Paradox V 4.5 vs Windows 98! 
Author Message
 Paradox V 4.5 vs Windows 98!

Here's a mystery for you -- I hope someone can help!

Just got a new Dell 500 mhz Pentium III, and have completed the "data
transfer shuffle" (Gosh, these 20 gigabyte hard drives are SO fun to
transfer!  Next time I connect the two machines directly...).

I installed Paradox 4.5 from the original disks, and then transferred my
application by copying the Working directory (C:\PDOXWIN\WORKING) from the
old computer to the new one, using Zip disks.    (I was using Windows '98 on
the old computer, too.)

Everything in the application functions, but -- EVERY time I exit Paradox, I
get the dreaded "An error has occurred in your application...", giving you
the choice to proceed or "ignore" (which, of course, NEVER works).

I then get the "Blue Screen of Death", stating that we've had a "GPF in
module PXSRV.DLL at 0006: 0000006C".

I've tried changing the autoexec. bat settings to the ones recommended in
previous posts, to no avail.  Quite frankly, I'm stumped -- why would this
do this upon EXITING the software?

Help!  I run my business with this application!

Thanks in advance,

(BTW, I tried upgrading to Paradox V. 7.0, and the application would not
function normally, for some reason.  Things like queries would not work,
inexplicably.  Ideally I would like to upgrade to a newer version of
Paradox)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA



Thu, 13 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Paradox V 4.5 vs Windows 98!

Don't have W98 so never seen the blue screen. W95 gets the error
because the is way to much memory.
You need to set the Shortcut command line to include the memory limit
switch

Paradox.exe  -extk 16000  yada.. yada
the number should be between 4K and 16K  (8 K is usually fine)

Another problem you will probably see is you huge Hardisk  (over 2
Gig, will confuse Paradox. Get lesspace.com from Steve Greens web site
or  use paradox ONLY with a partition of 2 gig or less for both the
Data and the PRIVATE DIR.

Steve U



Quote:
>Here's a mystery for you -- I hope someone can help!

>Just got a new Dell 500 mhz Pentium III, and have completed the "data
>transfer shuffle" (Gosh, these 20 gigabyte hard drives are SO fun to
>transfer!  Next time I connect the two machines directly...).

>I installed Paradox 4.5 from the original disks, and then transferred my
>application by copying the Working directory (C:\PDOXWIN\WORKING) from the
>old computer to the new one, using Zip disks.    (I was using Windows '98 on
>the old computer, too.)

>Everything in the application functions, but -- EVERY time I exit Paradox, I
>get the dreaded "An error has occurred in your application...", giving you
>the choice to proceed or "ignore" (which, of course, NEVER works).

>I then get the "Blue Screen of Death", stating that we've had a "GPF in
>module PXSRV.DLL at 0006: 0000006C".

>I've tried changing the autoexec. bat settings to the ones recommended in
>previous posts, to no avail.  Quite frankly, I'm stumped -- why would this
>do this upon EXITING the software?

>Help!  I run my business with this application!

>Thanks in advance,

>(BTW, I tried upgrading to Paradox V. 7.0, and the application would not
>function normally, for some reason.  Things like queries would not work,
>inexplicably.  Ideally I would like to upgrade to a newer version of
>Paradox)
>--
>Jay Honeck
>Iowa City, IA

,        _
,       | \                           Steve Urbach
,       |  )erek

,  / / /                              http://www.greenduck.com


Thu, 13 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Paradox V 4.5 vs Windows 98!
UPDATE --- UPDATE
After perusing this terrific newsgroup some more, I discovered the Corel
website, and found a whole bunch of patches for Paradox V. 7.

After messing around with THAT for an hour or two, Version 7 now functions
with my application, neatly side-stepping my problem with Version 4.5.

Still, I wonder what exactly caused it to crash on THIS system, but not my
old Pentium 200, also running Win '98???

Thanks you help...

Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Quote:
> >Here's a mystery for you -- I hope someone can help!

> >Just got a new Dell 500 mhz Pentium III, and have completed the "data
> >transfer shuffle" (Gosh, these 20 gigabyte hard drives are SO fun to
> >transfer!  Next time I connect the two machines directly...).

> >I installed Paradox 4.5 from the original disks, and then transferred my
> >application by copying the Working directory (C:\PDOXWIN\WORKING) from
the
> >old computer to the new one, using Zip disks.    (I was using Windows '98
on
> >the old computer, too.)

> >Everything in the application functions, but -- EVERY time I exit
Paradox, I
> >get the dreaded "An error has occurred in your application...", giving
you
> >the choice to proceed or "ignore" (which, of course, NEVER works).

> >I then get the "Blue Screen of Death", stating that we've had a "GPF in
> >module PXSRV.DLL at 0006: 0000006C".

> >I've tried changing the autoexec. bat settings to the ones recommended in
> >previous posts, to no avail.  Quite frankly, I'm stumped -- why would
this
> >do this upon EXITING the software?

> >Help!  I run my business with this application!

> >Thanks in advance,

> >(BTW, I tried upgrading to Paradox V. 7.0, and the application would not
> >function normally, for some reason.  Things like queries would not work,
> >inexplicably.  Ideally I would like to upgrade to a newer version of
> >Paradox)
> >--
> >Jay Honeck
> >Iowa City, IA

> ,        _
> ,       | \                           Steve Urbach
> ,       |  )erek

> ,  / / /                              http://www.greenduck.com



Thu, 13 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Paradox V 4.5 vs Windows 98!

Quote:

> You need to set the Shortcut command line to include the memory limit
> switch
> Paradox.exe  -extk 16000  yada.. yada

this guy was asking about pdoxwin, not pdoxdos..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

http://www.diamondsg.com



Thu, 13 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Paradox V 4.5 vs Windows 98!


Quote:

>> You need to set the Shortcut command line to include the memory limit
>> switch
>> Paradox.exe  -extk 16000  yada.. yada

>this guy was asking about pdoxwin, not pdoxdos..

Oops ! missed that in there, bad me .

Steve U

Quote:
>--
>Steve Green
>Corel CTech - Paradox
>Diamond Software Group, Inc.
>Waldorf, Maryland  USA

>http://www.diamondsg.com


,        _
,       | \                           Steve Urbach
,       |  )erek

,  / / /                              http://www.greenduck.com


Fri, 14 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. FPW vs. Paradox 4.5 for Windows

2. Windows NT vs Windows 98

3. Access vs Approach vs Paradox vs FilePro vs Filemaker Pro

4. Windows 98 Clients vs Oracle, HELP!!

5. Pdox 3.5 vs.Pdox 4.02 vs. Pdox 4.5

6. Paradox 4.5 for DOS and ACCESS 95/98

7. PDOX 4.5 Won't Run with Windows 98

8. HELP Paradox vs Access vs Foxpro vs ????????????

9. Paradox 4.5 Vs 8

10. Paradox 4.5 vs 5.0 Inconsistency with WinStyleHidden?

11. PARADOX 4.0 VS. 4.5: WHICH TO USE?

12. Paradox 4.5 vs. Novell VLM and WFWG


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software