:
> Can't I specify a Percentage above which it should fire
> the backup Job.

May be you can pass a destination level to the stor proc and once the
current size crosses that, raise the error.
With further calculations inside, you can even calculate the percentage.

Dinesh.


Quote:
> Thanks Dinesh ,
> But can I specify which File it should see for growth.
> I mean I am concerned with transaction log growth in a
> Particular Database.
> Can't I specify a Percentage above which it should fire
> the backup Job.
> Vivek
> >-----Original Message-----
> >Vivek,

> >Make necessary modifications to:

> >http://www.dbmaint.com/download/utilproc/sp_dbm_checkfileg
> rowth.sql

> >Once it crosses the limit do a
> >exec msdb..sp_start_job.

> >Dinesh.



> >> I was curious whether Transaction Log Backup be
> initiated
> >> as soon as it becomes Some % full .
> >> I know it can be done if we have a Job checking every
> some
> >> minutes and then initiating a Job to backup.
> >> But can we have an alert for soem % full of Transaction
> >> Log at any point of time and then Initiate a Job for
> >> Transaction Log Backup as a Result of the Alert.
> >> -Vivek

> >.



Sat, 22 May 2004 06:25:09 GMT
 Can Transaction Log Backup be Initiated If Some % Full
Define a performance condition alert specifying the counter that monitors
the %age full of the appropriate db. In the action for the alert run the
backup log statement.

Look at BOL under alerts for details

Mike John


Quote:
> I was curious whether Transaction Log Backup be initiated
> as soon as it becomes Some % full .
> I know it can be done if we have a Job checking every some
> minutes and then initiating a Job to backup.
> But can we have an alert for soem % full of Transaction
> Log at any point of time and then Initiate a Job for
> Transaction Log Backup as a Result of the Alert.
> -Vivek



Sun, 23 May 2004 03:38:54 GMT
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Full backups and transaction log backups

2. Transaction log, full backup a must?

3. Transaction Log full after DB Backup

4. full database backup and the transaction log

5. Big Transaction log after full backup

6. Full backup and transaction log

7. Is the transaction log truncated during a full database backup

8. transaction log runs full during backup

9. (Transaction) log file status after full backup

10. Transaction log full / Filespace full problems

11. Backup from filegroup without transaction log backups

12. Question about Transaction log backup with Backup Exec


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software