FMP Environment 
Author Message
 FMP Environment

The FMP environment seems awkward and not user
friendly.

-- For instance, it would appear that open app
files that appear minimized at the bottom of the
FMP desktop can be closed by users w/ unknown
consequences.  Are there consequences affecting
the network app if one user closes these files on
his/her PC?
-- If you close a "main menu" file the app
dissapears, requiring the user to know the name
of the "menu" file to reopen the app.  Is it
possible to reference an app file in the command
line of a shortcut so FMP opens directly to an
app?  I'm concerned about the user opening a
network app file directly rather via the hosts
button, thereby corrupting an open network app
file.
-- How does a user create a custom report on-the-
fly or a personalized view of the data that does
not get shared w/ everyone else on the network?
-- Is it possible to prevent users from deleting
records?
-- Is it possible to "drill down" into related
data/files?
-- The time it takes to open an app appears to
depend on the number of files in the app... the
more files, the longer it takes to open the app.
Does this time increase as these files grow in
size?  Also, opening these files over a LAN or
WAN could really be slow?

Am I missing something here? Are these real
issues/concerns or are there ways to deal w/
these issues?  Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.***.com/
Before you buy.



Wed, 01 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FMP Environment

Quote:

> The FMP environment seems awkward and not user
> friendly.

That is a rare point of view, but OK.

Quote:
> -- For instance, it would appear that open app
> files that appear minimized at the bottom of the
> FMP desktop can be closed by users w/ unknown
> consequences.  Are there consequences affecting
> the network app if one user closes these files on
> his/her PC?

The consequences are known. If there are shared users, the host will get
a message like "There are x number of users currently sharing this file.
Do you really want to boot them?" (paraphrased)
I'm not sure what other consequences you are worried about. In any
serious shared solution, you should host the solution from a dedicated
machine with no user.

Quote:
> -- If you close a "main menu" file the app
> dissapears, requiring the user to know the name
> of the "menu" file to reopen the app.  

You seem to be confused between what an application is, and what a
document is. When you close a "main menu" file, the app does not
disappear.

If the user closes the menu file, why do they need to know its name? Is
there not a shortcut to the file on their desktop or somewhere easy like that?

Quote:
> Is it
> possible to reference an app file in the command
> line of a shortcut so FMP opens directly to an
> app?  

Why not just use a shortcut to the "main menu" file that you spoke of??

Quote:
> I'm concerned about the user opening a
> network app file directly rather via the hosts
> button, thereby corrupting an open network app
> file.

Simply disable file sharing to the directory where your solution is, and
your concern will end. Use the "main menu" file that you spoke of to
provide "push-button" access (via scripts) to the shared files. I think
you are close to having it right.

Quote:
> -- How does a user create a custom report on-the-
> fly or a personalized view of the data that does
> not get shared w/ everyone else on the network?

You can ask the user to specify date ranges, etc, via scripts and
layouts designed for that purpose.
You can set up several possible sorts (via buttons, for instance), or
let savvy users have access to the Sort dialog box via script. You can
limit access to those reports via password group.

Quote:
> -- Is it possible to prevent users from deleting
> records?

Yes. The manual will tell you how. Look at the passwords sections.

Quote:
> -- Is it possible to "drill down" into related
> data/files?

Certainly. Make the fields into buttons which can go to a related
record, or can execute a script for "as complicated as you wanna make
it" type stuff.

Quote:
> -- The time it takes to open an app appears to
> depend on the number of files in the app... the
> more files, the longer it takes to open the app.

You don't have to open them all at once. Open the one file that the user
specifies, and let FM open any others that it might need. They only have
to open once per session (I suggest to my users to keep it open all day)

Quote:
> Does this time increase as these files grow in
> size?  

Not in my experience.

Quote:
> Also, opening these files over a LAN or
> WAN could really be slow?

Depends on your LAN, but if it's at least 10T ethernet, you should be
just fine. If it's a 56k WAN, you're sunk.

Quote:

> Am I missing something here? Are these real
> issues/concerns or are there ways to deal w/
> these issues?  Thanks.

Some of your questions suggest that you haven't read the manual cover to
cover yet. That is always a good thing, even for pros to do occasionally.


Fri, 03 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FMP Environment
Some of these concerns are PC environment related issues, not FMP
related issues. the other response is also very helpful. Like ANY db
program, the more memory allotted to the DB, the faster it will run.

Adam

Quote:

> The FMP environment seems awkward and not user
> friendly.

> -- For instance, it would appear that open app
> files that appear minimized at the bottom of the
> FMP desktop can be closed by users w/ unknown
> consequences.  Are there consequences affecting
> the network app if one user closes these files on
> his/her PC?
> -- If you close a "main menu" file the app
> dissapears, requiring the user to know the name
> of the "menu" file to reopen the app.  Is it
> possible to reference an app file in the command
> line of a shortcut so FMP opens directly to an
> app?  I'm concerned about the user opening a
> network app file directly rather via the hosts
> button, thereby corrupting an open network app
> file.
> -- How does a user create a custom report on-the-
> fly or a personalized view of the data that does
> not get shared w/ everyone else on the network?
> -- Is it possible to prevent users from deleting
> records?
> -- Is it possible to "drill down" into related
> data/files?
> -- The time it takes to open an app appears to
> depend on the number of files in the app... the
> more files, the longer it takes to open the app.
> Does this time increase as these files grow in
> size?  Also, opening these files over a LAN or
> WAN could really be slow?

> Am I missing something here? Are these real
> issues/concerns or are there ways to deal w/
> these issues?  Thanks.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.



Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. CDML COMMAND:[fmp-linkfirst] [fmp-linknext] [fmp-linklast] [fmp-linkprevious]

2. Mac FMP Server in a Wintel environment

3. Will FMP 4 read FMP 1?

4. Help FMP Server and FMP Pro

5. Query between FMP Server and FMP Unlimited

6. fmp server & fmp unlimited

7. FMP 5.5 and FMP 5 for the same file

8. FMP Unlimited WITHOUT FMP Server

9. FMP 5 Server vs FMP 5 file hosting, Part II

10. FMP 5 Server vs FMP 5 file hosting

11. Most effective way to setup FMP U and FMP Server

12. CDML Problem: fmp-if tag within FMP-valuelist tags


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software