Microsoft Access 
Author Message
 Microsoft Access

I got Access yesterday, dismayed to learn there is no runtime license
included, supposed to be a runtime kit in Feb. which will list for $495.

The program is _S_L_O_W_.  It does disk read/writes while nothing seemingly is
going on, i.e., you're sitting there reading the help screen for a few
minutes, and the hard drive kicks in for a few seconds for no obvious reason.

I admit I'm a newbie dbms user, but I never thought it would be like this.
Wait for Paradox Win, seems this was rushed to market to get the jump on
Borland and still needs a good bit of optimization.  



Thu, 01 Jun 1995 00:53:00 GMT
 Microsoft Access

I have a question regarding running FoxPro 2.0 on a Novell Network.  I was
recently informed by a friend that FoxPro requires a dedicated DBMS server.
He said there is no way to run FoxPro off of the Novell Server but rather
FoxPro requires its own workstation which runs so slow that it almost has to
be dedicated.  I am new to networks and still learning how they work. I know
that I do not want to have to use two machines as servers if I don't have to.
I have been programming in FoxPro single user environments and I will use another DBMS if I have to.  I have heard that FoxPro 2.5 comes 'multi user' ready,
and that a license activates those capabilities.  So, to sum up my gibberish,
Does FoxPro 2.0 require a dedicated server and will 2.5 correct this?

                                Thanks in Advance.



Thu, 01 Jun 1995 02:16:58 GMT
 Microsoft Access

Quote:
>I have a question regarding running FoxPro 2.0 on a Novell Network.  I was
>recently informed by a friend that FoxPro requires a dedicated DBMS server.

After having developed a commercially released multiuser foxpro 2.0
product, this is news to me. The only question would have to be .tmp
files. They reside locally on workstations while funning the foxpro
envirmonment. However, they are not present in compiled foxpro appliaction.

Its quite nice on a network and could  never be described as slow.

Josh Guttman

--

Uncle_Remus - 404-355-0001   "Yeah, I've heard of Internet" - GSU User Services
       "I tried safe sex once, but I couldn't remember the combination" - Me
  "If you're gonna rock the boat, make sure you know who owns the ship" - Me



Thu, 01 Jun 1995 03:59:11 GMT
 Microsoft Access

Quote:

>I got Access yesterday, dismayed to learn there is no runtime license
>included, supposed to be a runtime kit in Feb. which will list for $495.
>The program is _S_L_O_W_.  It does disk read/writes while nothing seemingly is
>going on, i.e., you're sitting there reading the help screen for a few
>minutes, and the hard drive kicks in for a few seconds for no obvious reason.
>I admit I'm a newbie dbms user, but I never thought it would be like this.
>Wait for Paradox Win, seems this was rushed to market to get the jump on
>Borland and still needs a good bit of optimization.  

Which I, frankly, find a perfect reason to buy it.  By the time you
have your first apps ready, an optimized version will be out :-)
I hate waiting.  Besides, if you want to talk about slow, take a look
at ObjectVision - now, *that* is _slow_ redefined.


Thu, 01 Jun 1995 04:35:13 GMT
 Microsoft Access

Quote:
>So, to sum up my gibberish,
>Does FoxPro 2.0 require a dedicated server and will 2.5 correct this?

        Fox will work fine off a Novell server.  Place it wherever you like
(mine is on path x:\foxpro\) and run it as you wish.  A 25MHz 386 box
running Novell 2.15c will keep up with 10 Fox users at a time, and those
fox users can be running any workstation you care for above an XT.  I've
found that 16MHz 286 machines with 2M of RAM are quite capable of handling
most usage, though a 386 with loads of extra memory speeds things up a lot.

        I have no idea what 2.5 is going to be like.  Somebody mentioned a
"six pack" network version.  If I have to pay extra for more than six users,
I'm sticking to version 2.0 -- I refuse to limit my software licenses.


<  ISU only censors what I read, not what I say.  Don't blame them.  >
<  "This isn't an answer, it's a pagan dance around a midnight fire  >
<   written in intellectual runes." -- Rich Young                    >



Thu, 01 Jun 1995 06:45:44 GMT
 Microsoft Access


Quote:

>    I have no idea what 2.5 is going to be like.  Somebody mentioned a
>"six pack" network version.  If I have to pay extra for more than six users,
>I'm sticking to version 2.0 -- I refuse to limit my software licenses.

   They are currently selling 2.0 in six-packs. However, when I called for my
free upgrade disks to the most recently patched version of 2.0, they said that
our unlimited license is good, but that I was to install one copy of the
executable for every six users, or some such nonsense. I hope that when we 2.0
users upgrade, that we will get this same treatment, although it sounds a bit
kludgy.

   To reply to the originator of this thread, no, the claim that Foxpro needs
a dedicated server is a twisted lie, probably concocted in the bowels of Fox's
competitors ;-).
--
*  __                _____                        Brian Jepson


*                         `- /



Thu, 01 Jun 1995 07:13:01 GMT
 Microsoft Access

Quote:

>    I have no idea what 2.5 is going to be like.  Somebody mentioned a
>"six pack" network version.  If I have to pay extra for more than six users,
>I'm sticking to version 2.0 -- I refuse to limit my software licenses.

The "Six-pack" version is referring to use of the actual foxpro environment.
Distributed exe's have unlimited network usage. BTW, this has been the only
way to get foxpro 2.0 lan since a little while before micosoft bought out fox.

Josh Guttman
InterMed Software

--

Uncle_Remus - 404-355-0001   "Yeah, I've heard of Internet" - GSU User Services
       "I tried safe sex once, but I couldn't remember the combination" - Me
  "If you're gonna rock the boat, make sure you know who owns the ship" - Me



Thu, 01 Jun 1995 11:55:04 GMT
 Microsoft Access

Quote:

>The "Six-pack" version is referring to use of the actual foxpro environment.
>Distributed exe's have unlimited network usage. BTW, this has been the only
>way to get foxpro 2.0 lan since a little while before micosoft bought out fox.

        Then Microsoft won't mind if I hang onto my money.  I bought the
distribution kit, but there is no way I am going to make all of my code
individual .exe's and forsake the fox environment for my users just to stay
within some software license.

        Sorry, Microsoft, but I refuse to limit myself because you think
I should.  Your 2.0 environment is perfect for my needs, and I won't change.


<  ISU only censors what I read, not what I say.  Don't blame them.  >
<  "This isn't an answer, it's a pagan dance around a midnight fire  >
<   written in intellectual runes." -- Rich Young                    >



Thu, 01 Jun 1995 14:53:18 GMT
 Microsoft Access

Quote:

>        I have no idea what 2.5 is going to be like.  Somebody mentioned a
>"six pack" network version.  If I have to pay extra for more than six users,
>I'm sticking to version 2.0 -- I refuse to limit my software licenses.

I agree, but from what I've heard, that is going to be the case.  Microsoft
doesn't understand the Foxpro developer userbase.  They must think that
speed is the only reason developers picked Foxpro.  If that is their game,
they are in trouble, because Microsoft has never been very good at fast
programs.


Sun, 04 Jun 1995 23:41:45 GMT
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Microsoft Access table to Microsoft Outlook Address List

2. Microsoft][Microsoft Access Driver]Data Source Name too long

3. --2147467259[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Error in row

4. #-2147217900: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]

5. Access to to a productively MSSQL-Database with Microsoft Access

6. Accessing a Microsoft Access Query with a user defined function in VB.

7. Working with ODBC to Access Microsoft Access

8. Accessing Microsoft Access from Delphi

9. Does user need Microsoft Access License to use EXE file that access .MDB file

10. Accessing Microsoft Access 7 through my VB Application

11. Accessing Delphi (Paradox?) data using Microsoft Access 97

12. Problem accessing System table in Microsoft Access via ODBC


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software