Sybase 4.9.2 and multiple engines, help! 
Author Message
 Sybase 4.9.2 and multiple engines, help!

I know Sybase 11 allows multiple engines to be run, but does
SqlServer 4.9.2?  If so are there any URL's on how to setup
another engine to run?  Are there any gotcha's?  If it's simple
could someone just outline the steps required to fire up another
engine.

We have a machine running 4.9.2 and don't have the time to migrate
it to Sybase 11, and would like to see if we could get improved
proformance running another engine since we have a 2 CPU box.

I'm not a DBA but a developer so please speak slowly and use small
words. :)

Thanks,

Bryan



Thu, 09 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Sybase 4.9.2 and multiple engines, help!

Quote:

> I know Sybase 11 allows multiple engines to be run, but does
> SqlServer 4.9.2?

        Yes.

Quote:
> If so are there any URL's on how to setup another engine to run?

        You don't need one. Its the same as System X{I} -
        'sp_configure "max online engines" <val>' or whatever.
        Check in your 4.9.X Commands Reference Manual (sorry,
        I don't have one on me at the moment).

Quote:
> Are there any gotcha's?

        Apart from the fact that its 4.9.2, no, not really.
        Oh, one word of caution, don't set up multiple
        network handlers as well.

Quote:
> If it's simple could someone just outline the steps required
> to fire up another engine.

        See above.

Quote:
> We have a machine running 4.9.2 and don't have the time to migrate
> it to Sybase 11, and would like to see if we could get improved
> proformance running another engine since we have a 2 CPU box.

        You mightn't. 4.9.2 doesn't have the load balancing and
        engine affinity features of System XI.

Quote:
> I'm not a DBA but a developer so please speak slowly and use small
> words. :)

        Listen very careful then, because I'll say this only once -
        approach with caution, and at the first sign of trouble,
        duck and cover.

-am



Fri, 10 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 2 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. System 11 dumps hang with multiple Sybase engines

2. Multiple Oracle engines within a unix box

3. Multiple database select problem from a single engine

4. Multiple engines

5. System 11, multiple engines & task assignments

6. using multiple online engines

7. Multiple DBMS engines on same RS/6000 box

8. Multiple On-Line Engines

9. Backing up multiple Online Engines - how ?

10. Searching multiple fields with the Excalibur search engine??

11. onprobe w/ multiple engines

12. Need help with multiple SELECT using multiple COUNTs


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software