Import Long Text Field? 
Author Message
 Import Long Text Field?

        I would like to create a simple database from some old
codebooks.  I am knowledgeable about WordPerfect & QuattroPro but
ignorant about Paradox.  The problem is that the main information in
the codebook is comprised of formatted (crudely) text that can be up
to (say) 1500 characters.  I understand that Paradox can handle this
in a memo field, but I cannot figure out how to get it there.
        I can successfully turn this into a WP merge file, a WP table,
and a QPro spreadsheet (although the spreadsheet drops the hard
returns, it retains all the content).  Unfortunately, when I try to
import this into Paradox in any form (spreadsheet, text), it seems to
always truncate the long fields.  In other words, I guess, it seems
that one can only import alpha fields, not memo fields.
        This does not make much sense, so I assume I am missing
something.  Could someone point me in a reasonable direction?  (Which
in this case hopefully means a way to do this without learning too
much.  I can put the information to be imported into most any format
needed.)

Thanks......Jackson

Robert Max Jackson
Sociology, NYU



Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Import Long Text Field?

Quote:

> up to (say) 1500 characters.  I understand that Paradox can handle this
> in a memo field, but I cannot figure out how to get it there.

depends on the original source of the data.. most platforms that support
"memo" info do it in completely unique manners

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

http://www.diamondsg.com



Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Import Long Text Field?
        The original material is simply text, with crude formatting
based only on spaces and carriage returns (I can live without the
formatting).  Each ASCII codebook is filled with entries describing a
series of variables.  I can transform this into a file divided into
records with two fields, one the variable name, the other the text
describing it.  I can put this into a simple delimited text file, a
quattropro file (a 2 column spreadsheet), a Wordperfect merge file, or
something else as needed.  Thus, the files to be imported are simple,
but are not any database.  
        The problem for me is how to get these files imported into
Paradox (without learning a lot).  As far as I can tell, the Paradox
import lacks the basic capacity to parse long text fields into memo
fields and simply truncates them all to alpha fields.  It does this
even when importing a spreadsheet when the no parsing is required,
just the importing of cell text content.  I have almost no experience
with database programs, so I may just be missing some simple way to do
this or there may be a very good reason for this limitation (which
seems peculiar to me).

Thanks.....Jackson



Quote:

>> up to (say) 1500 characters.  I understand that Paradox can handle this
>> in a memo field, but I cannot figure out how to get it there.

>depends on the original source of the data.. most platforms that support
>"memo" info do it in completely unique manners

Robert Max Jackson
Sociology, NYU



Thu, 05 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Import Long Text Field?
For whatever reason, Paradox simply will not import/export the memo fields.
You must write a pal script to read the ascii data into a string variable,
then plug it into the memo field for the appropriate record.

Ken

Quote:

>         The original material is simply text, with crude formatting
> based only on spaces and carriage returns (I can live without the
> formatting).  Each ASCII codebook is filled with entries describing a
> series of variables.  I can transform this into a file divided into
> records with two fields, one the variable name, the other the text
> describing it.  I can put this into a simple delimited text file, a
> quattropro file (a 2 column spreadsheet), a Wordperfect merge file, or
> something else as needed.  Thus, the files to be imported are simple,
> but are not any database.
>         The problem for me is how to get these files imported into
> Paradox (without learning a lot).  As far as I can tell, the Paradox
> import lacks the basic capacity to parse long text fields into memo
> fields and simply truncates them all to alpha fields.  It does this
> even when importing a spreadsheet when the no parsing is required,
> just the importing of cell text content.  I have almost no experience
> with database programs, so I may just be missing some simple way to do
> this or there may be a very good reason for this limitation (which
> seems peculiar to me).

> Thanks.....Jackson




> >> up to (say) 1500 characters.  I understand that Paradox can handle this
> >> in a memo field, but I cannot figure out how to get it there.

> >depends on the original source of the data.. most platforms that support
> >"memo" info do it in completely unique manners

> Robert Max Jackson
> Sociology, NYU




Thu, 05 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Import Long Text Field?
Look at: EDITOR Read <filename> which places the named file into the
current editor session at the cursor location.

Your PAL script will have to be in FieldView on the Memo field

Steve U



Quote:
>For whatever reason, Paradox simply will not import/export the memo fields.
>You must write a pal script to read the ascii data into a string variable,
>then plug it into the memo field for the appropriate record.

>Ken


>>         The original material is simply text, with crude formatting
>> based only on spaces and carriage returns (I can live without the
>> formatting).  Each ASCII codebook is filled with entries describing a
>> series of variables.  I can transform this into a file divided into
>> records with two fields, one the variable name, the other the text
>> describing it.  I can put this into a simple delimited text file, a
>> quattropro file (a 2 column spreadsheet), a Wordperfect merge file, or
>> something else as needed.  Thus, the files to be imported are simple,
>> but are not any database.
>>         The problem for me is how to get these files imported into
>> Paradox (without learning a lot).  As far as I can tell, the Paradox
>> import lacks the basic capacity to parse long text fields into memo
>> fields and simply truncates them all to alpha fields.  It does this
>> even when importing a spreadsheet when the no parsing is required,
>> just the importing of cell text content.  I have almost no experience
>> with database programs, so I may just be missing some simple way to do
>> this or there may be a very good reason for this limitation (which
>> seems peculiar to me).

>> Thanks.....Jackson




>> >> up to (say) 1500 characters.  I understand that Paradox can handle this
>> >> in a memo field, but I cannot figure out how to get it there.

>> >depends on the original source of the data.. most platforms that support
>> >"memo" info do it in completely unique manners

>> Robert Max Jackson
>> Sociology, NYU


,        _
,       | \                           Steve Urbach
,       |  )erek

,  / / /                              http://www.greenduck.com


Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Import Long Text Fields

2. Importing long text fields into Pdox 4.0 DOS

3. Import of long text(delimited) to PFW5.0 memo fields

4. Importing long text data to PFW 5.0 memo field

5. Importing a Text file into a single text field

6. Importing long text

7. Import long record, fixed width text file questions

8. import data from Access to sql server2000 (long text)

9. Using Open Statement to import a long text file in Access

10. Importing long text strings??????

11. Help!! Importing long text strings

12. importing text files with longer records


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software