Backup/Archive 
Author Message
 Backup/Archive


Quote:

>Help ---

>I am using IDS 7.30.UC7 on a Linux box and am having a great deal of
>trouble
>trying to find out what Informix tool/utility is required to do an
>unattended online backup/archive of the database.  The CD talks about
>onbar,
>onarchive, etc. -- these are not available with this version (I can not
>find
>them!, onbar responds with not available).  I have looked at the Informix
>web site, but this seems to take me in circles. Could someone point me in
>the right direction?    Thanks in advance for your help.

echo "\n\n" | ontape

?

For onbar, you need to set up a storage manager. ISM should be there, but
it's a bit of work.

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.***.com/ .

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
http://www.***.com/ .



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Backup/Archive

What does

echo "\n\n" | ontape do?

Joe Terry



Quote:


> >Help ---

> >I am using IDS 7.30.UC7 on a Linux box and am having a great deal of
> >trouble
> >trying to find out what Informix tool/utility is required to do an
> >unattended online backup/archive of the database.  The CD talks about
> >onbar,
> >onarchive, etc. -- these are not available with this version (I can not
> >find
> >them!, onbar responds with not available).  I have looked at the Informix
> >web site, but this seems to take me in circles. Could someone point me in
> >the right direction?    Thanks in advance for your help.

> echo "\n\n" | ontape

> ?

> For onbar, you need to set up a storage manager. ISM should be there, but
> it's a bit of work.

> _________________________________________________________________________
> Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

> Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
> http://profiles.msn.com.



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Backup/Archive

Quote:

> What does
> echo "\n\n" | ontape do?

Exactly what was asked for: "unattended online backup/archive of the
database".

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412

President, CEO                             Fax: (760) 499-9152
My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084  4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3 B00B



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Backup/Archive

Quote:

> What does

> echo "\n\n" | ontape do?

Echo two newlines, pipe those to ontape.

Thomas



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Backup/Archive


Quote:

> > What does
> > echo "\n\n" | ontape do?

> Exactly what was asked for: "unattended online backup/archive of the
> database".

Aren't there any options missing there? Like something like ontape -c, or
ontape -a for logical logs.

Saludos... :-)

--
"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Santa Fe - Argentina            http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar
-----------------------------------------------------------------



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Backup/Archive

Quote:


> > What does
> > echo "\n\n" | ontape do?

> Exactly what was asked for: "unattended online backup/archive of the
> database".

Provided it fits on one tape. :>

-Rich



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Backup/Archive


Quote:


> > > What does
> > > echo "\n\n" | ontape do?

> > Exactly what was asked for: "unattended online backup/archive of the
> > database".

> Provided it fits on one tape. :>

> -Rich

Yep.

Or, you can write scripts to process the console output of ontape and switch
tape drives when each tape fills up.  It works, as long as your operators
remember to fill each drive daily.

Doug



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Backup/Archive
Quote:





> > > > What does
> > > > echo "\n\n" | ontape do?

> > > Exactly what was asked for: "unattended online backup/archive of the
> > > database".

> > Provided it fits on one tape. :>

> > -Rich

> Yep.

> Or, you can write scripts to process the console output of ontape and switch
> tape drives when each tape fills up.  It works, as long as your operators
> remember to fill each drive daily.

> Doug

Which is exactly what we did using expect and 4mm autoloaders. We have
occasionally encoutered errors where expect didn't know what to expect,
but in general it was a pretty solid solution. We don't have operators,
instead we used to rotate the tape duties through the admins. Powerful
incentive for getting the script right, when you're also the guy who
gets paged at 3:00AM for the failure!

-Rich



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Backup/Archive

Quote:



> > > What does
> > > echo "\n\n" | ontape do?

> > Exactly what was asked for: "unattended online backup/archive of the
> > database".

> Aren't there any options missing there? Like something like ontape -c, or
> ontape -a for logical logs.

Yes that should be:

LEVEL=0
echo "\n\n" | ontape -s -L $LEVEL

Art S. Kagel



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. How to backup/archive olap cubes

2. Backup/archive OLAP cubes - changing datasources

3. Backup Archiving Question SQL Server 6.5

4. Backup Archiving Question SQL Server 6.5

5. How to automate the backup/archive of Analysis server

6. Qn on Backup (Archive Log problem?)

7. question concerning backup, archive logs and recovery

8. Hot backup - Archived Redo Logs - How Long to Keep

9. Hot Backup - Archive Log query

10. Informix backup/archives

11. add-in to archive / backup individual cubes and virtual cubes

12. How long to keep archived backup tapes?


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software