Volume serial number of a hard disk 
Author Message
 Volume serial number of a hard disk


Quote:

>I'd like to know how can i find out the volume serial number of a
>hard disk without using "chkdsk" or using it in a way that the result
>is not visibile on the screen.

>P.S. I work with Fox Pro 2.6a for Windows

>thank

Fabio,

The Win32 API has a function called GetVolumeInformation that can be
called from both WIn95 and Win32S, from kernel32.dll.  I'm pretty rusty on
using the foxtools.fll for calling windows functions, but hopefully
someone else will see this and chip in :)

Bob Parker
Ameritel and Funding Visions



Tue, 30 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Volume serial number of a hard disk

I don't know if this helps, but in the Compuserve FoxPro forum
there is a freeware utility called SERIAL.ZIP which contains
SERIAL.BIN, a binary file you can call from FP (including FPW 2.6)
that returns a disk's serial number. I've DL'd the file, but I'm
not sure how I'd get it to you. Here's how you call it:

LOAD "c:\somedir\serial.bin"
Drv = "C:                 "
CALL serial WITH Drv
RELEASE MODULE "c:\somedir\serial.bin"

The variable Drv should now contain the volume serial number. Let
me know if I can help at all.

--
Shawn Kelly, Travelers Insurance



Fri, 03 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Volume serial number of a hard disk

Quote:

>I'd like to know how can I find out the volume serial number of a hard
>disk without using chkdsk.exe or using it in a way that the result is
>not visible on the screen.
>P.S. I work with FoxPro 2.6a for Windows

You may try
run dir > temp$$$$.tmp
* then you can either use
* vHandle = fopen('TEMP$$$$.TXT')
* and read it with fget(); try this command from DOS prompt to familiarize
* yourself with file format - you'll know where to look for serial number
* then use
* =fclose(vHandle)
* or you may import the file (type sdf) into database and parse the field.
* Then do
delete file TEMP$$$$.TXT

Quote:
>Thank you.

You're welcome.  Hope this helps.




Sat, 04 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Volume serial number of a hard disk

Quote:


>>I'd like to know how can I find out the volume serial number of a hard
>>disk without using chkdsk.exe or using it in a way that the result is
>>not visible on the screen.
>>P.S. I work with FoxPro 2.6a for Windows
>You may try
>run dir > temp$$$$.tmp
>* then you can either use
>* vHandle = fopen('TEMP$$$$.TXT')
>* and read it with fget(); try this command from DOS prompt to familiarize
>* yourself with file format - you'll know where to look for serial number
>* then use
>* =fclose(vHandle)
>* or you may import the file (type sdf) into database and parse the field.
>* Then do
>delete file TEMP$$$$.TXT

        I have tried that, until I found that there are many people who use
norton dos, or several other shells that modify the display when you
type dir. :( no use.

Desde aqui,... Nomada



Sun, 12 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Volume serial number of a hard disk

Quote:


>>>I'd like to know how can I find out the volume serial number of a hard
>>>disk without using chkdsk.exe or using it in a way that the result is
>>>not visible on the screen.
>>>P.S. I work with FoxPro 2.6a for Windows
>>You may try
>>run dir > temp$$$$.tmp

[ snip about file parsing ]

Quote:
>>delete file TEMP$$$$.TXT
>    I have tried that, until I found that there are many people who use
>norton dos, or several other shells that modify the display when you
>type dir. :( no use.

I have yet to see a DOS shell which doesn't have SERIAL nnnn-nnnn (or the
lower case equivalent).  Anyway, if this is the problem,
RUN CHKDSK > TEMP$$$$.TMP
should work as well.




Mon, 13 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Volume serial number of a hard disk

Quote:
>>run dir > temp$$$$.tmp

 I have tried that, until I found that there are many people who use

Quote:
>norton dos, or several other shells that modify the display when you
>type dir. :( no use.

How about

!vol>text.txt

Good luck

Sal



Tue, 14 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Volume serial number of a hard disk

Quote:
>>        I have tried that, until I found that there are many people who use
>>norton dos, or several other shells that modify the display when you
>>type dir. :( no use.
>I have yet to see a DOS shell which doesn't have SERIAL nnnn-nnnn (or the
>lower case equivalent).  

        :) Well, you just have to check on Norton Dos, 4-DOS or DR-DOS Ver. 5.
:)

Desde aqui,... Nomada



Fri, 17 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Hard Disk Serial Number

2. Obtaining Hard Disk Serial Number

3. API for the hard disk label and serial number

4. SQL Server can't see a hard disk volumes

5. Hard disk serial number or Ethernet card serial number.

6. Hard disk serial no.

7. MACINTOSH - Foxpro routine to grab hard disk serial #

8. Volume Serial Number -- Easy One

9. Retrieving the DOS Volume Serial Number

10. HD VOLUME SERIAL NUMBER

11. Volume Serial Number

12. Getting volume serial number from FoxPro


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software