Newbie Help Unidata 5.2 and missing tables? 
Author Message
 Newbie Help Unidata 5.2 and missing tables?

Hello. I'm very new to Unidata but I've worked on other types of
databases. Here's my problem:

I've successfully connected to Unidata 5.2 (on AIX) through ODBC and
I've been able to see tables and retrieve data through a Visual Basic
application that I created. The problem is that it somehow ODBC
doesn't show all of the tables that should be available to me. For
example, our company has a table in Unidata called ORDER. I'm certain
our PICK-based application uses it but somehow it doesn't show up in
ODBC.

What's the reason for this? Could it be user privileges or file
restrictions? How can I make these tables visible.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

MH



Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:58:03 GMT
 Newbie Help Unidata 5.2 and missing tables?


Quote:
>Hello. I'm very new to Unidata but I've worked on other types of
>databases. Here's my problem:

>I've successfully connected to Unidata 5.2 (on AIX) through ODBC and
>I've been able to see tables and retrieve data through a Visual Basic
>application that I created. The problem is that it somehow ODBC
>doesn't show all of the tables that should be available to me. For
>example, our company has a table in Unidata called ORDER. I'm certain
>our PICK-based application uses it but somehow it doesn't show up in
>ODBC.

>What's the reason for this? Could it be user privileges or file
>restrictions? How can I make these tables visible.

>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

>MH

Not sure but have a look at the file pointer in the VOC, if it has a
description after the 'F' on attribute 1, then remove it, so you're
just left with 'F'

Russ



Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:37:50 GMT
 Newbie Help Unidata 5.2 and missing tables?

Quote:

> Hello. I'm very new to Unidata but I've worked on other types of
> databases. Here's my problem:

> I've successfully connected to Unidata 5.2 (on AIX) through ODBC and
> I've been able to see tables and retrieve data through a Visual Basic
> application that I created. The problem is that it somehow ODBC
> doesn't show all of the tables that should be available to me. For
> example, our company has a table in Unidata called ORDER. I'm certain
> our PICK-based application uses it but somehow it doesn't show up in
> ODBC.

> What's the reason for this? Could it be user privileges or file
> restrictions? How can I make these tables visible.

The reason this happens is that there is a process involved in building an
ODBC accessible schema from a UniData account - it isn't automatic.  You may
even find that the ODBC accessible schema lives in a different account
altogether and just uses VOC pointers (sort of database links) to get at
data in the 'pick' application account.

If you can find the account which ODBC actually connects to, you could add a
VOC entry and (ODBC) catalog entries for the ORDER file to make it visible
via ODBC, but you need to be careful about this because part of the process
'cleans up' existing dictionary items which are not SQL compatible.  If you
do this against production 'pick' application dictionaries the 'pick'
application may stop working.  Normally you'd want to set up a copy of the
D_ORDER file which is local to your ODBC catalog account and then run
CONVERT.SQL and use VSG to build views/subtables against that rather than
going direct against the live one.  The production data can still be
accessed direct if you set up the VOC pointer to reference its path, but the
dictionary used would be separate to the one used by the 'pick' application.

If your application is owned and maintained by a VAR, then there may be a
good reason that they haven't provided you with ODBC access to the ORDER
file.  They may not be prepared to support you if you start interpreting
data directly out of a raw transaction file, or more importantly posting
orders directly into it!

You may also find that you get better mileage posting UniData or UniVerse

than you get via cdp.  Increasingly small sections of UniData and UniVerse
behave like pick, so the response here is likely to be increasingly far from
the mark.

Best Regards,

Ken Wallis
Empower Data Solutions Pty Limited
Blue Mountains, Sydney, Australia



Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:15:25 GMT
 Newbie Help Unidata 5.2 and missing tables?
Thank you Ken. :) I'll investigate the VOC entry for the ORDER file
some more. And, Yes, our application (including the server and all its
software) were provided to us by a VAR/reseller.

Another question: I don't have a copy of Informix VSG. Does this come
free with UniData 5.2? Is this something that's freely downloable from
Informix for registered UniData users? I've spent an hour on Google
but could not find a single reference to the
download/purchase/trial_download of Informix VSG. I assume that I need
this to expose the tables to ODBC. I could also use the Schema API,
but it's too cumbersome, at least for my purposes.

MH
(in TORONTO)

Quote:


> > Hello. I'm very new to Unidata but I've worked on other types of
> > databases. Here's my problem:

> > I've successfully connected to Unidata 5.2 (on AIX) through ODBC and
> > I've been able to see tables and retrieve data through a Visual Basic
> > application that I created. The problem is that it somehow ODBC
> > doesn't show all of the tables that should be available to me. For
> > example, our company has a table in Unidata called ORDER. I'm certain
> > our PICK-based application uses it but somehow it doesn't show up in
> > ODBC.

> > What's the reason for this? Could it be user privileges or file
> > restrictions? How can I make these tables visible.

> The reason this happens is that there is a process involved in building an
> ODBC accessible schema from a UniData account - it isn't automatic.  You may
> even find that the ODBC accessible schema lives in a different account
> altogether and just uses VOC pointers (sort of database links) to get at
> data in the 'pick' application account.

> If you can find the account which ODBC actually connects to, you could add a
> VOC entry and (ODBC) catalog entries for the ORDER file to make it visible
> via ODBC, but you need to be careful about this because part of the process
> 'cleans up' existing dictionary items which are not SQL compatible.  If you
> do this against production 'pick' application dictionaries the 'pick'
> application may stop working.  Normally you'd want to set up a copy of the
> D_ORDER file which is local to your ODBC catalog account and then run
> CONVERT.SQL and use VSG to build views/subtables against that rather than
> going direct against the live one.  The production data can still be
> accessed direct if you set up the VOC pointer to reference its path, but the
> dictionary used would be separate to the one used by the 'pick' application.

> If your application is owned and maintained by a VAR, then there may be a
> good reason that they haven't provided you with ODBC access to the ORDER
> file.  They may not be prepared to support you if you start interpreting
> data directly out of a raw transaction file, or more importantly posting
> orders directly into it!

> You may also find that you get better mileage posting UniData or UniVerse

> than you get via cdp.  Increasingly small sections of UniData and UniVerse
> behave like pick, so the response here is likely to be increasingly far from
> the mark.

> Best Regards,

> Ken Wallis
> Empower Data Solutions Pty Limited
> Blue Mountains, Sydney, Australia



Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:42:08 GMT
 Newbie Help Unidata 5.2 and missing tables?

Quote:

> Thank you Ken. :) I'll investigate the VOC entry for the ORDER file
> some more. And, Yes, our application (including the server and all its
> software) were provided to us by a VAR/reseller.

> Another question: I don't have a copy of Informix VSG. Does this come
> free with UniData 5.2? Is this something that's freely downloable from
> Informix for registered UniData users? I've spent an hour on Google
> but could not find a single reference to the
> download/purchase/trial_download of Informix VSG. I assume that I need
> this to expose the tables to ODBC. I could also use the Schema API,
> but it's too cumbersome, at least for my purposes.

VSG is on the client CD which should have come with your 5.2 DBMS CD.  If
you really don't have it, you could probably download and use the client CD
that comes with the UD 6.0 Personal Edition.
https://www-927.ibm.com/software/data/u2/support/u2techconnect/udt6pe...  I
suspect the 6.0 clients ought to be able to talk to the 5.2 server.

HTH,

Ken

Quote:
>> If your application is owned and maintained by a VAR, then there may
>> be a good reason that they haven't provided you with ODBC access to
>> the ORDER file.  They may not be prepared to support you if you
>> start interpreting data directly out of a raw transaction file, or
>> more importantly posting orders directly into it!

>> You may also find that you get better mileage posting UniData or
>> UniVerse specific queries to the U2 mailing list

>> Increasingly small sections of UniData and UniVerse behave like
>> pick, so the response here is likely to be increasingly far from the
>> mark.

>> Best Regards,

>> Ken Wallis
>> Empower Data Solutions Pty Limited
>> Blue Mountains, Sydney, Australia



Sat, 16 Jul 2005 06:29:25 GMT
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. DB2 Newbie needs help with DB2 5.2 ODBC: can browse schema, but get no data

2. Problem with WinXP and Unidata 5.2

3. UniData 5.2 Socket Support

4. Unidata 5.2 Issue

5. VB.NET and UniOleDB on Unidata 5.2

6. Abort on EV Command - Unidata 5.2

7. Newbie DBA : Migrating from 5.2 to 6.1

8. jConnect 5.2 and LOCK TABLE command

9. Temp or Perm Tables on UDB 5.2 for Performance

10. Help - Crash DB2 v 5.2 FP15 (WR21217)

11. Help Command Center ver 5.2

12. HELP: new to db2 5.2


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software