looking for a Database... 
Author Message
 looking for a Database...

i need a DB product with the following requirements:

* must work with VB4/16 (VB5 would be nice also)
* must run on Win 3.1 and Win95
* ability to retrieve data with basic SQL queries
* multi-user
* MUST be secure (i.e., it must offer encryption and/or password
protection to keep end users from viewing the data outside of the VB
app.)

any suggestions?!?

-steve



Sun, 06 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for a Database...

Whats wrong with MS Access?



Mon, 07 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for a Database...

Do you not think product price/licence is important ?

If price is not a problem go Oracle otherwise go SQL Server (and keep it in
the family).

Ro.

Quote:

>i need a DB product with the following requirements:

>* must work with VB4/16 (VB5 would be nice also)
>* must run on Win 3.1 and Win95
>* ability to retrieve data with basic SQL queries
>* multi-user
>* MUST be secure (i.e., it must offer encryption and/or password
>protection to keep end users from viewing the data outside of the VB
>app.)

>any suggestions?!?

>-steve




Mon, 07 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for a Database...

Quote:

> Whats wrong with MS Access?

Access 2.0 doesn't have password protection per MDB file. (it does have
some goofy System security, but that isn't useful for me)

-steve



Mon, 07 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for a Database...

Duh, Access does support security with individual databases.  I think you
need to research the whitepapers in the kb on Access security.  I'm not sure
where you got your source but it is wrong.

--
Later,
Tony

Quote:


>> Whats wrong with MS Access?

>Access 2.0 doesn't have password protection per MDB file. (it does have
>some goofy System security, but that isn't useful for me)

>-steve



Mon, 07 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for a Database...

Access 2 (which is what he is going to have to use, seeing as he's using
win3.1) doesn't support passwords per database (which access95 and 97 does).

Best bet would probably be to go with ODBC(sql server, oracle) or create
your own file format.

--

Don't forget to check out our web page for more great hints!
www.xtremecomp.com

Quote:

>Duh, Access does support security with individual databases.  I think you
>need to research the whitepapers in the kb on Access security.  I'm not
sure
>where you got your source but it is wrong.

>--
>Later,
>Tony



>>> Whats wrong with MS Access?

>>Access 2.0 doesn't have password protection per MDB file. (it does have
>>some goofy System security, but that isn't useful for me)

>>-steve



Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for a Database...

This might work for you, I've never tried it before (but have thought about
it).  Zip the mdb file and rename it so that it sounds  proprietary.  When the
application is opened, in code unzip the file into an "Admin" directory.  When
the application is closed, zip it back up and delete the *temp* mdb in the
Admin directory.  In addition you will have to have some sort of check (in case
the computer crashes or user just turns off the machine without exiting your
application) to see if the mdb file is still in the Admin directory and then
prompt the user for a "safe recovery"

Good Luck,

Chat
VB Developer for PC Scale

"Genius's and Fools, were all alike under God's eyes." - Unk
Msgbox "Now is a good time to PANIC!",  vbCritical, "Oops..." - Standard Error
Handler Message



Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for a Database...

Maybe you can give me more specifics, big guy. Everything i've
read/heard/experienced with Access 2 (Jet 2.5) says that you cannot password
protect a specific MDB file. This feature does exists in newer versions of
Access (Jet 3+), but i have been unable to make it work in earlier versions,
without using SYSTEM.MDA, which doesn't suit my needs.

-steve

Quote:

> Duh, Access does support security with individual databases.  I think you
> need to research the whitepapers in the kb on Access security.  I'm not sure
> where you got your source but it is wrong.



> >> Whats wrong with MS Access?

> >Access 2.0 doesn't have password protection per MDB file. (it does have
> >some goofy System security, but that isn't useful for me)

> >-steve



Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for a Database...

Oracle and SQL server would be overkill; too big, slow and costly for what i
need. i just need a simple desktop db that keeps users from reading the data
from any source other than the VB app.

-steve

Quote:

> Do you not think product price/licence is important ?

> If price is not a problem go Oracle otherwise go SQL Server (and keep it in
> the family).

> Ro.


> >i need a DB product with the following requirements:

> >* must work with VB4/16 (VB5 would be nice also)
> >* must run on Win 3.1 and Win95
> >* ability to retrieve data with basic SQL queries
> >* multi-user
> >* MUST be secure (i.e., it must offer encryption and/or password
> >protection to keep end users from viewing the data outside of the VB
> >app.)

> >any suggestions?!?

> >-steve




Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for a Database...

Couple things I forgot:

You can use the password protection in the zip file.
Make sure you open the database exclusivly (I believe that is possible, but
again I have not yet tried it.)
I also believe VB will open an Access database even if the extension is not
"mdb" but again I havn't tried it.

Good Luck,

Chat
VB Developer for PC Scale

"Genius's and Fools, were all alike under God's eyes." - Unk
Msgbox "Now is a good time to PANIC!",  vbCritical, "Oops..." - Standard Error
Handler Message



Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for a Database...



Quote:
>* MUST be secure (i.e., it must offer encryption and/or password
>protection to keep end users from viewing the data outside of the VB
>app.)



Quote:
>Maybe you can give me more specifics, big guy. Everything i've
>read/heard/experienced with Access 2 (Jet 2.5) says that you cannot password
>protect a specific MDB file. This feature does exists in newer versions of
>Access (Jet 3+), but i have been unable to make it work in earlier versions,
>without using SYSTEM.MDA, which doesn't suit my needs.

Ummm -- your need was "MUST be secure". If that means that you don't
have the patience/ intelligence/ ability/ design skills to manage the
the _very effective_ Jet security, then that's not what you said. If
you don't state your needs precisely, then you're not going to get
good answers. It also makes one wonder if your users shouldn't be
looking elsewhere too.....

Tim Ferguson



Wed, 09 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for a Database...

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998 00:00:05 GMT,

Quote:



>>* MUST be secure (i.e., it must offer encryption and/or password
>>protection to keep end users from viewing the data outside of the VB
>>app.)



>>Maybe you can give me more specifics, big guy. Everything i've
>>read/heard/experienced with Access 2 (Jet 2.5) says that you cannot password
>>protect a specific MDB file. This feature does exists in newer versions of
>>Access (Jet 3+), but i have been unable to make it work in earlier versions,
>>without using SYSTEM.MDA, which doesn't suit my needs.

>Ummm -- your need was "MUST be secure". If that means that you don't
>have the patience/ intelligence/ ability/ design skills to manage the
>the _very effective_ Jet security, then that's not what you said. If
>you don't state your needs precisely, then you're not going to get
>good answers. It also makes one wonder if your users shouldn't be
>looking elsewhere too.....

>Tim Ferguson


WoW Kinda of a chilly reply; nahhh not chilly just down and dirty cold
hearted; although true its still cold !


Wed, 09 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for a Database...

Steve,

The Access db that is a part of VB4 meeets all the requirements you have
listed.

This is the environment we are using.  Not to say there aren't other
databases that could be used, but Access does this job just fine and can
provide the security you have described.

HTH,

Doug

Quote:

>i need a DB product with the following requirements:

>* must work with VB4/16 (VB5 would be nice also)
>* must run on Win 3.1 and Win95
>* ability to retrieve data with basic SQL queries
>* multi-user
>* MUST be secure (i.e., it must offer encryption and/or password
>protection to keep end users from viewing the data outside of the VB
>app.)

>any suggestions?!?

>-steve




Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 14 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Looking for GPS database

2. Looking for the database

3. Looking for Principle Database Engineer (Redwood City, CA)

4. Looking for a database

5. Looking For A DataBase to use on Win95

6. Looking for some database report writing input?

7. Looking for a database !!!

8. Looking for Sr. Database Administrator Netherlands

9. Looking for web database software

10. Looking for the database

11. Buyers looking for software databases


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software