Problems with DAO app 
Author Message
 Problems with DAO app

Hi,

I have a DAO app that i am beta testing.  It uses a Access 2000db for a
backend to load in products...etc.  It is a standalone app.  I am using Wise
to install and when installing it or unistalling it seems to corrupt some
Access apps we have.  I am testing to see if mdac is installed if not
install it.  So I am a bit confused why the Access apps are being corrupted.
The error is "Libary missing" and when I go into debug mode on the Access
app under references it says Microsoft DAO 3.5 is missing.  What is even
more weird is that the dll's are hidden in microsoftshared/dao.  So, I have
to go in a repoint the access app to the dll.  It seems to me that some how
my app running DAO 3.6 is overwriting the references in the Access app's.
Is this possible? Any ideas?

Thanks



Wed, 27 Apr 2005 01:29:32 GMT
 Problems with DAO app

First off, DAO 360 doesn't overwrite DAO 350. Its impossible.  They have no
common ground.  Both have entirely different guids and there isn't any
current version which points from one to ther other.

Secondly,  Microsoft Shared\DAO is where both DAO350 and DAO360 reside.

Third, you may be missing the license key. Fact is, I'm almost willing to
bet my unemployment check on the fact that you are.

Go to HTTP://msdn.microsoft.com  and search for DAO License. You find the
documentation dealing with this issue and this key.

You say you have to point your reference to DAO350 at Microosft Shared\DAO.

Only time this happens is when you are using a product that placed DAO350
into the windows\system32 directory. If this is the case, you're better off
not referencing the library and creating the object.

Furthermore, if you're using an Access2000 database, why are you using
DAO350? DAO350 will not open an Access2000 database. However, I have seen
instances where you could but past the point, you couldn't do anything else.

HTH


Quote:
> Hi,

> I have a DAO app that i am beta testing.  It uses a Access 2000db for a
> backend to load in products...etc.  It is a standalone app.  I am using
Wise
> to install and when installing it or unistalling it seems to corrupt some
> Access apps we have.  I am testing to see if mdac is installed if not
> install it.  So I am a bit confused why the Access apps are being
corrupted.
> The error is "Libary missing" and when I go into debug mode on the Access
> app under references it says Microsoft DAO 3.5 is missing.  What is even
> more weird is that the dll's are hidden in microsoftshared/dao.  So, I
have
> to go in a repoint the access app to the dll.  It seems to me that some
how
> my app running DAO 3.6 is overwriting the references in the Access app's.
> Is this possible? Any ideas?

> Thanks



Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:35:17 GMT
 Problems with DAO app
Thanks for the reply. I am not using DAO3.5 the Access db app that had the
error said the it was missing under references.  When looking at the problem
we found that neither of the computer which my app was installed had
DAO3.6dll.  So, when I installed my app it loaded 3.6.  My question is: When
the dll is registered will this take over 3.5?  It seems to me it does
because when I uninstall is removes 3.6dll and all the other dll's hidden.
We have made the move over to ADO was just wondering what the problem was.
Thanks again.



Quote:
> First off, DAO 360 doesn't overwrite DAO 350. Its impossible.  They have
no
> common ground.  Both have entirely different guids and there isn't any
> current version which points from one to ther other.

> Secondly,  Microsoft Shared\DAO is where both DAO350 and DAO360 reside.

> Third, you may be missing the license key. Fact is, I'm almost willing to
> bet my unemployment check on the fact that you are.

> Go to HTTP://msdn.microsoft.com  and search for DAO License. You find the
> documentation dealing with this issue and this key.

> You say you have to point your reference to DAO350 at Microosft
Shared\DAO.

> Only time this happens is when you are using a product that placed DAO350
> into the windows\system32 directory. If this is the case, you're better
off
> not referencing the library and creating the object.

> Furthermore, if you're using an Access2000 database, why are you using
> DAO350? DAO350 will not open an Access2000 database. However, I have seen
> instances where you could but past the point, you couldn't do anything
else.

> HTH



> > Hi,

> > I have a DAO app that i am beta testing.  It uses a Access 2000db for a
> > backend to load in products...etc.  It is a standalone app.  I am using
> Wise
> > to install and when installing it or unistalling it seems to corrupt
some
> > Access apps we have.  I am testing to see if mdac is installed if not
> > install it.  So I am a bit confused why the Access apps are being
> corrupted.
> > The error is "Libary missing" and when I go into debug mode on the
Access
> > app under references it says Microsoft DAO 3.5 is missing.  What is even
> > more weird is that the dll's are hidden in microsoftshared/dao.  So, I
> have
> > to go in a repoint the access app to the dll.  It seems to me that some
> how
> > my app running DAO 3.6 is overwriting the references in the Access
app's.
> > Is this possible? Any ideas?

> > Thanks



Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:39:13 GMT
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. DAO standalone app to ADO web-based app?

2. DAO app installation problem

3. Installing DAO app. problems

4. Problem with VB/DAO app on localized version of Windows

5. Security problem DAO 3.51 --> DAO 3.6

6. Dao 3.6 Problem Versus Dao 3.51

7. DAO app crashes under Windows ME / XP

8. HELP: VB DAO app reading from wrong database?

9. DAO app takes loooooong time to return

10. New to C++ - could use some help with DAO app

11. Using dbase MDX Files in VB Apps w/DAO

12. help converting vb app from dao to ado


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software