Password field 
Author Message
 Password field
Is there some way that I can set up my password field so that as a person is
typing their password, it is showing stars or something like that on the
screen instead of the actual password?


Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:05:22 GMT
 Password field

Try formatting the field with an illegible font like Symbols or Windings.

--

John Weinshel
Datagrace
Associate Member, Filemaker Solutions Alliance
Vashon Island, WA
(206) 463-1634


Quote:
> Is there some way that I can set up my password field so that as a person
is
> typing their password, it is showing stars or something like that on the
> screen instead of the actual password?



Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:10:12 GMT
 Password field
Set the field to use a font that is a "garbage font" like wingdings or set
the text color the same as the field color.

Tim Morrison
Waterloo Tent & Tarp, Inc.


Quote:
> Is there some way that I can set up my password field so that as a person
is
> typing their password, it is showing stars or something like that on the
> screen instead of the actual password?



Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:18:32 GMT
 Password field
There is a password font that consists of only bullets, but it must be
installed on every machine to work.   Same goes for Symbols or Windings.
If the font is unavailable, filemaker will make substitutions which may be
just regular fonts.  

Another thing to consider:  you just have to change the font to read the
password so make sure the password layout is inaccessible except via
opening script, that the script clears the field before it appears on
screen, and that users are instructed never to leave the computer
unattended while the password layout is on screen.

--
Bridget Eley


Quote:

> Try formatting the field with an illegible font like Symbols or Windings.

> --

> John Weinshel
> Datagrace
> Associate Member, Filemaker Solutions Alliance
> Vashon Island, WA
> (206) 463-1634



> > Is there some way that I can set up my password field so that as a person
> is
> > typing their password, it is showing stars or something like that on the
> > screen instead of the actual password?



Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:46:01 GMT
 Password field
Good points, Bridget.

Only way around those points I can think of is to enter the password during
a script, which would be likely in any event, into a global field formatted
as described, with either an illegible font, and/or the color set to the
background color (making entry even more difficult). Once the string is
tested successfully against the stored password, the field can be re-set to
"". But it sure would be nice to have the asterisks, as in HTML or in VB.

John


Quote:
> There is a password font that consists of only bullets, but it must be
> installed on every machine to work.   Same goes for Symbols or Windings.
> If the font is unavailable, filemaker will make substitutions which may be
> just regular fonts.

> Another thing to consider:  you just have to change the font to read the
> password so make sure the password layout is inaccessible except via
> opening script, that the script clears the field before it appears on
> screen, and that users are instructed never to leave the computer
> unattended while the password layout is on screen.

> --
> Bridget Eley



> > Try formatting the field with an illegible font like Symbols or
Windings.

> > --

> > John Weinshel
> > Datagrace
> > Associate Member, Filemaker Solutions Alliance
> > Vashon Island, WA
> > (206) 463-1634



> > > Is there some way that I can set up my password field so that as a
person
> > is
> > > typing their password, it is showing stars or something like that on
the
> > > screen instead of the actual password?



Tue, 19 Aug 2003 05:50:31 GMT
 Password field
Try setting the text color of the password field to the same color as
the background, your users will type but nothing will appear.  I know
its not as desirable as having bullets, but its not bad.  You can also
get a a dialog plugin from http://www.troi.com/ - that has a password,
bullet type dialog.

louis

Quote:

>Set the field to use a font that is a "garbage font" like wingdings or set
>the text color the same as the field color.

>Tim Morrison
>Waterloo Tent & Tarp, Inc.



>> Is there some way that I can set up my password field so that as a person
>is
>> typing their password, it is showing stars or something like that on the
>> screen instead of the actual password?



Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:28:12 GMT
 Password field
I have made a bullet font if you are interested
Neil Jensen


| Try setting the text color of the password field to the same color as
| the background, your users will type but nothing will appear.  I know
| its not as desirable as having bullets, but its not bad.  You can also
| get a a dialog plugin from http://www.troi.com/ - that has a password,
| bullet type dialog.
|
| louis
|

| >Set the field to use a font that is a "garbage font" like wingdings or
set
| >the text color the same as the field color.
| >
| >Tim Morrison
| >Waterloo Tent & Tarp, Inc.

| >
| >
| >
| >


| >> Is there some way that I can set up my password field so that as a
person
| >is
| >> typing their password, it is showing stars or something like that on
the
| >> screen instead of the actual password?
| >>
| >>
| >>
| >
| >



Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:17:24 GMT
 Password field
I would love to get a copy of it.


Quote:
> I have made a bullet font if you are interested
> Neil Jensen



> | Try setting the text color of the password field to the same color as
> | the background, your users will type but nothing will appear.  I know
> | its not as desirable as having bullets, but its not bad.  You can also
> | get a a dialog plugin from http://www.troi.com/ - that has a password,
> | bullet type dialog.
> |
> | louis
> |

> | >Set the field to use a font that is a "garbage font" like wingdings or
> set
> | >the text color the same as the field color.
> | >
> | >Tim Morrison
> | >Waterloo Tent & Tarp, Inc.

> | >
> | >
> | >
> | >


> | >> Is there some way that I can set up my password field so that as a
> person
> | >is
> | >> typing their password, it is showing stars or something like that on
> the
> | >> screen instead of the actual password?
> | >>
> | >>
> | >>
> | >
> | >



Fri, 22 Aug 2003 02:38:01 GMT
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Encrypt an ASP password field in SQL Server...

2. Ideas for a password field...

3. Encrypting SQL Server password field

4. Password Field ??

5. Password Field in Table

6. Help needed to encrypt password field in SQL 7.0

7. Encrypting A Password field

8. Hide password field view

9. Password Field

10. Datatype for the PASSWORD field

11. Encrypt an ASP password field in SQL Server...

12. encrypting a password field in the database


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software