FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer. 
Author Message
 FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

There are several FAQs about the Oracle database
scattered around the Internet, and many ways of
finding answers to the simpler questions about Oracle
very quickly.

The following list is a suggestion of where you might
find answers to questions that you feel should have an
easy answer.

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
http://www.***.com/

The archive for this news group
http://www.***.com/
    select the GROUPS tab
    then work through the list to
        comp -> databases -> oracle

A search engine for searching the Oracle manuals
for Oracle 8.1.7 and 9.0.1 exists at
http://www.***.com/

Oracle technology Network (free registration) which
includes documentation and sample code fragments
http://www.***.com/

Oracle Metalink (requires a support licence) contains
a number of forums, a searchable knowledge base,
and a searchable bug database.
http://www.***.com/

Thomas Kyte is an Oracle employee who writes the
popular Ask Tom column in the Oracle magazine,
and maintains a website holding many real-life
questions and answers at:
http://www.***.com/

Steve Adams is a highly respected member of the
Oracle community and his website, apart from the
wealth of information it contains, also has a
search engine which indexes a select sub-set of
the Oracle-related websites that are on the Internet.
http://www.***.com/

If you want to help the newsgroup help you then:

a)  Check the at least the first two resources above
    before posting your message. They may contain a
    discussion document that gives you more help than
    a direct answer to your specific question could.
    It is worth mentioning the resources you have
    checked as a lead-in to your question.

b) Quote the Oracle version number, and operating
    system that you are running on. Answers that are
    good for version 7 may be 2nd-rate for version 8 and
    completely stupid for version 9.

c) If something "doesn't work", that doesn't give
    anyone a clue about the problem. Always quote
    any error messages you get, and tell us a bit about
    the environment (e.g. SQL*Plus, VB, pl/sql called
    from Pro*C).

d) Feedback is important - if you find a good answer
    to the question you asked, post it to the newsgroup.
    (If it is an article on a website, email me below with
    the question, site, comment, and the URL and I can
    add it as a reference to the FAQ).

e) If someone has got you out of a hole, it's quite
    a nice touch to thank them (possibly be direct mail)
    And if they haven't managed to help, it's quite useful
    for everyone to explain what went wrong when you
    tried their solution.

f)  RTFM is always a valid answer - though we would
    hope that it would be phrased in a reasonably
    friendly way, and accompanied by a URL or
    other pointer to the appropriate bit of the manual.

g) If you have used one of the search methods above,
    and subsequently see a question asked on the same
    topic, please consider posting the address of the resource
    to the person asking the question.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.***.com/

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ
http://www.***.com/

Author of:
Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases

Now running 3-day intensive seminars
http://www.***.com/

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.***.com/
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.



Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:27:04 GMT
 FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

Hi Jonathan,

FAQ etiquette is a FAQ. Could you please either RTFM, search the google
archives or take a look at the excellent Jonathon Lewis site for details of
FAQ etiquette questions that are frequently asked ...

Just couldn't resist ;)

Yours jokingly

Richard

Quote:
> There are several FAQs about the Oracle database
> scattered around the Internet, and many ways of
> finding answers to the simpler questions about Oracle
> very quickly.

> The following list is a suggestion of where you might
> find answers to questions that you feel should have an
> easy answer.

> The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html

> The archive for this news group
> http://www.google.com
>     select the GROUPS tab
>     then work through the list to
>         comp -> databases -> oracle

> A search engine for searching the Oracle manuals
> for Oracle 8.1.7 and 9.0.1 exists at
> http://tahiti.oracle.com

> Oracle technology Network (free registration) which
> includes documentation and sample code fragments
> http://technet.oracle.com

> Oracle Metalink (requires a support licence) contains
> a number of forums, a searchable knowledge base,
> and a searchable bug database.
> http://www.oracle.com/support/metalink/index.html

> Thomas Kyte is an Oracle employee who writes the
> popular Ask Tom column in the Oracle magazine,
> and maintains a website holding many real-life
> questions and answers at:
> http://asktom.oracle.com

> Steve Adams is a highly respected member of the
> Oracle community and his website, apart from the
> wealth of information it contains, also has a
> search engine which indexes a select sub-set of
> the Oracle-related websites that are on the Internet.
> http://www.ixora.com.au

> If you want to help the newsgroup help you then:

> a)  Check the at least the first two resources above
>     before posting your message. They may contain a
>     discussion document that gives you more help than
>     a direct answer to your specific question could.
>     It is worth mentioning the resources you have
>     checked as a lead-in to your question.

> b) Quote the Oracle version number, and operating
>     system that you are running on. Answers that are
>     good for version 7 may be 2nd-rate for version 8 and
>     completely stupid for version 9.

> c) If something "doesn't work", that doesn't give
>     anyone a clue about the problem. Always quote
>     any error messages you get, and tell us a bit about
>     the environment (e.g. SQL*Plus, VB, pl/sql called
>     from Pro*C).

> d) Feedback is important - if you find a good answer
>     to the question you asked, post it to the newsgroup.
>     (If it is an article on a website, email me below with
>     the question, site, comment, and the URL and I can
>     add it as a reference to the FAQ).

> e) If someone has got you out of a hole, it's quite
>     a nice touch to thank them (possibly be direct mail)
>     And if they haven't managed to help, it's quite useful
>     for everyone to explain what went wrong when you
>     tried their solution.

> f)  RTFM is always a valid answer - though we would
>     hope that it would be phrased in a reasonably
>     friendly way, and accompanied by a URL or
>     other pointer to the appropriate bit of the manual.

> g) If you have used one of the search methods above,
>     and subsequently see a question asked on the same
>     topic, please consider posting the address of the resource
>     to the person asking the question.

> --
> Jonathan Lewis
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

> Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html

> Author of:
> Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases

> Now running 3-day intensive seminars
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html

> Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
> Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.



Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:49:08 GMT
 FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.
Recursion - see recursion.

:o)

Norman.

Quote:
-----Original Message-----

Posted At: Thursday, September 05, 2002 8:49 AM
Posted To: server
Conversation: FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.
Subject: Re: FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

Hi Jonathan,

FAQ etiquette is a FAQ. Could you please either RTFM, search the google
archives or take a look at the excellent Jonathon Lewis site for details
of
FAQ etiquette questions that are frequently asked ...

Just couldn't resist ;)



Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:34:06 GMT
 FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

Quote:

> Recursion - see recursion.

> :o)

> Norman.

> -----Original Message-----

> Posted At: Thursday, September 05, 2002 8:49 AM
> Posted To: server
> Conversation: FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.
> Subject: Re: FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

> Hi Jonathan,

> FAQ etiquette is a FAQ. Could you please either RTFM, search the google
> archives or take a look at the excellent Jonathon Lewis site for details
> of
> FAQ etiquette questions that are frequently asked ...

> Just couldn't resist ;)

Loop, see Endless.
Endless, see Loop

--
==============================
Connor McDonald

http://www.oracledba.co.uk

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue..."



Tue, 22 Feb 2005 05:47:12 GMT
 FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

Dictionary - You're holding one, moron.
Moron - You again ?!?!

Quote:


> > Recursion - see recursion.

> > :o)

> > Norman.

> > -----Original Message-----

> > Posted At: Thursday, September 05, 2002 8:49 AM
> > Posted To: server
> > Conversation: FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.
> > Subject: Re: FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

> > Hi Jonathan,

> > FAQ etiquette is a FAQ. Could you please either RTFM, search the google
> > archives or take a look at the excellent Jonathon Lewis site for details
> > of
> > FAQ etiquette questions that are frequently asked ...

> > Just couldn't resist ;)

> Loop, see Endless.
> Endless, see Loop

> --
> ==============================
> Connor McDonald

> http://www.oracledba.co.uk

> "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue..."

  martin.doherty.vcf
< 1K Download


Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:36:22 GMT
 FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

I think I first saw this as:

Circular reference:  see reference (circular)
Reference, circular:  see circular reference

Also there is the time-honoured method of
instruction by circular reference:

Prof Jones:  "Prof Smith will be proving the following
                    theorem in detail next term (semester)"

And the next term (semester)
Prof Smith:    "This theorem, which Prof Jones proved
                    last term (semester) ..."

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____England______September 24/26, November 12/14

____USA__________November 7/9 (MI), 19/21 (TX)

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html

Quote:


>> Recursion - see recursion.

>Loop, see Endless.
>Endless, see Loop



Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:11:08 GMT
 FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 08:11:08 +0100,  Jonathan Lewis said (and I quote):

Quote:
> Also there is the time-honoured method of
> instruction by circular reference:

> Prof Jones:  "Prof Smith will be proving the following
>                     theorem in detail next term (semester)"

> And the next term (semester)
> Prof Smith:    "This theorem, which Prof Jones proved
>                     last term (semester) ..."

Er.....
That one is a lot more widespread than just education organizations, I'm
afraid!
;)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto



Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:04:56 GMT
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

2. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

3. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

4. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

5. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

6. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

7. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

8. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

9. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

10. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

11. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

12. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software