Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$ 
Author Message
 Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$

In case you are considering a help authoring tool- I wanted to let you know
about the upgrade policy for ForeHelp.

Borland sells this tool for a reasonable $79.00, or so.  They have version
1.0 only.  The current version is 2.1, available only from ForeFront Inc., and
it is not Windows 95 capable.  If you buy or have bought the tool from
Borland, you will have to pay AT LEAST $89.00 to upgrade to version 2.0.  I
say AT LEAST, because you will only qualify for that price if you pruchased
before 10/1/95, otherwise the upgrade price is not available.  Full price is
$289.00 (if memory serves).  This latest version has some enhancements, but
doesn't yet have right-click functionality.  It is missing lots of other
features as well.

The Windows 95 version is not out yet, but will cost $395.00 for those who
don't qualify for an upgrade.  If you do qualify, the price is $89.00.

TO QUALIFY FOR A VERSION UPGRADE YOU HAVE TO BUY ALL INTERMEDIATE UPGRADES AS
WELL.  This means that if you purchase ForeHelp 1.0 from Borland today, and
want to upgrade to the windows 95 version when it is available- then you will
have to buy the upgrade to version 2.0, followed by the upgrade to version
2.95.  That's a $180.00 upgrade (unless you have to buy version 2.1 also).

I think I'll stick with Visual Help Pro.  Their upgrade is only $19.00 and
they have lots of features that ForeHelp omits.   I only wish that tool could
import RTF like ForeHelp.  At these prices, I can cut and paste.

I thought you'd want to know...

Bill Keeler

........................................................


Online PC Help - Computer Consulting, Custom Programming

My opinions are ... well, what do you think?



Thu, 30 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$

Not speaking for ForeHelp or anyone but me, it's still pretty dang cheap,
i.e., less than RoboHelp or maybe even Doc-To-Help. If you're seriously
into WinHelp development, i.e., trying to make a living at doing nothing
but, there's no question that a good tool pays you back in a week or
less, on the same principle as faster hardware.


says...

Quote:

>In case you are considering a help authoring tool- I wanted to let you
know
>about the upgrade policy for ForeHelp.

>Borland sells this tool for a reasonable $79.00, or so.  They have
version
>1.0 only.  The current version is 2.1, available only from ForeFront
Inc., and
>it is not Windows 95 capable.  If you buy or have bought the tool from
>Borland, you will have to pay AT LEAST $89.00 to upgrade to version 2.0.
 I
>say AT LEAST, because you will only qualify for that price if you
pruchased
>before 10/1/95, otherwise the upgrade price is not available.  Full price
is
>$289.00 (if memory serves).  This latest version has some enhancements,
but
>doesn't yet have right-click functionality.  It is missing lots of other
>features as well.

>The Windows 95 version is not out yet, but will cost $395.00 for those
who
>don't qualify for an upgrade.  If you do qualify, the price is $89.00.

>TO QUALIFY FOR A VERSION UPGRADE YOU HAVE TO BUY ALL INTERMEDIATE
UPGRADES AS
>WELL.  This means that if you purchase ForeHelp 1.0 from Borland today,
and
>want to upgrade to the windows 95 version when it is available- then you
will
>have to buy the upgrade to version 2.0, followed by the upgrade to
version
>2.95.  That's a $180.00 upgrade (unless you have to buy version 2.1
also).

>I think I'll stick with Visual Help Pro.  Their upgrade is only $19.00
and
>they have lots of features that ForeHelp omits.   I only wish that tool
could
>import RTF like ForeHelp.  At these prices, I can cut and paste.

>I thought you'd want to know...

>Bill Keeler

>........................................................


>Online PC Help - Computer Consulting, Custom Programming

>My opinions are ... well, what do you think?



Sun, 02 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$

Quote:

>In case you are considering a help authoring tool- I wanted to let you know
>about the upgrade policy for ForeHelp.
[snip]
>I think I'll stick with Visual Help Pro.  Their upgrade is only $19.00 and
>they have lots of features that ForeHelp omits.   I only wish that tool could
>import RTF like ForeHelp.  At these prices, I can cut and paste.

I myself use Help Writers Assistant from Olson Software in New Zealand
(hiya down there, how's the Kiwi crop coming? Bountiful, we hope!).
This is a reasonably-priced shareware tool that suits all my current
needs. As far as I can tell, it does anything ForeHelp does and then
some. For about 100 $ New Zealand I think you can register the
standard version.

I regret to say that I don't have Fred Olson's email address at hand,
if you want to try the shareware version look for files called
HWAWIN.ZIP or HWA21.ZIP. I'll be happy to look up Fred Olson's email
address, but only by popular request as it will take some datamining
<g>.

From the Low Lands at the other Side of the World (relative to New
Zealand),

Mario Pinkster.



Sun, 02 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$

Quote:


>>In case you are considering a help authoring tool- I wanted to let you know
>>about the upgrade policy for ForeHelp.
>[snip]
>>I think I'll stick with Visual Help Pro.  Their upgrade is only $19.00 and
>>they have lots of features that ForeHelp omits.   I only wish that tool could
>>import RTF like ForeHelp.  At these prices, I can cut and paste.

>I myself use Help Writers Assistant from Olson Software in New Zealand
>(hiya down there, how's the Kiwi crop coming? Bountiful, we hope!).
>This is a reasonably-priced shareware tool that suits all my current
>needs. As far as I can tell, it does anything ForeHelp does and then
>some. For about 100 $ New Zealand I think you can register the
>standard version.

I also find HWA easier to use than ForeHelp.

Quote:
>I regret to say that I don't have Fred Olson's email address at hand,
>if you want to try the shareware version look for files called
>HWAWIN.ZIP or HWA21.ZIP. I'll be happy to look up Fred Olson's email
>address, but only by popular request as it will take some datamining
><g>.


You can find HWA at:
http://nz.com/olson/
ftp://nz.com/olson/hwa21.zip

--

Tempest Software, Corvallis, Oregon, USA



Mon, 03 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$


Quote:



>>>In case you are considering a help authoring tool- I wanted to let you know
>>>about the upgrade policy for ForeHelp.
>>[snip]
>>>I think I'll stick with Visual Help Pro.  Their upgrade is only $19.00 and
>>>they have lots of features that ForeHelp omits.   I only wish that tool could
>>>import RTF like ForeHelp.  At these prices, I can cut and paste.

>>I myself use Help Writers Assistant from Olson Software in New Zealand
>>(hiya down there, how's the Kiwi crop coming? Bountiful, we hope!).
>>This is a reasonably-priced shareware tool that suits all my current
>>needs. As far as I can tell, it does anything ForeHelp does and then
>>some. For about 100 $ New Zealand I think you can register the
>>standard version.

>I also find HWA easier to use than ForeHelp.

>>I regret to say that I don't have Fred Olson's email address at hand,
>>if you want to try the shareware version look for files called
>>HWAWIN.ZIP or HWA21.ZIP. I'll be happy to look up Fred Olson's email
>>address, but only by popular request as it will take some datamining
>><g>.


>You can find HWA at:
>http://nz.com/olson/
>ftp://nz.com/olson/hwa21.zip

>--

>Tempest Software, Corvallis, Oregon, USA

This company is very unresponsive.  There have been several complaints
about it in the WinHelp-L mailing list.  The U.S. company that
distributes it though is very good.

In addition, there are many undocumented limitations to Olsonsoft
products like the HyperText suite, such as a limit of 32K bytes per
topic.

I would *stay away* unless you don't want support after the sale.
There have been reports of e-mails and phone calls going unanswered
for weeks.  My personal experience has been similar to the reported
complaints.  The company was interested in my feedback while there was
a potential sale, but when the project was put on hold due to
priorities we got a *very* cold shoulder.

Like I said, though, the U.S. distributor is a different story --
theyare good and have some good products of their own that are not
made byOlsonsoft.

Buyer beware.



Tue, 04 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$
Hey, I looked at virtually every help tool about a year ago and found
that ForeHelp was the BEST. Even at a couple hundred dollars its a good
stable tool. You can't go wrong owning this one!

--

-----

Carousel Design Solutions | America OnLine: MJKaras
6021 Logan Avenue South   | Voice: (612) 861-1284
Minneapolis MN 55419      | Fax:   (612) 861-1386
-----



Tue, 04 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$

|>[Olson Software, Ltd.] is very unresponsive.  There have been several
|>complaints about it in the WinHelp-L mailing list.  The U.S. company
|>that distributes it though is very good.

FWIW, I have had no problems getting a response within a day or two.
Help Writer's Assistant and the HyperText Suite are very cool products.
Don't pass them up because some people don't get replies to their questions
as soon as they would like.

Stephen
--
Stephen Michael Schimpf
Programmer/Analyst, UCLA Department of Physics and Astronomy
Author, {*filter*}Sky planetarium program for Microsoft Windows
{*filter*}Sky Home Page http://www.***.com/ {*filter*}sky.html



Tue, 04 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$

in reference to Olson Software and Help Writer's Assistant

Quote:
>This company is very unresponsive.  There have been several complaints
>about it in the WinHelp-L mailing list.  The U.S. company that
>distributes it though is very good.
>In addition, there are many undocumented limitations to Olsonsoft
>products like the HyperText suite, such as a limit of 32K bytes per
>topic.
>I would *stay away* unless you don't want support after the sale.
>There have been reports of e-mails and phone calls going unanswered
>for weeks.  My personal experience has been similar to the reported
>complaints.  The company was interested in my feedback while there was
>a potential sale, but when the project was put on hold due to
>priorities we got a *very* cold shoulder.
>Like I said, though, the U.S. distributor is a different story --
>theyare good and have some good products of their own that are not
>made byOlsonsoft.
>Buyer beware.

My recent dealings with Olson Software have been very positive.  E-mails have
been answered promptly and satisfactorily (within 48 hours).  As for the
software, perhaps HWA has its limitations, but for most help development
tasks, it is a great program at a reasonable price.

D.A.Welch



Tue, 04 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$
Please at the very least leave comp.lang.pascal.borland out of the
excessive crossposting distribution.

   All the best, Timo

....................................................................

Moderating at ftp:// & http://garbo.uwasa.fi archives  193.166.120.5
Department of Accounting and Business Finance  ; University of Vaasa



Wed, 05 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$

Normally, I don't respond to threads we are not involved in, but this message
contains some information I don't believe gives a true picture.

I'll start of explaining our position:
We are sorry that this person has a poor perception of our Company -
we believe that his criticims are totally unwarranted.  
- We believe that we provide the best WYSIWYG WinHelp authoring tool on the
market, at very competitive prices and we belive we provide excellent support
We are very concerned that this person is not satistified
with our support, but I would like to clear up some information which from our
perspective is not the case.

[Some details from satisified users of HWA removed]

Quote:
>>>I myself use Help Writers Assistant from Olson Software in New Zealand

[...]

Quote:
>>I also find HWA easier to use than ForeHelp.

>This company is very unresponsive.  There have been several complaints
>about it in the WinHelp-L mailing list.  The U.S. company that
>distributes it though is very good.

There have been two complaints - one from a customer who hadn't actually
sent us any messages that needed a response, and one from yourself (note
you were complaining about our US Distributor - NOT US - we NEVER received
the email you claim you sent us, and we have since found out that they
called you and I believe they may also have faxed you)

Quote:
>In addition, there are many undocumented limitations to Olsonsoft
>products like the HyperText suite, such as a limit of 32K bytes per
>topic.

This is not "undocumented" - only a minority of customers want to use > 32k
and we do indicate if you create a topic > 32k that this is the limit.  
We have no problems being honest about the limitations of our products.

Quote:
>I would *stay away* unless you don't want support after the sale.

Since you haven't purchased a product, I'm not sure how you can say
this?

Quote:
>There have been reports of e-mails and phone calls going unanswered
>for weeks.  

I am sorry, but this has never been reported to me or my staff.  You may
be talking about our US Distributor, who follow up on every call they get,
but of course as in a case like yours they are sometimes unable to get
hold of the customer.

Quote:
>My personal experience has been similar to the reported
>complaints.  

We are concerned that you have this perception - you don't seem to give
any details of how this occurred.  We do have thousands of happy customers
around the world.

Quote:
>The company was interested in my feedback while there was
>a potential sale, but when the project was put on hold due to
>priorities we got a *very* cold shoulder.

Your messages were responded to - you were asking for a free product
and we are not in the business of providing free software.

Quote:
>Like I said, though, the U.S. distributor is a different story --
>theyare good and have some good products of their own that are not
>made byOlsonsoft.

I'm sorry, but it appears to me (from the information provided in the
past and here by yourself, from our US Distributor and from my staff)
that neither our US Distributor or ourselves have done anything wrong.
According to our records your email was responded to very quickly, and
according to our US Distributor you were contacted very quickly by them.

I don't think that there is any point in a public slinging match - please
email concerns directly to me.

...Stefan

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Compuserve: 100352,1315         MSN:           olsonsoft
   Try out HWA/WinHelp - the visual and easy way to edit WinHelp files,
   HWA/HTML - the visual and easy way to create and manage Web sites
   or the HyperText Suite (HWA/WinHelp and HWA/HTML and much more!)!

   See http://nz.com/olson/ for more details or download an evaluation
   version from ftp://nz.com/olson/hwa21.zip
------------------------------------------------------------------------



Wed, 05 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$
Please let me help:

-From: ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/ts/tsfaqn44.zip Frequently Asked Questions
-Subject: Instructions about cross-posting

14. *****
 Q: What is cross-posting? How do I do it?

 A: As we all know, Usenet news have the newsgroups divided by the
topic areas. If you want your message to appear in more than one
newsgroup you can achieve this by cross-posting. If you look at the
header in the news you will notice the item Newsgroups:. Put the
names of the newsgroups in there separated by commas. Scan the
headers of almost any newsgroup, and you are bound to see how it is
done.
   The number one rule of cross-posting is that cross-posting should
never be used indiscriminately. If you feel that it is necessary to
cross-post, consider carefully your selection, and keep it down.
Avoid cross-posting to groups that are branches of the same
sub-hierarchy, that is don't cross-post to adjacent newsgroups.
   What goes for newsgroup selection in general, also applies to
cross-posting. Never cross-post to newsgroups which do not coincide
with your subject.
   There is one very important DON'T in cross-posting. Do not send
the same message separately to different newsgroups. Always use the
cross-posting facility of the news (Newsgroups:). If you repeat a
message separately in different newsgroups, the readers will have to
see your posting many times over, and will get annoyed. You have a
good chance of justifiably ending up flamed.
   I have heard that there are some newsreader programs that do not
allow editing the headers. I can only suggest contacting your system
manager or some other local guru about it. I have no further
information on this unusual dilemma since on most news programs
editing the headers is not a problem. Be careful, however, if you
edit the headers. Learn their exact requirements. If you make
mistakes, the posting may fail, and/or the followups to it by other
users may fail because of your editing errors. For example
 Newsgroups: comp.lang.pascal,comp.os.msdos.programmer,
would result in an error in following up because of the trailing
comma.

 A2: Here are a couple of further tips when you have got the hang of
cross posting. As you can see there is a "Followup-To:" field in the
news header. Sometimes you might want to direct the replies only a
to single newsgroup even if you have cross posted the original. The
rationale here is to prevent the discussion from scattering to
several newsgroups. Please consider using this option whenever you
cross post.
   Some users put the word poster in there to redirect the potential
replies directly to them by email. The problem with this method is
that even if it should work, it is not guaranteed to do so. Some
system configurations and newsreaders do not handle this correctly.
For example I usually get a bounce if I reply to such a posting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

   All the best, Timo

....................................................................

Moderating at ftp:// & http://garbo.uwasa.fi archives  193.166.120.5
Department of Accounting and Business Finance  ; University of Vaasa



Wed, 05 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Thinking about WinHelp Tools? Think $$$

2. How do you think about Quest tools?

3. what do you think about theese tools ?

4. what do you think about theese tools ?

5. what do you think about theese tools ?

6. I think that i UPDATE but SQL think that i DELETE please HELP !!!

7. Is it possible in VB 5 ? I do not think so, What do you think?

8. Is it possible in VB 5 ? I do not think so, What do you think?

9. Is it possible in VB 5 ? I do not think so, What do you think?

10. Substring question... I think

11. HELP......I think I blew it bigtime


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software