Portal Question 2? 
Author Message
 Portal Question 2?
How do you setup a portal with a pulldown menu. So if you select a field and
select a word from the pulldown menu, so that all the fields which are
related to that field will appear?

grtz RickFM



Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:19:23 GMT
 Portal Question 2?

Hi RickFM

This is called a filtered portal.  Create a global field, formatted as a
pop-up list that references the relevant field as its value list.  The
field can either be in the same file or another file.  Then set up a
relationship between the global field (left) and the field (right).
Finally, create a portal based on this relationship and fill it with the
required fields.  As soon as the user selects a value from the pop-up list
for the global field, the portal will show all records related to that
value.

--
Bridget Eley


Quote:

> How do you setup a portal with a pulldown menu. So if you select a field and
> select a word from the pulldown menu, so that all the fields which are
> related to that field will appear?

> grtz RickFM



Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:50:09 GMT
 Portal Question 2?
Hi Bridget

The relationship can be only based on indexed fields, the global fields are not
index.
In this cases I define a calculated field that gets a specified number of
characters from the pop-up list field, in the portal file I define a calculated
field like the first, so I define relationship based on this two fields.

Diego

Quote:

> Hi RickFM

> This is called a filtered portal.  Create a global field, formatted as a
> pop-up list that references the relevant field as its value list.  The
> field can either be in the same file or another file.  Then set up a
> relationship between the global field (left) and the field (right).
> Finally, create a portal based on this relationship and fill it with the
> required fields.  As soon as the user selects a value from the pop-up list
> for the global field, the portal will show all records related to that
> value.

> --
> Bridget Eley



> > How do you setup a portal with a pulldown menu. So if you select a field and
> > select a word from the pulldown menu, so that all the fields which are
> > related to that field will appear?

> > grtz RickFM



Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:34:35 GMT
 Portal Question 2?
If I change the name in the pulldown every field changes.
I want two portals in one record. So that I can see 2 seperate or more
records in one portal.



Quote:
> Hi RickFM

> This is called a filtered portal.  Create a global field, formatted as a
> pop-up list that references the relevant field as its value list.  The
> field can either be in the same file or another file.  Then set up a
> relationship between the global field (left) and the field (right).
> Finally, create a portal based on this relationship and fill it with the
> required fields.  As soon as the user selects a value from the pop-up list
> for the global field, the portal will show all records related to that
> value.

> --
> Bridget Eley



> > How do you setup a portal with a pulldown menu. So if you select a field
and
> > select a word from the pulldown menu, so that all the fields which are
> > related to that field will appear?

> > grtz RickFM



Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:24:24 GMT
 Portal Question 2?
Hi Diego

Only the field on the right hand side of the relationship has to be
indexed.  The filtered portal technique works as described.

--
Bridget Eley


Quote:

> Hi Bridget

> The relationship can be only based on indexed fields, the global fields
are not
> index.
> In this cases I define a calculated field that gets a specified number of
> characters from the pop-up list field, in the portal file I define a
calculated
> field like the first, so I define relationship based on this two fields.

> Diego


> > Hi RickFM

> > This is called a filtered portal.  Create a global field, formatted as a
> > pop-up list that references the relevant field as its value list.  The
> > field can either be in the same file or another file.  Then set up a
> > relationship between the global field (left) and the field (right).
> > Finally, create a portal based on this relationship and fill it with the
> > required fields.  As soon as the user selects a value from the pop-up list
> > for the global field, the portal will show all records related to that
> > value.

> > --
> > Bridget Eley



> > > How do you setup a portal with a pulldown menu. So if you select a
field and
> > > select a word from the pulldown menu, so that all the fields which are
> > > related to that field will appear?

> > > grtz RickFM



Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:44:33 GMT
 Portal Question 2?
Hi Rick FM

There is no reason why you can't have two portals on the same layout, for
example, one portal showing all records in the related file (using an all
to all type relationship*) or all records related to the current record
(match field = standard field), and the other portal filtered (match field
= global field) as per the filtered portal technique described below.

[*You can set up an all to all (data channel) type relationship by
creating two calc fields in each file that both = 1, then using these as
the match fields.]

--
Bridget Eley


Quote:

> If I change the name in the pulldown every field changes.
> I want two portals in one record. So that I can see 2 seperate or more
> records in one portal.



> > Hi RickFM

> > This is called a filtered portal.  Create a global field, formatted as a
> > pop-up list that references the relevant field as its value list.  The
> > field can either be in the same file or another file.  Then set up a
> > relationship between the global field (left) and the field (right).
> > Finally, create a portal based on this relationship and fill it with the
> > required fields.  As soon as the user selects a value from the pop-up list
> > for the global field, the portal will show all records related to that
> > value.

> > --
> > Bridget Eley



> > > How do you setup a portal with a pulldown menu. So if you select a field
> and
> > > select a word from the pulldown menu, so that all the fields which are
> > > related to that field will appear?

> > > grtz RickFM



Wed, 12 Nov 2003 02:29:50 GMT
 Portal Question 2?
Hi Group

Here is a technique I have been working on for creating a filtered portal
that can be further filtered by checking the marked field of any related
record or records within the portal.  The technique can be used either to
make marked records disappear from the portal in order to progressively
eliminate unwanted records, or to make only marked related records appear
in the portal.

Fields:

Category (Text)
Marked (Text)
Find Marked (Global, Text)
Category Filter (Global, Text)
Category Filter Calc (Unstored, Text) = If(IsEmpty(Find Marked), Filter, "Yes")
Category Calc (Indexed, Text) = If(IsEmpty(Marked), Category, "Yes")

Relationship:

Create a self join relationship between the Category Filter Calc on left
and the Category Calc on the right.

Scripts:

1. Clear Marked

Freeze Window
Set Field [Find Marked, "Yes"]
Go to Related Records [Show, Self Join Relationship]
If [Status (CurrentFoundCount) = 0]
Find All
Else
Replace [Replace [No dialog, Marked, ""]
End If
Set Field [Find Marked, ""]
Exit Record/Request

2. Find Marked

Set Field [Find Marked, "Yes"]
Exit Record/Request

New layout:

Place the Filter field formatted as a pop-up list which references the
Category field.

Create a button called "Find Marked" attached to the Find Marked script.

Create a button called "Clear Marked" attached to the Clear Marked script.

Create a portal based on the self join relationship and fill it with the
required related fields including FileName::Marked formatted as a check
box that references a value list that has one value "Yes" (shrink the
field until only the check box shows).

How to:

Click the Clear Marks button to reset the Marked field of all records in
the database to nothing.  This script could be run as a subscript of the
script that goes to this layout.

Selecting a value from the Category Filter field will fill the portal with
all records which have that value in the Category field.

Check the marked box of any related record within the portal. As long as
you stay in the portal these records will continue to be displayed, but as
soon as you click outside the portal, they will disappear.  This provides
a way to progressively eliminating records from the portal.

If you wish the portal to show only records that have been marked, click
the Find Marked button.

To restore the portal to the full set of related records, click the Clear
Marks button again.

Limitations: it is not possible to create new records directly within the
portal as the match fields are based on calculation fields.  There are
ways of working around this using global fields and scripts.

--
Bridget Eley


Quote:

> If I change the name in the pulldown every field changes.
> I want two portals in one record. So that I can see 2 seperate or more
> records in one portal.



> > Hi RickFM

> > This is called a filtered portal.  Create a global field, formatted as a
> > pop-up list that references the relevant field as its value list.  The
> > field can either be in the same file or another file.  Then set up a
> > relationship between the global field (left) and the field (right).
> > Finally, create a portal based on this relationship and fill it with the
> > required fields.  As soon as the user selects a value from the pop-up list
> > for the global field, the portal will show all records related to that
> > value.

> > --
> > Bridget Eley



> > > How do you setup a portal with a pulldown menu. So if you select a field
> and
> > > select a word from the pulldown menu, so that all the fields which are
> > > related to that field will appear?

> > > grtz RickFM



Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:49:40 GMT
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Portal question

2. Oracle Portal Question

3. Portal Question

4. Portal question (again)

5. portal question

6. Field association/portal question

7. FMP 5 Portal Question

8. Portal Question

9. Another Newbie portal Question

10. Newbie Portal Question

11. Portal Question

12. portal question


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software