Renme Tablespace in 8i 
Author Message
 Renme Tablespace in 8i
We have a vendor database that "prefers" that certain objects be in
certain tablespaces.  The manual was not RTF'd and now we have the
objects in the wrong TS.  Is it possible to rename a tablespace in 8i,
or do we have to do it the hard way?


Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:41:13 GMT
 Renme Tablespace in 8i


Quote:
> We have a vendor database that "prefers" that certain objects be in
> certain tablespaces.  The manual was not RTF'd and now we have the
> objects in the wrong TS.  Is it possible to rename a tablespace in 8i,
> or do we have to do it the hard way?

The hard way?!:
alter table <table_name> move <new_tablespace>
provided the compatible parameter is at least 8.1.0 and not 8.0.5
(which is the default for 8i)

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA



Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:16:38 GMT
 Renme Tablespace in 8i
Thanks, Mr. Sybrand.  I misspoke, I meant to say that we are migrating
to 8i from 7.3, so this is really a 7.3 question.  We are told that
the only way is to recreate the objects in the other tablespace.  Is
that true?


Quote:



> > We have a vendor database that "prefers" that certain objects be
in
> > certain tablespaces.  The manual was not RTF'd and now we have the
> > objects in the wrong TS.  Is it possible to rename a tablespace in
8i,
> > or do we have to do it the hard way?

> The hard way?!:
> alter table <table_name> move <new_tablespace>
> provided the compatible parameter is at least 8.1.0 and not 8.0.5
> (which is the default for 8i)

> Regards,

> Sybrand Bakker Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA



Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:35:04 GMT
 Renme Tablespace in 8i
oeps - 7.3 .... then it'll be the hard way - but if you're migrating to 8i
you might as well do an export/import and
put everything in place ....
oh BTW - an alter table move doesn't work with tables containing long and
raw columns - also recreate/rebuild your indexes
after a move.
If you some money to throw with you can also check out Quest Spacemanager or
Quest Live Reorg. The first one
costs about 15000$ to 20000$ (for a typical 4way unix box) - the Live Reorg
will cost you a heck of a lot more ...
Maybe you should consider migrating to Oracle 9i - it also let you 'live
reorg' your tables....

cheers


Quote:
> Thanks, Mr. Sybrand.  I misspoke, I meant to say that we are migrating
> to 8i from 7.3, so this is really a 7.3 question.  We are told that
> the only way is to recreate the objects in the other tablespace.  Is
> that true?





> > > We have a vendor database that "prefers" that certain objects be
> in
> > > certain tablespaces.  The manual was not RTF'd and now we have the
> > > objects in the wrong TS.  Is it possible to rename a tablespace in
> 8i,
> > > or do we have to do it the hard way?

> > The hard way?!:
> > alter table <table_name> move <new_tablespace>
> > provided the compatible parameter is at least 8.1.0 and not 8.0.5
> > (which is the default for 8i)

> > Regards,

> > Sybrand Bakker Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA



Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:39:50 GMT
 Renme Tablespace in 8i


Quote:
> We have a vendor database that "prefers" that certain objects be in
> certain tablespaces.  The manual was not RTF'd and now we have the
> objects in the wrong TS.  Is it possible to rename a tablespace in 8i,
> or do we have to do it the hard way?

Linda,

You can rename datafiles in tablespace but not the tablespace names.

You can export/import the objects from the old tablespace to the new
tablespace.

Hope that helps.

Trifon Anguelov
Senior Oracle DBA

http://www.dbaclick.com



Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:16:57 GMT
 Renme Tablespace in 8i
She has 8i, so there is no need for export and import.  A simple 'alter
table X move tablespace Y' will do the deed.

Regards
HJR
--
Resources for OracleT: www.geocities.com/howardjr2000
=========================================


Quote:



> > We have a vendor database that "prefers" that certain objects be in
> > certain tablespaces.  The manual was not RTF'd and now we have the
> > objects in the wrong TS.  Is it possible to rename a tablespace in 8i,
> > or do we have to do it the hard way?

> Linda,

> You can rename datafiles in tablespace but not the tablespace names.

> You can export/import the objects from the old tablespace to the new
> tablespace.

> Hope that helps.

> Trifon Anguelov
> Senior Oracle DBA

> http://www.dbaclick.com



Fri, 02 Apr 2004 04:17:56 GMT
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. 8i Tablespace removal if someone has deleted the .dbf instead of dropping the tablespace

2. locally-managed tablespaces vs dictionary-managed tablespaces in 8i

3. Attempt to extend SYSTEM tablespace in Oracle 8i

4. Oracle 8i - defrag SYSTEM tablespace how?

5. Maximum size of tablespace for 8i

6. Transportable tablespaces in 8i

7. Transport tablespace in Oracle 8i

8. create new tablespace (redhat linux 6.2 + oracle 8i)

9. Copy from tablespace to tablespace

10. Dropping tablespace (zero-block tablespace)

11. moving tables from the system tablespace to a new tablespace

12. Moving Tables from Tablespace A to Tablespace B


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software