Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming! 
Author Message
 Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

Intel corp to ship 2400 MHZ Pentiums in Q1'99!! These new chips will be
10 to 20
times faster than 200 MHZ pentiums and will be much cheaper in price
compared
to today's chips! 2400 MHZ chips will have very large cache memory right
inside the chip!! Cache memory itself will be 300 MB! Chips are
SPEEEEDING
up daily! Watch out guys high speed boxes are coming soon!!

Now a BAD news
--------------
I was reading the latest InfoWorld magazine...
Did you get this news - Java is completely fragmented! Now there is
HP Java, Microsoft Java, Sun Java, IBM Java,.... and so on.
There is complete commotion and chaos. Customers must better wait untill
the dust settles down. But when the dust is cleared Java may/may not be
there!! Nobody knows who will win - Microsoft, Sun Micro, HP or IBM ??
Or Java may die! It is very sad that these big guys are killing a
good language like JAVA.

You ask: "Ok..OK what is the best programming language and OS for me?"

Answer:-
Best Programming Language yesterday, today and tommorrow and in future!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best language to use for programming is - "PERL" Write once and run
everywhere!
Perl Language which is very powerful and has all the capabilities of
C++,
bourne shell scripting, awk, sed. Very productive as it does not require
compiling and linking!! Perl is on all platforms and OSes. Details at -
http://www.***.com/

Also, Perl has GUI at ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/i386 and look
for PerlQt-1.06-1.i386.rpm and Xforms4Perl-0.8.4-1.i386.rpm
and http://www.***.com/ ~jql/perlqt.html
Also Perl can interface with Tcl/Tk GUI runs on Unixes and Windows95/NT.
With Perl, Qt, Tk you write Perl program ONLY ONCE and run the
Perl-GUI programs on Unixes and Windows95/NT! Surprise!!
Perl was there since 1980's!!!!!!! Statistics show Perl is used for 85%
of
all the internet scripts (Java is 5%). Check out millions of books on
Perl,
CGI in the bookstore.

Since CPUs are becoming faster/cheaper everyday (now you have 700MHz
pentiums!)
it is more productive to write everything in Perl.
Ofcourse, you can still write "bottleneck' modules in "C++" and use it
inside
Perl program!! Most projects are generally 95% perl + 5% "C++".
Many databases have perl interfaces - like OraclePerl, SybasePerl,
InformixPerl,
PostgreSQLPerl....
Perl is used by every FORTUNE 500 companies in USA! Ranging from IBM,
Sun Micro,
LSI, AMD, Oracle corp, Sybase corp ....

Next best is C++ most popular and powerful languages, downside requires
compiling and
linking. Very time consuming, debugging memory problems will be a hell
of a time.
(Perl does not have these problems)
You have C++ GUI builder for unix & MSWin "QtEZ" (write once and run
everywhere!)
http://www.***.com/
like
Borland C++Builder.
Do you know I used spend several hours/days debugging memory problems in
a large
C++ programs. Memory problems are extremely hard to debug inspite of
many tools
like Purify, Electric Fence, etc... I am telling you forget C++ and C
and go to
PERL! Write only 5% of total code in C++ and balance in PERL.
You will DIE a DOG's death writing the entire project in C++!!

Best Operating System
---------------------
The best Operating System today is "Linux".

My strong advice to customers/professionals is to go for PERL language
and
Linux. Also ask the experts and scientists on internet. Internet has
the best brains in the world!!
I am saying "INTERNET is the World's LARGEST software company"! Is this
wrong
to say so?? Hello Microsoft/Bill Gates please tell me the truth!

Hello: Are there any experts out there... your advice on PERL please!!!



Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

gold>
gold> Intel corp to ship 2400 MHZ Pentiums in Q1'99!! These
gold> new chips will be 10 to 20 times faster than 200 MHZ
gold> pentiums and will be much cheaper in price compared to
gold> today's chips! 2400 MHZ chips will have very large
gold> cache memory right inside the chip!! Cache memory
gold> itself will be 300 MB! Chips are SPEEEEDING up daily!
gold> Watch out guys high speed boxes are coming soon!!
gold>
gold> Now a BAD news
gold> --------------

... that PC's have bus speeds less than 66Mhz.  

Ok class, where's the bottleneck?
--
Pablo Sanchez              | Ph # (650) 933.3812          Fax # (650) 933.2821

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am accountable for my actions.   http://reality.sgi.com/pablo



Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

This is just my opinion, but there's only two kinds of Java:  Microsoft's
and everyone else's.  In my opinion, Microsoft will lose this battle, and
the Java spec owned by Sun (and endorsed by the rest of the computing
vendors) will become the de facto standard.  The biggest differences at this
point are the JVM's for each platform, not the language itself (with the
exception of Microsoft).  The JVM's are 2-3 times better now than they were
a year ago, and you should expect this trend to continue.  All this is
merely my opinion, though.  Java is too technically correct not to succeed
at the level that C++ has (not as a "trendy" language like Powerbuilder,
Visual Basic, SQLWindows, etc.)

Regards!
Dave

Quote:

>Intel corp to ship 2400 MHZ Pentiums in Q1'99!! These new chips will be
>10 to 20
>times faster than 200 MHZ pentiums and will be much cheaper in price
>compared
>to today's chips! 2400 MHZ chips will have very large cache memory right
>inside the chip!! Cache memory itself will be 300 MB! Chips are
>SPEEEEDING
>up daily! Watch out guys high speed boxes are coming soon!!

>Now a BAD news
>--------------
>I was reading the latest InfoWorld magazine...
>Did you get this news - Java is completely fragmented! Now there is
>HP Java, Microsoft Java, Sun Java, IBM Java,.... and so on.
>There is complete commotion and chaos. Customers must better wait untill
>the dust settles down. But when the dust is cleared Java may/may not be
>there!! Nobody knows who will win - Microsoft, Sun Micro, HP or IBM ??
>Or Java may die! It is very sad that these big guys are killing a
>good language like JAVA.

>You ask: "Ok..OK what is the best programming language and OS for me?"

>Answer:-
>Best Programming Language yesterday, today and tommorrow and in future!!
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>The best language to use for programming is - "PERL" Write once and run
>everywhere!
>Perl Language which is very powerful and has all the capabilities of
>C++,
>bourne shell scripting, awk, sed. Very productive as it does not require
>compiling and linking!! Perl is on all platforms and OSes. Details at -
>http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Programming_Languages/Perl/

>Also, Perl has GUI at ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/i386 and look
>for PerlQt-1.06-1.i386.rpm and Xforms4Perl-0.8.4-1.i386.rpm
>and http://www.accessone.com/~jql/perlqt.html
>Also Perl can interface with Tcl/Tk GUI runs on Unixes and Windows95/NT.
>With Perl, Qt, Tk you write Perl program ONLY ONCE and run the
>Perl-GUI programs on Unixes and Windows95/NT! Surprise!!
>Perl was there since 1980's!!!!!!! Statistics show Perl is used for 85%
>of
>all the internet scripts (Java is 5%). Check out millions of books on
>Perl,
>CGI in the bookstore.

>Since CPUs are becoming faster/cheaper everyday (now you have 700MHz
>pentiums!)
>it is more productive to write everything in Perl.
>Ofcourse, you can still write "bottleneck' modules in "C++" and use it
>inside
>Perl program!! Most projects are generally 95% perl + 5% "C++".
>Many databases have perl interfaces - like OraclePerl, SybasePerl,
>InformixPerl,
>PostgreSQLPerl....
>Perl is used by every FORTUNE 500 companies in USA! Ranging from IBM,
>Sun Micro,
>LSI, AMD, Oracle corp, Sybase corp ....

>Next best is C++ most popular and powerful languages, downside requires
>compiling and
>linking. Very time consuming, debugging memory problems will be a hell
>of a time.
>(Perl does not have these problems)
>You have C++ GUI builder for unix & MSWin "QtEZ" (write once and run
>everywhere!)
>http://qtez.commkey.net/index.htm/ . The aim of QtEZ is to become a tool
>like
>Borland C++Builder.
>Do you know I used spend several hours/days debugging memory problems in
>a large
>C++ programs. Memory problems are extremely hard to debug inspite of
>many tools
>like Purify, Electric Fence, etc... I am telling you forget C++ and C
>and go to
>PERL! Write only 5% of total code in C++ and balance in PERL.
>You will DIE a DOG's death writing the entire project in C++!!

>Best Operating System
>---------------------
>The best Operating System today is "Linux".

>My strong advice to customers/professionals is to go for PERL language
>and
>Linux. Also ask the experts and scientists on internet. Internet has
>the best brains in the world!!
>I am saying "INTERNET is the World's LARGEST software company"! Is this
>wrong
>to say so?? Hello Microsoft/Bill Gates please tell me the truth!

>Hello: Are there any experts out there... your advice on PERL please!!!



Wed, 20 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

What's so great about Java? The fact that C++ is too complicated for average
programmer to use efficiently? The fact that C++ gives you too much freedom
so that idiots can write buggy code?
Now that we have templates,exceptions,STL what else do you want? We even
have multiple inheritance (which has its problems but can be very useful).
ADA also has parallel programming support and garbage collection but it
didn't seem to succeed too much.
How can you handle real-time issues with interpreted language or when
garbage collection is on?

Boris



Wed, 20 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

C++ is for theoretical analysis?!?  It requires extremely talented people to
write the first line if code and is a nightmare to maintain a year later.
Write your business systems in Cobol or some other language designed for
formal programming tasks.  They are designed for such things.  Perl is not
production quality (or at least I am not going to print your bill with a
perl program - you are welcome to).
Also, who cares if Intel ships 9 Million MHZ chip.  It will still run
Microsoft products slowly.  Move to RISC (HP,SUN,IBM) and your chip will
only have to run a 2 MHZ to blow the Intel chip away.

James Saville

Quote:

>Intel corp to ship 2400 MHZ Pentiums in Q1'99!! These new chips will be
>10 to 20
>times faster than 200 MHZ pentiums and will be much cheaper in price
>compared
>to today's chips! 2400 MHZ chips will have very large cache memory right
>inside the chip!! Cache memory itself will be 300 MB! Chips are
>SPEEEEDING
>up daily! Watch out guys high speed boxes are coming soon!!

>Now a BAD news
>--------------
>I was reading the latest InfoWorld magazine...
>Did you get this news - Java is completely fragmented! Now there is
>HP Java, Microsoft Java, Sun Java, IBM Java,.... and so on.
>There is complete commotion and chaos. Customers must better wait untill
>the dust settles down. But when the dust is cleared Java may/may not be
>there!! Nobody knows who will win - Microsoft, Sun Micro, HP or IBM ??
>Or Java may die! It is very sad that these big guys are killing a
>good language like JAVA.

>You ask: "Ok..OK what is the best programming language and OS for me?"

>Answer:-
>Best Programming Language yesterday, today and tommorrow and in future!!
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>The best language to use for programming is - "PERL" Write once and run
>everywhere!
>Perl Language which is very powerful and has all the capabilities of
>C++,
>bourne shell scripting, awk, sed. Very productive as it does not require
>compiling and linking!! Perl is on all platforms and OSes. Details at -
>http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Programming_Languages/Perl/

>Also, Perl has GUI at ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/i386 and look
>for PerlQt-1.06-1.i386.rpm and Xforms4Perl-0.8.4-1.i386.rpm
>and http://www.accessone.com/~jql/perlqt.html
>Also Perl can interface with Tcl/Tk GUI runs on Unixes and Windows95/NT.
>With Perl, Qt, Tk you write Perl program ONLY ONCE and run the
>Perl-GUI programs on Unixes and Windows95/NT! Surprise!!
>Perl was there since 1980's!!!!!!! Statistics show Perl is used for 85%
>of
>all the internet scripts (Java is 5%). Check out millions of books on
>Perl,
>CGI in the bookstore.

>Since CPUs are becoming faster/cheaper everyday (now you have 700MHz
>pentiums!)
>it is more productive to write everything in Perl.
>Ofcourse, you can still write "bottleneck' modules in "C++" and use it
>inside
>Perl program!! Most projects are generally 95% perl + 5% "C++".
>Many databases have perl interfaces - like OraclePerl, SybasePerl,
>InformixPerl,
>PostgreSQLPerl....
>Perl is used by every FORTUNE 500 companies in USA! Ranging from IBM,
>Sun Micro,
>LSI, AMD, Oracle corp, Sybase corp ....

>Next best is C++ most popular and powerful languages, downside requires
>compiling and
>linking. Very time consuming, debugging memory problems will be a hell
>of a time.
>(Perl does not have these problems)
>You have C++ GUI builder for unix & MSWin "QtEZ" (write once and run
>everywhere!)
>http://qtez.commkey.net/index.htm/ . The aim of QtEZ is to become a tool
>like
>Borland C++Builder.
>Do you know I used spend several hours/days debugging memory problems in
>a large
>C++ programs. Memory problems are extremely hard to debug inspite of
>many tools
>like Purify, Electric Fence, etc... I am telling you forget C++ and C
>and go to
>PERL! Write only 5% of total code in C++ and balance in PERL.
>You will DIE a DOG's death writing the entire project in C++!!

>Best Operating System
>---------------------
>The best Operating System today is "Linux".

>My strong advice to customers/professionals is to go for PERL language
>and
>Linux. Also ask the experts and scientists on internet. Internet has
>the best brains in the world!!
>I am saying "INTERNET is the World's LARGEST software company"! Is this
>wrong
>to say so?? Hello Microsoft/Bill Gates please tell me the truth!

>Hello: Are there any experts out there... your advice on PERL please!!!



Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:00:00 GMT
 Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

<snip>

Quote:

> You ask: "Ok..OK what is the best programming language and OS for me?"

> Answer:-
> Best Programming Language yesterday, today and tommorrow and in future!!
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> The best language to use for programming is - "PERL" Write once and run
> everywhere!
<snip>
> You will DIE a DOG's death writing the entire project in C++!!

It all depends what you want to use it for, doesn't it? Perl is a
wonderful ragbag which includes everything (kitchen sink too).

Personally, I prefer something compact, with an elegant design
philosophy behind it, that can be extended gracefully, is readable and
can be analyzed by tools. That includes Java but is arguable for C++.
What about Smalltalk, Self, Eifel, Prolog, Lisp, Occam, M, Object
Pascal, Oberon, etc?

While I might write a Web site in Perl, I'd prefer avionics and banking
to be in something a little more trustworthy.
--
Peter Lancashire
Information Systems Specialist, Bayer plc
Eastern Way, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP32 7AH, UK
Tel: +44-1635-562258,  Fax: +44-1635-562281

---
My Internet plumbing does not allow me to mail and post news together.
Sorry.
All opinions are my own and not those of Bayer plc.
---
Join Infuse, the UK Informix User Group at http://www.infuse.co.uk/



Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!


Quote:

>This is just my opinion, but there's only two kinds of Java:  Microsoft's
>and everyone else's.  In my opinion, Microsoft will lose this battle, and
>the Java spec owned by Sun (and endorsed by the rest of the computing
>vendors) will become the de facto standard.  The biggest differences at this
>point are the JVM's for each platform, not the language itself (with the
>exception of Microsoft).  The JVM's are 2-3 times better now than they were
>a year ago, and you should expect this trend to continue.  All this is
>merely my opinion, though.  Java is too technically correct not to succeed
>at the level that C++ has (not as a "trendy" language like Powerbuilder,
>Visual Basic, SQLWindows, etc.)

Many things have been technically correct, and haven't succeeded, so no one
ever hears about them.  Technical superiority may be a hindrance.  Never
underestimate the power of the dark side, Luke.

I (unfortunately, because I think the guy's manner is making linux et al look
bad) have to agree with gold_bag that there are much better ways to program
than writing entire applications in C++.

Quote:

>Regards!
>Dave


>>Intel corp to ship 2400 MHZ Pentiums in Q1'99!! These new chips will be
>>10 to 20
>>times faster than 200 MHZ pentiums and will be much cheaper in price
>>compared
>>to today's chips! 2400 MHZ chips will have very large cache memory right
>>inside the chip!! Cache memory itself will be 300 MB! Chips are
>>SPEEEEDING
>>up daily! Watch out guys high speed boxes are coming soon!!

>>Now a BAD news
>>--------------
>>I was reading the latest InfoWorld magazine...
>>Did you get this news - Java is completely fragmented! Now there is
>>HP Java, Microsoft Java, Sun Java, IBM Java,.... and so on.
>>There is complete commotion and chaos. Customers must better wait untill
>>the dust settles down. But when the dust is cleared Java may/may not be
>>there!! Nobody knows who will win - Microsoft, Sun Micro, HP or IBM ??
>>Or Java may die! It is very sad that these big guys are killing a
>>good language like JAVA.

>>You ask: "Ok..OK what is the best programming language and OS for me?"

>>Answer:-
>>Best Programming Language yesterday, today and tommorrow and in future!!
>>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>The best language to use for programming is - "PERL" Write once and run
>>everywhere!
>>Perl Language which is very powerful and has all the capabilities of
>>C++,
>>bourne shell scripting, awk, sed. Very productive as it does not require
>>compiling and linking!! Perl is on all platforms and OSes. Details at -
>>http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Programming_Languages/Perl/

>>Also, Perl has GUI at ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/i386 and look
>>for PerlQt-1.06-1.i386.rpm and Xforms4Perl-0.8.4-1.i386.rpm
>>and http://www.accessone.com/~jql/perlqt.html
>>Also Perl can interface with Tcl/Tk GUI runs on Unixes and Windows95/NT.
>>With Perl, Qt, Tk you write Perl program ONLY ONCE and run the
>>Perl-GUI programs on Unixes and Windows95/NT! Surprise!!
>>Perl was there since 1980's!!!!!!! Statistics show Perl is used for 85%
>>of
>>all the internet scripts (Java is 5%). Check out millions of books on
>>Perl,
>>CGI in the bookstore.

>>Since CPUs are becoming faster/cheaper everyday (now you have 700MHz
>>pentiums!)
>>it is more productive to write everything in Perl.
>>Ofcourse, you can still write "bottleneck' modules in "C++" and use it
>>inside
>>Perl program!! Most projects are generally 95% perl + 5% "C++".
>>Many databases have perl interfaces - like OraclePerl, SybasePerl,
>>InformixPerl,
>>PostgreSQLPerl....
>>Perl is used by every FORTUNE 500 companies in USA! Ranging from IBM,
>>Sun Micro,
>>LSI, AMD, Oracle corp, Sybase corp ....

>>Next best is C++ most popular and powerful languages, downside requires
>>compiling and
>>linking. Very time consuming, debugging memory problems will be a hell
>>of a time.
>>(Perl does not have these problems)
>>You have C++ GUI builder for unix & MSWin "QtEZ" (write once and run
>>everywhere!)
>>http://qtez.commkey.net/index.htm/ . The aim of QtEZ is to become a tool
>>like
>>Borland C++Builder.
>>Do you know I used spend several hours/days debugging memory problems in
>>a large
>>C++ programs. Memory problems are extremely hard to debug inspite of
>>many tools
>>like Purify, Electric Fence, etc... I am telling you forget C++ and C
>>and go to
>>PERL! Write only 5% of total code in C++ and balance in PERL.
>>You will DIE a DOG's death writing the entire project in C++!!

>>Best Operating System
>>---------------------
>>The best Operating System today is "Linux".

>>My strong advice to customers/professionals is to go for PERL language
>>and
>>Linux. Also ask the experts and scientists on internet. Internet has
>>the best brains in the world!!
>>I am saying "INTERNET is the World's LARGEST software company"! Is this
>>wrong
>>to say so?? Hello Microsoft/Bill Gates please tell me the truth!

>>Hello: Are there any experts out there... your advice on PERL please!!!

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry



Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!




:>This is just my opinion, but there's only two kinds of Java:  Microsoft's
:>and everyone else's.  In my opinion, Microsoft will lose this battle, and
:>the Java spec owned by Sun (and endorsed by the rest of the computing
:>vendors) will become the de facto standard.  The biggest differences at this
:>point are the JVM's for each platform, not the language itself (with the
:>exception of Microsoft).  The JVM's are 2-3 times better now than they were
:>a year ago, and you should expect this trend to continue.  All this is
:>merely my opinion, though.  Java is too technically correct not to succeed
:>at the level that C++ has (not as a "trendy" language like Powerbuilder,
:>Visual Basic, SQLWindows, etc.)

: Many things have been technically correct, and haven't succeeded, so no one
: ever hears about them.  Technical superiority may be a hindrance.  Never
: underestimate the power of the dark side, Luke.

: I (unfortunately, because I think the guy's manner is making linux et al look
: bad) have to agree with gold_bag that there are much better ways to program
: than writing entire applications in C++.

Check out April's issue of Object magazine "Object Front" column,
interview with Bjarne Stroustrup about Java and C++.  Some interesting
comments from someone who knows a bit about writing in an OO language.



Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

Quote:

> <snip>
> Personally, I prefer something compact, with an elegant design
> philosophy behind it, that can be extended gracefully, is readable and
> can be analyzed by tools. That includes Java but is arguable for C++.
> What about Smalltalk, Self, Eifel, Prolog, Lisp, Occam, M, Object
> Pascal, Oberon, etc?

> While I might write a Web site in Perl, I'd prefer avionics and banking
> to be in something a little more trustworthy.
> --

Well, Peter, which do you want? I wouldn't call C++ compact or Java
trustworthy. How many times has the JVM in your browser crashed lately?

OTOH, I have plenty of production stuff in PERL and have had zero, yes
zero instances in recent memory where a Perl program "crashed".



Tue, 26 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

Java is only a promise. I tried Jbuilder. The versions and platform
differences (different bugs!) are to chaotic.
What we use is SQL 6.5 and Delphi C/S. Rock steady. Simple syntax compared
with Java and C++.
Visual 2 way tool. Object oriented. Every task done with this combo takes
far less time and effort than doiing the same in Java or C++. I have seen
several projects that started using a Object C++ generator and a C++
compiler and take to much time. C++ is great for commercial programming
having a large budget.
But for me as a small company TIME is everything. I can give a programm
build in Delphi to a relative novice in programming and he/she will pick up
the style in a much shorter time than the same project done in C++ or Java!
Pragmatic Programming is always a consideration to me. I am not interrested
in puristic debates on Object orientedness an technical correctness of a
language. PRAGMATIC, FAST, CHEAP, VERSATILE is what i am looking for.

Fons Claessen



Quote:

> > <snip>

> > Personally, I prefer something compact, with an elegant design
> > philosophy behind it, that can be extended gracefully, is readable and
> > can be analyzed by tools. That includes Java but is arguable for C++.
> > What about Smalltalk, Self, Eifel, Prolog, Lisp, Occam, M, Object
> > Pascal, Oberon, etc?

> > While I might write a Web site in Perl, I'd prefer avionics and banking
> > to be in something a little more trustworthy.
> > --

> Well, Peter, which do you want? I wouldn't call C++ compact or Java
> trustworthy. How many times has the JVM in your browser crashed lately?

> OTOH, I have plenty of production stuff in PERL and have had zero, yes
> zero instances in recent memory where a Perl program "crashed".



Wed, 27 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!


Quote:
>Java is only a promise. I tried Jbuilder. The versions and platform
>differences (different bugs!) are to chaotic.

I somewhat agree.  I love JBuilder but Java is less cross-platform that it
claims to be -- partially (as you say) because of the bugs in the various IDEs.

Quote:
>What we use is SQL 6.5 and Delphi C/S. Rock steady. Simple syntax compared
>with Java and C++.

Yes.  Delphi is a great RAD tool -- much better than VB IMO, though VB supports
all the latest microsoft stuff.  I'm starting to evaluate C++Builder as I am
really more of a C++/Java person and have never *really* liked Object Pascal,
though it is still far preferable to Basic -- plus C++ allows you to do all
sorts of neat low-level stuff, as well as directly access the Win32 API.

Quote:
>But for me as a small company TIME is everything. I can give a programm
>build in Delphi to a relative novice in programming and he/she will pick up
>the style in a much shorter time than the same project done in C++ or Java!

Definately.  And the program will be much more likely to be bug-free, as there
are fewer memory leak/overrun issues with Pascal.

Quote:
>Pragmatic Programming is always a consideration to me. I am not interrested
>in puristic debates on Object orientedness an technical correctness of a
>language. PRAGMATIC, FAST, CHEAP, VERSATILE is what i am looking for.

Yes.  Personally, I'm a bit of an idealist, and would much rather be working in
an elegant and efficient language like Java, but then I have a bit more skill
than the average "novice" programmer.  As a manager or team leader I would
probably throw Delphi at a group of programmers of questionable skill and
C++/Java for more advanced programmers.  Ideally Java, but I still don't believe
that it's ready for prime-time (unfortunately).

-Sean



Fri, 29 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

Quote:


> > <snip>

> > Personally, I prefer something compact, with an elegant design
> > philosophy behind it, that can be extended gracefully, is readable and
> > can be analyzed by tools. That includes Java but is arguable for C++.
> > What about Smalltalk, Self, Eifel, Prolog, Lisp, Occam, M, Object
> > Pascal, Oberon, etc?

> > While I might write a Web site in Perl, I'd prefer avionics and banking
> > to be in something a little more trustworthy.
> > --

> Well, Peter, which do you want? I wouldn't call C++ compact or Java
> trustworthy. How many times has the JVM in your browser crashed lately?

> OTOH, I have plenty of production stuff in PERL and have had zero, yes
> zero instances in recent memory where a Perl program "crashed".

I didn't say C++ was compact or Java trustworthy. Someone else mentioned
C. Actually, that's what I use apart from 4GL, sh, etc. Maybe I'd better
sit down and learn perl properly :).

I don't use a JVM in my browser much as I don't find web surfing a
productive use of my time.

Someone commented on reliable OSs. Want an operating system that NEVER
crashes: EPOC on the Psion 3 series. The machine runs for years on end
unless the airport scanner gets it.

Meanwhile, back to the really productive stuff..... 4GL!
--
Peter Lancashire
Information Systems Specialist, Bayer plc
Eastern Way, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP32 7AH, UK
Tel: +44-1635-562258,  Fax: +44-1635-562281

---
My Internet plumbing does not allow me to mail and post news together.
Sorry.
All opinions are my own and not those of Bayer plc.
---
Join Infuse, the UK Informix User Group at http://www.infuse.co.uk/



Sun, 01 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 12 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

2. Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

3. Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

4. Question about high-volume, high-speed data import.

5. Filemaker dying a slow death...

6. Borland C++ Builder is comming to Dallas

7. C++ Builder is comming to Dallas

8. Help, PLEASE: Runtime Error 3173 (Die, Die, Die)

9. FoxPro's death - Microsoft's reply

10. Writing C++ DLL's for VFP3.0

11. backend dies when C function calls C++ library that throws an exception

12. WSIPX Blue Screen o' Death


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software