Running multiple instances 
Author Message
 Running multiple instances
Oracle 8.05 on NT 4.0

I have installed the started database from Oracle 8.05. I am able to connect
from a client.  I have also installed another database instance called PROD.

I am able to start ONLY one instance at a time and connect to it.
BUT,  I want both instances 'ORCL' and 'PROD' running on the same
machine at the same time.

Any suggestion ?

thanks



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Running multiple instances


Quote:
>Oracle 8.05 on NT 4.0

>I have installed the started database from Oracle 8.05. I am able to
connect
>from a client.  I have also installed another database instance called
PROD.

>I am able to start ONLY one instance at a time and connect to it.
>BUT,  I want both instances 'ORCL' and 'PROD' running on the same
>machine at the same time.

>Any suggestion ?

You need more physical memory or to reduce the size of your SGA's - how big
are they ??

Alex



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Running multiple instances
I have over 200MB of RAM. The SGA is pretty small.  When one instance is
running, I try to start the second the instance, the error is that oracle is
already running. It tell me to shutdown before I can start another instance.
Quote:



>>Oracle 8.05 on NT 4.0

>>I have installed the started database from Oracle 8.05. I am able to
>connect
>>from a client.  I have also installed another database instance called
>PROD.

>>I am able to start ONLY one instance at a time and connect to it.
>>BUT,  I want both instances 'ORCL' and 'PROD' running on the same
>>machine at the same time.

>>Any suggestion ?

>You need more physical memory or to reduce the size of your SGA's - how big
>are they ??

>Alex



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Running multiple instances
The 'oracle is already running' message generally applies to the fact that
your ORACLE_SID is not set correctly and you are trying to start the
instance that is running. How are you starting the instances ?

Alex

Quote:

>I have over 200MB of RAM. The SGA is pretty small.  When one instance is
>running, I try to start the second the instance, the error is that oracle
is
>already running. It tell me to shutdown before I can start another
instance.




>>>Oracle 8.05 on NT 4.0

>>>I have installed the started database from Oracle 8.05. I am able to
>>connect
>>>from a client.  I have also installed another database instance called
>>PROD.

>>>I am able to start ONLY one instance at a time and connect to it.
>>>BUT,  I want both instances 'ORCL' and 'PROD' running on the same
>>>machine at the same time.

>>>Any suggestion ?

>>You need more physical memory or to reduce the size of your SGA's - how
big
>>are they ??

>>Alex



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Running multiple instances
in NT you have to do
SET ORACLE_SID=<new instance name>
svrmgrl
startup
select * from v$parameter where name='db_name';
and you'll see your new instance running
to get back to your old instance
you have to do
SET ORACLE_SID=<old instance name>
svrmgrl
select * from v$parameter where name='db_name';
and you'll see your old instance

Quote:

>Oracle 8.05 on NT 4.0

>I have installed the started database from Oracle 8.05. I am able to connect
>from a client.  I have also installed another database instance called PROD.

>I am able to start ONLY one instance at a time and connect to it.
>BUT,  I want both instances 'ORCL' and 'PROD' running on the same
>machine at the same time.

>Any suggestion ?

>thanks


---------------
Andrey Dmitriev  eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 373-5417
AOL: NetComrade  ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email


Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Running multiple instances
You can start both the instances from DOS command line. Before starting the
instances set ORACLE_SID to your SID of the instance ie. orcl or prod. Then in
server manager (svrmgr30) use stratup nomount pfile= ..path.. of the
init_sid.ora parameter file. Then run alter database mount, alter database open.
run select * from v$instance to check your instance name. Exit to DOS. Start the
second one. Set your tnsnames.ora and listner.ora file parameters accordingly.

Good luck.

joe

Quote:

> Oracle 8.05 on NT 4.0

> I have installed the started database from Oracle 8.05. I am able to connect
> from a client.  I have also installed another database instance called PROD.

> I am able to start ONLY one instance at a time and connect to it.
> BUT,  I want both instances 'ORCL' and 'PROD' running on the same
> machine at the same time.

> Any suggestion ?

> thanks




Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Running multiple instances
I was having the same trouble and after entering
the 2nd instance into the oratab file and flagging
it to Y so that the dbstart file automatically
starts the instance at startup I was able to get
two to run simultaneously.  the best way to choose
which database you want is to update the your
startup script(unix: .profile) to ask what
database you want to use.  this is pretty clear in
the installation doc's, under what to do as root.
i ran into a problem with the syntax of using awk
in the example they provided but someone was able
to show me the light.

In article


Quote:
> I have over 200MB of RAM. The SGA is pretty

small.  When one instance is
Quote:
> running, I try to start the second the instance,

the error is that oracle is
Quote:
> already running. It tell me to shutdown before I

can start another instance.
Quote:




Quote:



> >>Oracle 8.05 on NT 4.0

> >>I have installed the started database from

Oracle 8.05. I am able to
Quote:
> >connect
> >>from a client.  I have also installed another

database instance called
Quote:
> >PROD.

> >>I am able to start ONLY one instance at a time
and connect to it.
> >>BUT,  I want both instances 'ORCL' and 'PROD'
running on the same
> >>machine at the same time.

> >>Any suggestion ?

> >You need more physical memory or to reduce the

size of your SGA's - how big

Quote:
> >are they ??

> >Alex

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.


Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Running Multiple Instances of VB App: Error 3053

2. Can NT run multiple instances of Oracle7?

3. Running Multiple Instances of Sybase 10 or 11 on the same box

4. Running Multiple Instances of Sybase 10 or 11 on the same box

5. Can I run multiple instances of FileMaker on 1 PC

6. can IDS 9.3 run multiple instances on NT4 w/out shared memory problems?

7. does any one run multiple instances on same NT box and has admin problem with local groups.

8. Advice needed: Multiple instances vs Multiple users in 1 instance

9. Running DTSRUN for multiple instances of SQL2000 on same machine

10. running a query against multiple sqlserver instances

11. Running Multiple Form instance ..


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software