Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1 
Author Message
 Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1
Dear All,

Is it possible to install Informix Database IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1
which has kernel 2.2.4-2 and glibc 2.2.2-10 ?

Regards
Vikas



Fri, 04 Jun 2004 12:01:32 GMT
 Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1

We run our production system (IIF 9.21 UC4) on Red Hat 7.1 with kernel
2.4.9-6 SMP and glibc of 2.2.4. We have had no OS problems. I believe
IDS 9.21 has a version for 2.2.x kernels. You might also post this to

Linux.
Quote:

> Dear All,

> Is it possible to install Informix Database IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1
> which has kernel 2.2.4-2 and glibc 2.2.2-10 ?

> Regards
> Vikas



Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:24:41 GMT
 Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1
How does the performance compare to a similarly tweaked NT box?  I'd like to
move our server over to Linux, but only if there was a performance gain..

--
Ryan Barrett



Quote:
> We run our production system (IIF 9.21 UC4) on Red Hat 7.1 with kernel
> 2.4.9-6 SMP and glibc of 2.2.4. We have had no OS problems. I believe
> IDS 9.21 has a version for 2.2.x kernels. You might also post this to

> Linux.



Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:01:56 GMT
 Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1

Yes, I have 10 machines in production with that configuration.

IDS 9.21.UC4

Quote:
----- Original Message -----


Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 10:01 PM
Subject: Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1

| Dear All,
|
| Is it possible to install Informix Database IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1
| which has kernel 2.2.4-2 and glibc 2.2.2-10 ?
|
| Regards
| Vikas
|
|



Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:23:57 GMT
 Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1

Our previous machine was:
Hp-9000 V2200 4-CPU 3 GB RAM , SCSI Disk Array Model-20 HP-UX 11.0 Price
$750,000 US.
New machine
Dell PowerEdge 8450 8-CPU 4 GB RAM, FC Disk Array, RH Linux 7.1   Price
$100,000 US.

Same In-house Informix 4GL app,   4 to 6 times faster.

No expericene with informix on NT.

Quote:
----- Original Message -----


Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1

| How does the performance compare to a similarly tweaked NT box?  I'd like
to
| move our server over to Linux, but only if there was a performance gain..
|
| --
| Ryan Barrett
|


| > We run our production system (IIF 9.21 UC4) on Red Hat 7.1 with kernel
| > 2.4.9-6 SMP and glibc of 2.2.4. We have had no OS problems. I believe
| > IDS 9.21 has a version for 2.2.x kernels. You might also post this to

| > Linux.
|
|



Fri, 04 Jun 2004 23:44:14 GMT
 Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1

How many users??

Quote:

>Our previous machine was:
>Hp-9000 V2200 4-CPU 3 GB RAM , SCSI Disk Array Model-20 HP-UX 11.0 Price
>$750,000 US.
>New machine
>Dell PowerEdge 8450 8-CPU 4 GB RAM, FC Disk Array, RH Linux 7.1   Price
>$100,000 US.

>Same In-house Informix 4GL app,   4 to 6 times faster.

>No expericene with informix on NT.
>----- Original Message -----


>Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 8:01 AM
>Subject: Re: Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1

>| How does the performance compare to a similarly tweaked NT box?  I'd like
>to
>| move our server over to Linux, but only if there was a performance gain..
>|
>| --
>| Ryan Barrett
>|


>| > We run our production system (IIF 9.21 UC4) on Red Hat 7.1 with kernel
>| > 2.4.9-6 SMP and glibc of 2.2.4. We have had no OS problems. I believe
>| > IDS 9.21 has a version for 2.2.x kernels. You might also post this to

>| > Linux.
>|
>|

--------------------------------
John Carlson
Informix DBA
EDS/WHSmith USA

#include std_disclaimer.h     /* These are my opinions, not my company's opinion  */



Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:31:23 GMT
 Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1

Quote:

> Dear All,

> Is it possible to install Informix Database IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1
> which has kernel 2.2.4-2 and glibc 2.2.2-10 ?

> Regards
> Vikas

I have installed the Foundation package on this environment several
times and it works great.

Harry Johnson



Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:58:20 GMT
 Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1

210 telnet clients using terminal emulation (many users open more than one
telnet sesion)
5 Win clients using Business Objects
3 Win clients using InfoMAP
5 Win clients using Visual Basic inhouse app.

Quote:
----- Original Message -----

| On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:44:14 -0600, "Fernando Ortiz"

|
| How many users??
|
| >
| >Our previous machine was:
| >Hp-9000 V2200 4-CPU 3 GB RAM , SCSI Disk Array Model-20 HP-UX 11.0 Price
| >$750,000 US.
| >New machine
| >Dell PowerEdge 8450 8-CPU 4 GB RAM, FC Disk Array, RH Linux 7.1   Price
| >$100,000 US.
| >
| >Same In-house Informix 4GL app,   4 to 6 times faster.
| >
| >No expericene with informix on NT.
| >----- Original Message -----

| >| How does the performance compare to a similarly tweaked NT box?  I'd
like
| >to
| >| move our server over to Linux, but only if there was a performance
gain..
| >|
| >| --
| >| Ryan Barrett
| >|


| >| > We run our production system (IIF 9.21 UC4) on Red Hat 7.1 with
kernel
| >| > 2.4.9-6 SMP and glibc of 2.2.4. We have had no OS problems. I believe
| >| > IDS 9.21 has a version for 2.2.x kernels. You might also post this to

on
| >| > Linux.
| >|
| >|



Sat, 05 Jun 2004 03:34:53 GMT
 Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1

Quote:

> How does the performance compare to a similarly tweaked NT box?  I'd like to
> move our server over to Linux, but only if there was a performance gain..

We haven't tried NT (with Informix) either. We moved from SE on older
Solaris workstations. Some of our processes are 20x faster! I said that
we are on the SMP kernel, but we actually only have 1 processor
installed right now. We are happy with our current speed increase so we
haven't added the second processor.

Do you have the resources/time to try a migration and check the speed
differences? One thing is for sure, Linux "licenses" are much cheaper
than Windows 2000 Server or the upcoming .Net server. NT support is
going away soon: MS wants more $$$$.

Quote:
> --
> Ryan Barrett



>>We run our production system (IIF 9.21 UC4) on Red Hat 7.1 with kernel
>>2.4.9-6 SMP and glibc of 2.2.4. We have had no OS problems. I believe
>>IDS 9.21 has a version for 2.2.x kernels. You might also post this to

>>Linux.



Sat, 05 Jun 2004 21:20:28 GMT
 Informix IDS 9.21 on RedHat Linux 7.1
I'm setting up a box at home - I'm dual booting XP/Mandrake - so I could
take a dump of one of our smaller (100mb) tables, and do a few tests on that
and report..

--
Ryan Barrett



Quote:

> Do you have the resources/time to try a migration and check the speed
> differences? One thing is for sure, Linux "licenses" are much cheaper
> than Windows 2000 Server or the upcoming .Net server. NT support is
> going away soon: MS wants more $$$$.



Sun, 06 Jun 2004 00:55:53 GMT
 
 [ 10 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Client connection to IDS 7.3 on Redhat Linux 7.1

2. ODBC access to INFORMIX SE on Redhat Linux 7.1

3. JVM with IDS 9.21 UC2 for Linux

4. IDS 9.21 for Linux 2.2 kernel on 2.4 Kernel

5. IDS 9.21 UC3 vs Linux 2.4.x

6. Informix/Redhat 7.1 v/s SQL2000/W2K : Informix twice as fast

7. Loading tables from Informix SE to IDS 9.21

8. Loading tables from Informix SE to IDS 9.21

9. IDS 7.30 on RedHat 7.1

10. pro*c on redhat linux 7.1

11. Oracle 8i installation issue RedHat Linux 7.1

12. How to backup oracle 9i database on Redhat Linux 7.1


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software