Raw Partition layout on Linux 
Author Message
 Raw Partition layout on Linux

Nope.  At least with Informix 7.3 etc you are limited to the offset +
the chunk size bieng <= 2G .  So you need to either get past the 4
partition limit, or go to using files instead of raw partitions.  Files of
course will have the major drawback (on linux anyway) of going
through the file system cache which is not what you want.  Of
course that is assuming that the version of Linux you are using
does raw (disk character device) I/O direct to user space (I'm not
up on my Linux vesions).  If that is not the case, then using files
won't be much worse.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.***.com/
Before you buy.



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Raw Partition layout on Linux

Hello,

I am now jumping into raw partitions on Intel Linux.

I have 2 nine gig drives.  I would like to use 3 gig for the OS and
applications.  The last 6 gig for informix.

On Intel hardware you can have 4 primary partitions.  3 partitions for
the OS. Can I create a partition say /dev/sda4 of six gig and break that
up into 2 gig chunks for informix data spaces.  Would I use offsets?  Is
this the *right* way to do it.

I am going to use the 2 drive for informix to mirror to.

Thanks

Lach



Wed, 05 Mar 2003 14:38:26 GMT
 Raw Partition layout on Linux

Quote:

> Nope.  At least with Informix 7.3 etc you are limited to the offset +
> the chunk size bieng <= 2G .  So you need to either get past the 4
> partition limit, or go to using files instead of raw partitions.

Confusion abounds!  There is no 4 partition limit for linux.  If you
want more than 4 partitions, you have to use logical and not primary.
I have 13 partitions on my Dual PPro Linux system.

Quote:
> Files of
> course will have the major drawback (on linux anyway) of going
> through the file system cache which is not what you want.  Of
> course that is assuming that the version of Linux you are using
> does raw (disk character device) I/O direct to user space (I'm not
> up on my Linux vesions).  If that is not the case, then using files
> won't be much worse.

I'm sure that he meant "raw" in the sense that there is no filesystem
on the partition.  AFAIK, there are only block devices for disks on
the major Linux distributions.

One thing I do wish for is a partition ID for the major databases
so that I can see at a glance with fdisk just what I have on what
partitions.

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412

President, CEO                             Fax: (760) 499-9152
My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084  4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3 B00B



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Raw Partition layout on Linux
I believe raw disk can be created but it wasn't standard, maybe in 2.4
when it's ready.

If I were you I would investigate using LVM for linux bung your disks in
a volume group and carve them into 2 gig chunks,  I believe raw lvm
devices are possible to.

I've never done the above, by the way, but am thinking about it.

cheers

mja



Quote:

> > Nope.  At least with Informix 7.3 etc you are limited to the offset
+
> > the chunk size bieng <= 2G .  So you need to either get past the 4
> > partition limit, or go to using files instead of raw partitions.

> Confusion abounds!  There is no 4 partition limit for linux.  If you
> want more than 4 partitions, you have to use logical and not primary.
> I have 13 partitions on my Dual PPro Linux system.

> > Files of
> > course will have the major drawback (on linux anyway) of going
> > through the file system cache which is not what you want.  Of
> > course that is assuming that the version of Linux you are using
> > does raw (disk character device) I/O direct to user space (I'm not
> > up on my Linux vesions).  If that is not the case, then using files
> > won't be much worse.

> I'm sure that he meant "raw" in the sense that there is no filesystem
> on the partition.  AFAIK, there are only block devices for disks on
> the major Linux distributions.

> One thing I do wish for is a partition ID for the major databases
> so that I can see at a glance with fdisk just what I have on what
> partitions.

> --
> Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412

> President, CEO                             Fax: (760) 499-9152
> My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084  4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3 B00B

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.


Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Oracle Raw Partitions on Linux

2. Oracle on Linux using raw partitions

3. RAW partitions on Linux

4. Raw partitions on Linux

5. Oracle Raw partition in Linux

6. Informix IDS 7.30UC7 on Linux kernel param/raw partitions

7. Raw partitions vs. Cooked partitions

8. Raw I/O vs files (was Re: Raw partitions / cooked files)

9. Raw Partition Support for SQL 6

10. file system and raw partition

11. RAW PARTITION

12. SQL Server 2K RAW Partitions


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software