Moving from 8.1.7 32-bit to 8.1.7 64-bit 
Author Message
 Moving from 8.1.7 32-bit to 8.1.7 64-bit

So if I install the 64-bit software is there some conversion
needed on a 32-bit database that I need to perform or is it
as easy as simply re-setting ORACLE_HOME and starting
up the old database with the 64-bit software?

Thanks in advance for any help.



Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:45:55 GMT
 Moving from 8.1.7 32-bit to 8.1.7 64-bit

I am not sure, but my guess would be that you need to export the 32 bit.
Install the 54 bit, rebuild the db and import the data.
Jim

Quote:

> So if I install the 64-bit software is there some conversion
> needed on a 32-bit database that I need to perform or is it
> as easy as simply re-setting ORACLE_HOME and starting
> up the old database with the 64-bit software?

> Thanks in advance for any help.



Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:42:02 GMT
 Moving from 8.1.7 32-bit to 8.1.7 64-bit
Export/import ?? - but that's against the principles of the lazy DBA !!! :-)

Complete the following steps to change the word-size:
(I did it on AIX going from 817 32bit to 64bit)

 1. Start Server Manager by entering the following command:

    svrmgrl

 2. Run CONNECT INTERNAL:

    SVRMGR> CONNECT INTERNAL

 3. Run SHUTDOWN NORMAL on the first database:

    SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN NORMAL

 4. Perform a full offline backup of the database (Optional).

 5. If you currently have a 32-bit installation,
    install the 64-bit version.  Or, if you currently have a 64-bit
    installation, install the 32-bit version.

 6. At a system prompt, change to the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin
    directory.

 7. Start Server Manager by entering the following:

    svrmgrl

 8. Run CONNECT INTERNAL:

    SVRMGR> CONNECT INTERNAL

 9. Run STARTUP RESTRICT:

    SVRMGR> STARTUP RESTRICT

10. Set the system to spool results to a log file for later
    verification of success:

    SVRMGR> SPOOL CATOUTW.LOG

11. Run UTLIRP.SQL:


    The UTLIRP.SQL script recompiles existing PL/SQL modules in the
    format required by the new database.  This script first alters
    certain dictionary tables.  Then, it reloads package STANDARD
    and DBMS_STANDARD, which are necessary for using PL/SQL.
    Finally, it triggers a recompile of all PL/SQL modules, such as
    packages, procedures, types, etc.

12. Turn off the spooling of script results to the log file:

    SVRMGR> SPOOL OFF

    Then, check the spool file and verify that every package and
    procedure compiled successfully.  You named the spool file in
    Step 10; the suggested name was CATOUTW.LOG.  Correct any
    problems you find in this file.

13. Run ALTER SYSTEM DISABLE RESTRICTED SESSION:

    SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM DISABLE RESTRICTED SESSION

The word-size of your database is now changed.
You can open the database for normal use.


Quote:
> I am not sure, but my guess would be that you need to export the 32 bit.
> Install the 54 bit, rebuild the db and import the data.
> Jim


> > So if I install the 64-bit software is there some conversion
> > needed on a 32-bit database that I need to perform or is it
> > as easy as simply re-setting ORACLE_HOME and starting
> > up the old database with the 64-bit software?

> > Thanks in advance for any help.



Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:08:10 GMT
 Moving from 8.1.7 32-bit to 8.1.7 64-bit
Thanks for the information, it was very well detailed.  I was snooping around
in Metalink last night and saw several references to utlirp.sql with respect to
changing the word size - I didn't realize the "upgrade" was a simple as running
this script.

Thanks again.


Quote:
>Export/import ?? - but that's against the principles of the lazy DBA !!! :-)

>Complete the following steps to change the word-size:
>(I did it on AIX going from 817 32bit to 64bit)

> 1. Start Server Manager by entering the following command:

>    svrmgrl

> 2. Run CONNECT INTERNAL:

>    SVRMGR> CONNECT INTERNAL

> 3. Run SHUTDOWN NORMAL on the first database:

>    SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN NORMAL

> 4. Perform a full offline backup of the database (Optional).

> 5. If you currently have a 32-bit installation,
>    install the 64-bit version.  Or, if you currently have a 64-bit
>    installation, install the 32-bit version.

> 6. At a system prompt, change to the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin
>    directory.

> 7. Start Server Manager by entering the following:

>    svrmgrl

> 8. Run CONNECT INTERNAL:

>    SVRMGR> CONNECT INTERNAL

> 9. Run STARTUP RESTRICT:

>    SVRMGR> STARTUP RESTRICT

>10. Set the system to spool results to a log file for later
>    verification of success:

>    SVRMGR> SPOOL CATOUTW.LOG

>11. Run UTLIRP.SQL:


>    The UTLIRP.SQL script recompiles existing PL/SQL modules in the
>    format required by the new database.  This script first alters
>    certain dictionary tables.  Then, it reloads package STANDARD
>    and DBMS_STANDARD, which are necessary for using PL/SQL.
>    Finally, it triggers a recompile of all PL/SQL modules, such as
>    packages, procedures, types, etc.

>12. Turn off the spooling of script results to the log file:

>    SVRMGR> SPOOL OFF

>    Then, check the spool file and verify that every package and
>    procedure compiled successfully.  You named the spool file in
>    Step 10; the suggested name was CATOUTW.LOG.  Correct any
>    problems you find in this file.

>13. Run ALTER SYSTEM DISABLE RESTRICTED SESSION:

>    SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM DISABLE RESTRICTED SESSION

>The word-size of your database is now changed.
>You can open the database for normal use.



>> I am not sure, but my guess would be that you need to export the 32 bit.
>> Install the 54 bit, rebuild the db and import the data.
>> Jim


>> > So if I install the 64-bit software is there some conversion
>> > needed on a 32-bit database that I need to perform or is it
>> > as easy as simply re-setting ORACLE_HOME and starting
>> > up the old database with the 64-bit software?

>> > Thanks in advance for any help.

===
Richard Hansen



Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:55:21 GMT
 Moving from 8.1.7 32-bit to 8.1.7 64-bit
Just shutdown clean and startup
Quote:

> So if I install the 64-bit software is there some conversion
> needed on a 32-bit database that I need to perform or is it
> as easy as simply re-setting ORACLE_HOME and starting
> up the old database with the 64-bit software?

> Thanks in advance for any help.



Sun, 18 Jan 2004 02:37:11 GMT
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Help needed on moving data from 32-bit to 64-bit

2. 64-bit SQL Server and 32-bit dlls question

3. 32-bit Oracle Server on 64-bit Solaris?

4. Performance: 32-bit SE vs. 64-bit EE

5. Changes in 64 bit Oracle from 32 bit

6. 32-bit Clients to 64-bit Oracle Server

7. 8.0.5 32-bit on HP-UX 11.0 64-bit

8. 32-bit client to 64-bit server

9. 64 bit client accessing 32 bit server?

10. 64-bit or 32-bit word size?

11. Upper limit of total SGA for 32-bit Oracle8i Release 3 on 64-bit Solaris 8

12. Porting 32-bit to 64-bit on Sun Solaris


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software