7.1 vacuum 
Author Message
 7.1 vacuum

How does 7.1 work now with the vacuum and all?

Does it go for indexes by default, even when i haven't run a vacuum at all?
Does vacuum lock up postgres? It says the analyze part shouldn't, but how's
that for all of the vacuum?

An 7.0.3 db we have here we are forced to run vacuum every hour to get an
acceptable speed, and while doing that vacuum (5-10 minutes) it totaly
blocks our application that's mucking with the db.

Just curious

Magnus Naeslund

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.***.com/



Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:13:51 GMT
 7.1 vacuum


Quote:
> How does 7.1 work now with the vacuum and all?

> Does it go for indexes by default, even when i haven't run a vacuum at all?
> Does vacuum lock up postgres? It says the analyze part shouldn't, but how's
> that for all of the vacuum?

> An 7.0.3 db we have here we are forced to run vacuum every hour to get an
> acceptable speed, and while doing that vacuum (5-10 minutes) it totaly
> blocks our application that's mucking with the db.

http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vacfix/

--

Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl



Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:55:47 GMT
 7.1 vacuum

Quote:


> > How does 7.1 work now with the vacuum and all?

> > Does it go for indexes by default, even when i haven't run a vacuum at all?
> > Does vacuum lock up postgres? It says the analyze part shouldn't, but how's
> > that for all of the vacuum?

> > An 7.0.3 db we have here we are forced to run vacuum every hour to get an
> > acceptable speed, and while doing that vacuum (5-10 minutes) it totaly
> > blocks our application that's mucking with the db.

> http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vacfix/

What's the deal with vacuum lazy in 7.1? I was looking forward to it. It was
never clear whether or not you guys decided to put it in.

If it is in as a feature, how does one use it?
If it is a patch, how does one get it?
If it is neither a patch nor an existing feature, has development stopped?

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster



Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:27:53 GMT
 7.1 vacuum

Quote:


> > > How does 7.1 work now with the vacuum and all?

> > > Does it go for indexes by default, even when i haven't run a vacuum at all?
> > > Does vacuum lock up postgres? It says the analyze part shouldn't, but how's
> > > that for all of the vacuum?

> > > An 7.0.3 db we have here we are forced to run vacuum every hour to get an
> > > acceptable speed, and while doing that vacuum (5-10 minutes) it totaly
> > > blocks our application that's mucking with the db.

> > http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vacfix/

> What's the deal with vacuum lazy in 7.1? I was looking forward to it. It was
> never clear whether or not you guys decided to put it in.

> If it is in as a feature, how does one use it?
> If it is a patch, how does one get it?

If you actually download and read the enclosed READMEs it's pretty
clear.

Quote:
> If it is neither a patch nor an existing feature, has development stopped?

I have no idea, I haven't been tracking postgresql all that much
since leaving the place where we contracted that work.

--

Represent yourself, show up at BABUG http://www.babug.org/

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command



Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:28:10 GMT
 7.1 vacuum

Quote:
> > What's the deal with vacuum lazy in 7.1? I was looking forward to it. It was
> > never clear whether or not you guys decided to put it in.

> > If it is in as a feature, how does one use it?
> > If it is a patch, how does one get it?

> If you actually download and read the enclosed READMEs it's pretty
> clear.

> > If it is neither a patch nor an existing feature, has development stopped?

> I have no idea, I haven't been tracking postgresql all that much
> since leaving the place where we contracted that work.

Vadim never got to merging into the 7.1 tree.

--
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us

  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------



Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:56:07 GMT
 7.1 vacuum

Quote:
> What's the deal with vacuum lazy in 7.1? I was looking
> forward to it. It was never clear whether or not you guys
> decided to put it in.

> If it is in as a feature, how does one use it?
> If it is a patch, how does one get it?
> If it is neither a patch nor an existing feature, has
> development stopped?

I still had no time to port it to 7.1 -:(
I'll post message to -hackers when it will be ready.

Vadim

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl



Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:56:16 GMT
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. LOs and pg_dump, restore, vacuum for 7.1

2. man vacuum is broken?? in 7.1

3. DB2 7.1 PDE or DB2 7.1 EE

4. 7.1 UC1 versus 7.1 UD1

5. RDBMS 7.1 on OpenVMS 7.1

6. DB2 PDE 7.1 on RedHat 7.1 problem

7. 7.1 on 7.1

8. RDBMS 7.1 on OpenVMS 7.1

9. 7.1 UC1 versus 7.1 UD1

10. Informix 7.1 Error 7.1

11. Move Oracle 7.1 on OpenVMS 6.1 to 7.1 VAX

12. Vacuum return codes (vacuum as db integrity check?)


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software