Setting printer options in a script 
Author Message
 Setting printer options in a script

I have several scripts that involve printing as a step and I have run into a
consistent problem. Sometimes I design a script to print a number of records
and some scripts are meant to print only a single record. Unfortunately the
scripts use the default choice used for the previous printing job - not
necessarily the one I want the script to use. Is there a way for me to tell
the script which option I want selected automatically - i.e. "Print all
records" or "Print Current Record". Also, if it involves something like an
apple script, how would I do this on a PC

Damian Brennan



Sat, 13 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Setting printer options in a script

A script uses the print options (current or all records, landscape or
portrait, etc.)  last used when the script was created.  (Same is true with
Find, Sort, etc.).  The best way to create a script which uses these
functions is to perform the functions manually (print, find, sort etc.)
before creating the script.  If you fail to do this, you then can do it
manually afterwards and then edit the script.  When you say OK, you have the
options to change these options.

In short, the program works exactly the way you want it to.

Mark Bley

Quote:

>I have several scripts that involve printing as a step and I have run into
a
>consistent problem. Sometimes I design a script to print a number of
records
>and some scripts are meant to print only a single record. Unfortunately the
>scripts use the default choice used for the previous printing job - not
>necessarily the one I want the script to use. Is there a way for me to tell
>the script which option I want selected automatically - i.e. "Print all
>records" or "Print Current Record". Also, if it involves something like an
>apple script, how would I do this on a PC

>Damian Brennan



Sat, 13 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Setting printer options in a script
I've been fighting this one for 3 years with no solution. I wonder if anyone
from FileMaker reads this newsgroup.

Quote:

>I have several scripts that involve printing as a step and I have run into
a
>consistent problem



Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Setting printer options in a script
Just tested what you described,
Printed "records being browsed", manually
Created a print script
Printed "current record", manually
Created another print script

Both scripts print current record. Maybe there's something wrong with my app
(FMP 3.0v5)

Vince

Quote:

>A script uses the print options (current or all records, landscape or
>portrait, etc.)  last used when the script was created



Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Setting printer options in a script
My response is the same as Cap's - it doesn't work although it is supposed
to.

Damian
----------

Quote:

>A script uses the print options (current or all records, landscape or
>portrait, etc.)  last used when the script was created.  (Same is true with
>Find, Sort, etc.).  The best way to create a script which uses these
>functions is to perform the functions manually (print, find, sort etc.)
>before creating the script.  If you fail to do this, you then can do it
>manually afterwards and then edit the script.  When you say OK, you have the
>options to change these options.

>In short, the program works exactly the way you want it to.

>Mark Bley


>>I have several scripts that involve printing as a step and I have run into
>a
>>consistent problem. Sometimes I design a script to print a number of
>records
>>and some scripts are meant to print only a single record. Unfortunately the
>>scripts use the default choice used for the previous printing job - not
>>necessarily the one I want the script to use. Is there a way for me to tell
>>the script which option I want selected automatically - i.e. "Print all
>>records" or "Print Current Record". Also, if it involves something like an
>>apple script, how would I do this on a PC

>>Damian Brennan



Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Setting printer options in a script

Quote:

>Just tested what you described,
>Printed "records being browsed", manually
>Created a print script
>Printed "current record", manually
>Created another print script

>Both scripts print current record. Maybe there's something wrong with my app
>(FMP 3.0v5)

>Vince


>>A script uses the print options (current or all records, landscape or
>>portrait, etc.)  last used when the script was created

Vince,

If you already have the script written, this is what you can do. Manually do
a print and select the "records being browsed". Then go immediately to the
script you want change. Select edit..., make sure the "Page Setup" line has
the "Restore setup options" checked. Now when you click OK, a dialog box
will come up. One of the option, in fact the first option, is Setup Option.
Click on the replace button on the right of Setup Option. From now on when
you print with this scipt you will get the records being browsed.

Good Luck.

Lui W.
__________________________________________________
Note: Remove "NOSPAM_" before replying.
__________________________________________________



Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Setting printer options in a script
It works!
Wow, learn something new every day. I'll test it on our network tomorrow.
Thanks.


Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Setting printer options in a script
Forgot to mention that I added the "Print Setup" step above the "Print"
step.
Quote:

>It works!
>Wow, learn something new every day. I'll test it on our network tomorrow.
>Thanks.





Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Setting printer options in a script
Hi folks,

I'm not sure if you've figured this one out yet or not - it seems my news
feed is mixing up the order of responses, but let me add this:

If (On Windows 95) you setup your Printer in the Printers Control Panel
without using a postscript driver for the printer, some printing setup
options may not work properly and will also probably not be saved with
scripts properly.

This happened to one of my client users recently who had two printer
definitions for the same printer - one postscript, one not.  We switched
them to the postscript driver based printer definition and things worked
fine.

Good luck,

Andrew LeCates
--------


Quote:

>My response is the same as Cap's - it doesn't work although it is supposed
>to.

>Damian
>----------


>>A script uses the print options (current or all records, landscape or
>>portrait, etc.)  last used when the script was created.  (Same is true with
>>snip
>>Mark Bley


>>>I have several scripts that involve printing as a step and I have run into
>>>snip
>>>Damian Brennan



Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Setting printer options in a script
I forgot to say that you need to include Print Setup first.  I do that
automatically to make sure setting like landscape or portrait are correct.
That should fix it.  Thanks to Vince for reminding me.

Mark Bley

Quote:

>My response is the same as Cap's - it doesn't work although it is supposed
>to.

>Damian
>----------


>>A script uses the print options (current or all records, landscape or
>>portrait, etc.)  last used when the script was created.  (Same is true
with
>>Find, Sort, etc.).  The best way to create a script which uses these
>>functions is to perform the functions manually (print, find, sort etc.)
>>before creating the script.  If you fail to do this, you then can do it
>>manually afterwards and then edit the script.  When you say OK, you have
the
>>options to change these options.

>>In short, the program works exactly the way you want it to.

>>Mark Bley


>>>I have several scripts that involve printing as a step and I have run
into
>>a
>>>consistent problem. Sometimes I design a script to print a number of
>>records
>>>and some scripts are meant to print only a single record. Unfortunately
the
>>>scripts use the default choice used for the previous printing job - not
>>>necessarily the one I want the script to use. Is there a way for me to
tell
>>>the script which option I want selected automatically - i.e. "Print all
>>>records" or "Print Current Record". Also, if it involves something like
an
>>>apple script, how would I do this on a PC

>>>Damian Brennan



Tue, 16 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 10 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Setting Printer Options etc.

2. Setting Printer Options Through ObjectPal

3. Setting Printer Options

4. Q: how to change printer settings/options

5. Set existing int column, IDENTITY option using T-SQL script

6. generate sql script & SET options

7. How do you set printer to a network printer

8. FPW2.6 printing to network printer w/SET DEVICE TO PRINTER

9. set printer to \\machine name\printer

10. DBCC failed SET options have incorrect settings

11. ObjectPAL printer options?

12. ObjectPal Printer options


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software