WWW database access using Java 
Author Message
 WWW database access using Java
Hi,.

Is there a Java based server scripting utility that allows the functionality
of embedding SQL steatements in the HTML itself. I am trying to hhook to a
ODBC/JDBC compliant database (Oracle) on a UNIX server. through a WWW server
also on UNIX.

I know Cold Fusion Solaris version can hook a UNIX based WWW server to an
ODBC complaint DB on UNIX. But the Enterprise version takes up > 27 MB way too
much for my modest university account. I can't try the program.


Alok



Thu, 21 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 WWW database access using Java

You should take a look at using servlets.  Try the free version of the JRun
servlet engine at www.livesoftware.com

Quote:

>Hi,.

>Is there a Java based server scripting utility that allows the
functionality
>of embedding SQL steatements in the HTML itself. I am trying to hhook to a
>ODBC/JDBC compliant database (Oracle) on a UNIX server. through a WWW
server
>also on UNIX.

>I know Cold Fusion Solaris version can hook a UNIX based WWW server to an
>ODBC complaint DB on UNIX. But the Enterprise version takes up > 27 MB way
too
>much for my modest university account. I can't try the program.


>Alok



Thu, 21 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 WWW database access using Java

Quote:

> Hi,.

> Is there a Java based server scripting utility that allows the functionality
> of embedding SQL steatements in the HTML itself. I am trying to hhook to a
> ODBC/JDBC compliant database (Oracle) on a UNIX server. through a WWW server
> also on UNIX.

> I know Cold Fusion Solaris version can hook a UNIX based WWW server to an
> ODBC complaint DB on UNIX. But the Enterprise version takes up > 27 MB way too
> much for my modest university account. I can't try the program.

Our InstantOnline Basic product uses a model similar to Cold Fusion, namely
tags embedded in HTML pages. But it's pure Java, based on the Servlet API,
and works with most web servers, all databases with a JDBC interface on all
platforms with a Java runtime. In other words, with pretty much anything.
Besides database access components, it also includes components for file
uploading and server-side file manipulation, sending emails, dynamic forms,
session data handling, and a lot of other features.

If you're interested you can read more, test our demos and download an
evaluation copy (bundled with a simple web server and an evaluation copy
of the InstantDB Java database) at http://www.gefionsoftware.com
--

Gefion Software         http://www.gefionsoftware.com



Mon, 25 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 WWW database access using Java
I don't know why you have your own email library.  Sunsoft has that anyway.  There
are at least 3 other products that do this as well, IBM's Websphere, Sun's ?, and
JRun.

Joel

Quote:


> > Hi,.

> > Is there a Java based server scripting utility that allows the functionality
> > of embedding SQL steatements in the HTML itself. I am trying to hhook to a
> > ODBC/JDBC compliant database (Oracle) on a UNIX server. through a WWW server
> > also on UNIX.

> > I know Cold Fusion Solaris version can hook a UNIX based WWW server to an
> > ODBC complaint DB on UNIX. But the Enterprise version takes up > 27 MB way too
> > much for my modest university account. I can't try the program.

> Our InstantOnline Basic product uses a model similar to Cold Fusion, namely
> tags embedded in HTML pages. But it's pure Java, based on the Servlet API,
> and works with most web servers, all databases with a JDBC interface on all
> platforms with a Java runtime. In other words, with pretty much anything.
> Besides database access components, it also includes components for file
> uploading and server-side file manipulation, sending emails, dynamic forms,
> session data handling, and a lot of other features.

> If you're interested you can read more, test our demos and download an
> evaluation copy (bundled with a simple web server and an evaluation copy
> of the InstantDB Java database) at http://www.gefionsoftware.com
> --

> Gefion Software         http://www.gefionsoftware.com



Mon, 02 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 WWW database access using Java

Quote:

> Hi,.

> Is there a Java based server scripting utility that allows the functionality
> of embedding SQL steatements in the HTML itself. I am trying to hhook to a
> ODBC/JDBC compliant database (Oracle) on a UNIX server. through a WWW server
> also on UNIX.

> I know Cold Fusion Solaris version can hook a UNIX based WWW server to an
> ODBC complaint DB on UNIX. But the Enterprise version takes up > 27 MB way too
> much for my modest university account. I can't try the program.


> Alok

I wrote a servlet with this functionality (SQLServlet, free).
http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~gotthard/SQLServlet.zip
Features:

- SQLServlet provides an easy way to access your database using
HTML-forms.
- Establish persistent connections to databases
- Dynamically generate HTML-tables from the result-set
- Create forms for inserts and updates
- Replace the values in the querystring by formvariables

Embedding SQL-Statments in HTML is security-risc, they should be stored
on the WWW-server.

--
Klaus Gotthardt,
Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universit?t,Verwaltungsdatenverarbeitung

Tel:+49 (0)69-798-23380
Fax:+49 (0)69-798-23381
Home,pgp-key: http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~gotthard



Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 WWW database access using Java

Quote:

> I don't know why you have your own email library.  Sunsoft has that anyway.  There
> are at least 3 other products that do this as well, IBM's Websphere, Sun's ?, and
> JRun.

I assume the question was directed to me. If not, please excuse the confusion.

WebSphere and JRun are servlet engine add-ons for web servers such as NES,
IIS and Apache, and there are other add-on products as well. Sun's JWS is
a web server with native servlet support.

InstantOnline is a set of servlets that run in one of these servlet engines,
so it doesn't duplicate the functionality of any of these products. With regards
to "own email library" our email servlet is based on Sun's JavaMail API. It just
makes it easier to use compared to developing your own email servlet based on
JavaMail.

--

Gefion Software         http://www.gefionsoftware.com



Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 WWW database access using Java

Quote:


> > Hi,.

> > Is there a Java based server scripting utility that allows the functionality
> > of embedding SQL steatements in the HTML itself. I am trying to hhook to a
> > ODBC/JDBC compliant database (Oracle) on a UNIX server. through a WWW server
> > also on UNIX.

> > I know Cold Fusion Solaris version can hook a UNIX based WWW server to an
> > ODBC complaint DB on UNIX. But the Enterprise version takes up > 27 MB way too
> > much for my modest university account. I can't try the program.


> > Alok

> I wrote a servlet with this functionality (SQLServlet, free).
> http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~gotthard/SQLServlet.zip
> Features:

> - SQLServlet provides an easy way to access your database using
> HTML-forms.
> - Establish persistent connections to databases
> - Dynamically generate HTML-tables from the result-set
> - Create forms for inserts and updates
> - Replace the values in the querystring by formvariables

> Embedding SQL-Statments in HTML is security-risc, they should be stored
> on the WWW-server.

With our InstantOnline product, which I assume you're referring to, the
SQL statements are stored on the WWW-server. They are embedded in the HTML page
using <SERVLET> tags but these tags are processed and replaced with pure
HTML by the server before it sends the page to the client. Therefore the
risk is not greater than any other server-side technology based on processing
files available through URLs (e.g. CGI). If the WWW-server is properly
configured there is no way a client can access the unprocessed file.
--

Gefion Software         http://www.gefionsoftware.com


Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. using www to access database server, Why?

2. Simple MS Access database using Java & SQL

3. Tool/code to clear owners on a Btrieve database using VB, Access or Java

4. using Java to import data into a new Access database

5. using Java to transfer data from a text file into an Access database

6. WWW-Database-JAVA

7. Access Oracle DB Using Java App (created using Jbuilder 3)

8. Using Java client-side applet to connect to database using Netscape Enterprise 3.0

9. ---JAVA-----JAVA-----JAVA-----JAVA-----JAVA-----JAVA-----JAVA-----JAVA---

10. http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu

11. WWW servers using databases


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software