Running applications on client PCs from within D3 NT 
Author Message
 Running applications on client PCs from within D3 NT
We are looking to execute a graphic file display application (GIF/JPG) from
within D3NT to run on client PCs to display scanned documents(the document
name passed from D3). I have had some success with running applications on
the server using the ! command prefix at TCL, e.g. !c:\runprog.exe but would
like some advice on how to execute programs on a client PC. Is this possible
from within NT?

We are currently running D3 NT 7.1.4

Richard Cross
J&M Systems (UK) Ltd
London, WC1N 1DX



Tue, 13 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Running applications on client PCs from within D3 NT

This sounds like a perfect application to use FlashConnect.  Once your
app. is web-enabled then any client, PC, Mac or X could view your
documents.  You can service any browser enabled client or even use your
app. on the Internet.

It adds the complexity/ learning curve of IIS or Apache, for you and
also FlashConnect and HTML basics, but those are all good skills to
have, especially today.

One angle on your problem...
Jim



Quote:
> We are looking to execute a graphic file display application
(GIF/JPG) from
> within D3NT to run on client PCs to display scanned documents(the
document
> name passed from D3). I have had some success with running
applications on
> the server using the ! command prefix at TCL, e.g. !c:\runprog.exe
but would
> like some advice on how to execute programs on a client PC. Is this
possible
> from within NT?

> We are currently running D3 NT 7.1.4

> Richard Cross
> J&M Systems (UK) Ltd
> London, WC1N 1DX

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.


Tue, 13 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Running applications on client PCs from within D3 NT
If you are using some sort of terminal emulator - such as AccuTerm, you can
cause the terminal emulator to either execute the program or to display the
data.  Of course, the document would either have to be on the PC or on a
shared directory on NT.  You can check out AccuTerm at www.asent.com.

Larry Hazel


Quote:
> We are looking to execute a graphic file display application (GIF/JPG)
from
> within D3NT to run on client PCs to display scanned documents(the document
> name passed from D3). I have had some success with running applications on
> the server using the ! command prefix at TCL, e.g. !c:\runprog.exe but
would
> like some advice on how to execute programs on a client PC. Is this
possible
> from within NT?

> We are currently running D3 NT 7.1.4

> Richard Cross
> J&M Systems (UK) Ltd
> London, WC1N 1DX



Wed, 14 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Running applications on client PCs from within D3 NT

Quote:
> -----Original Message-----

> Posted At: Friday, February 25, 2000 3:48 PM
> Posted To: pick
> Conversation:      Running applications on client PCs from within D3 NT
> Subject:   Running applications on client PCs from within D3 NT

> We are looking to execute a graphic file display application (GIF/JPG)
> from
> within D3NT to run on client PCs to display scanned documents(the
> document
> name passed from D3). I have had some success with running
> applications on
> the server using the ! command prefix at TCL, e.g. !c:\runprog.exe but
> would
> like some advice on how to execute programs on a client PC. Is this
> possible
> from within NT?

We use wIntegrate as our emulator. On PI/Open, we used to use BASIC to
create an rtf document, then caused Word to fire up on the pc and load
the document. We're now on UniVerse, and haven't bothered to properly
port this, but it's supposed to work fine (the port broke something
somewhere).

But wIntegrate contains an API specifically for doing just this. Just be
careful, because some apps will not take kindly to being started twice -
I think that's the problem we hit. Or it was something to do with our
Word.exe being moved so the "execute this program" failed because the
path name was wrong :-(



Fri, 16 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Running applications on client PCs from within D3 NT
Anthony

You can try OSFI to "import" documents / images directly into D3 on the
client side .

HTH


message

Quote:

> > -----Original Message-----

> > Posted At: Friday, February 25, 2000 3:48 PM
> > Posted To: pick
> > Conversation: Running applications on client PCs from within D3 NT
> > Subject: Running applications on client PCs from within D3 NT

> > We are looking to execute a graphic file display application (GIF/JPG)
> > from
> > within D3NT to run on client PCs to display scanned documents(the
> > document
> > name passed from D3). I have had some success with running
> > applications on
> > the server using the ! command prefix at TCL, e.g. !c:\runprog.exe but
> > would
> > like some advice on how to execute programs on a client PC. Is this
> > possible
> > from within NT?

> We use wIntegrate as our emulator. On PI/Open, we used to use BASIC to
> create an rtf document, then caused Word to fire up on the pc and load
> the document. We're now on UniVerse, and haven't bothered to properly
> port this, but it's supposed to work fine (the port broke something
> somewhere).

> But wIntegrate contains an API specifically for doing just this. Just be
> careful, because some apps will not take kindly to being started twice -
> I think that's the problem we hit. Or it was something to do with our
> Word.exe being moved so the "execute this program" failed because the
> path name was wrong :-(



Fri, 16 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Running applications on client PCs from within D3 NT
What's the specific application that you want to fire up?  My personal
preference for something like this would be to either use AccuTerm or create a
small VB program of your own that interfaces to D3 and then fires up an app
using the data retrieved.

My talk at the World User Conference coming up in April will be chock full of
examples of how to interface D3 data with other environments including
multimedia.  For anyone who wants to interface their database to the outside
world, I invite you to the presentation. (FlashCONNECT Advanced Technologies and
Techniques with Jack Roth and myself)

Regards,
Tony

Quote:

> We are looking to execute a graphic file display application (GIF/JPG) from
> within D3NT to run on client PCs to display scanned documents(the document
> name passed from D3). I have had some success with running applications on
> the server using the ! command prefix at TCL, e.g. !c:\runprog.exe but would
> like some advice on how to execute programs on a client PC. Is this possible
> from within NT?

> We are currently running D3 NT 7.1.4

> Richard Cross
> J&M Systems (UK) Ltd
> London, WC1N 1DX

--

http://members.home.net/gravagno/index.html


Wed, 21 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Running applications on client PCs from within D3 NT
We have a Windows application that we developed to convert legacy (VDU or
"green screen") applications to run within the Windows GUI while maintaining
a terminal interface to the application. It supports a VT100 emulation as
well as its graphical interface.

Apart from its interface capabilities, it has full links to the Windows API
set - which can be accessed from back-end code via simple escape-sequences.
One of the APIs is for document management and opening a GIF or JPG file via
a BASIC program is child's play.

You can see details of the product - Sideline 4 - at our web site
http://www.byline.co.uk by clicking the Sideline 4 option in the Products
menu. You can download a trial copy from the site. The sample source code
provided has examples of what you want to do.

--
Kind regards

George Perfect
Byline Group

http://www.byline.co.uk


Quote:
> What's the specific application that you want to fire up?  My personal
> preference for something like this would be to either use AccuTerm or
create a
> small VB program of your own that interfaces to D3 and then fires up an
app
> using the data retrieved.

> My talk at the World User Conference coming up in April will be chock full
of
> examples of how to interface D3 data with other environments including
> multimedia.  For anyone who wants to interface their database to the
outside
> world, I invite you to the presentation. (FlashCONNECT Advanced
Technologies and
> Techniques with Jack Roth and myself)

> Regards,
> Tony


> > We are looking to execute a graphic file display application (GIF/JPG)
from
> > within D3NT to run on client PCs to display scanned documents(the
document
> > name passed from D3). I have had some success with running applications
on
> > the server using the ! command prefix at TCL, e.g. !c:\runprog.exe but
would
> > like some advice on how to execute programs on a client PC. Is this
possible
> > from within NT?

> > We are currently running D3 NT 7.1.4

> > Richard Cross
> > J&M Systems (UK) Ltd
> > London, WC1N 1DX

> --

> http://members.home.net/gravagno/index.html



Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. D3 ODBC Problems - PC Client Stops Responding

2. D3/NT FILE ERROR WITHIN FLASH BASIC

3. D3/NT stand alone on a networked PC

4. Direсеrtly sending E-mail From D3 (D3/NT ior D3/Linux)

5. Running application from within SQL Server.

6. Running Access report from within VB6 application

7. help!! running Explorer from within JAVA application

8. Calling the UIB within a running application

9. PC rebooting when running application.

10. Running external programs from within dBASE3+ application?

11. Running another application from within Foxpro

12. Running OR 4.0 applications on Linux PCs?


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software