How do you assign added CPU's to the DB partition in EEE? 
Author Message
 How do you assign added CPU's to the DB partition in EEE?
Hi Folks,
    This is something I am wondering about. Suppose I have MDP on a
node and have 2 logical db partitions right now. I have 4 CPU on it.
Now does the partition pick up two CPU's per partition or is there a
parameter that I need to update to tell the DB that these many CPU's
per partition?

Hope I am clear enough?

Txs,
A Log.



Tue, 10 Aug 2004 03:20:26 GMT
 How do you assign added CPU's to the DB partition in EEE?

Hi,

I don't know of any parameter you can update to tell DB2 to use only a
subset
of the CPUs. The only thing it come to my mind you could try to force
MAXQUERYDEGREE for the intaparallelism to the number of CPUs you want
to assign to that DB partition. For example if you set it to 2 for
both the logical DB partitions , you could think to have 2 CPUs for DB
partition ... but then how to be sure is not working on the same CPU??

Maybe the only way is using some kind of OS partitioning , just
thinking to AIX Work Load Manager... do not know about other OS
functionality...

just wondering about...
Fabrizio

Quote:

> Hi Folks,
>     This is something I am wondering about. Suppose I have MDP on a
> node and have 2 logical db partitions right now. I have 4 CPU on it.
> Now does the partition pick up two CPU's per partition or is there a
> parameter that I need to update to tell the DB that these many CPU's
> per partition?

> Hope I am clear enough?

> Txs,
> A Log.



Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:03:51 GMT
 How do you assign added CPU's to the DB partition in EEE?
Hi,
There are two things here.

First, how many CPUs on the node determine how many logical partitions
you can build.
For example, like this, there 4 CPUs on the node. So we can create 4, 2,
or 1 partition(s).

Second, on a node, there are 4 CPUs, 2 logical db partitions, there is
no way that you can let db partition1 use processor1 and 2, and let db
partition2 use processor3 and 4. But the os can allocate two of the
processors to work for db partition 1 and two for db partition 2. (We
don't know which two). Of course, if you create 3 db partitions, this
will make os confused. So you don't need to tell this to the db server.

If I said something wrong, hope someone can correct me.
Sorry for my english.

Regards,
Fan Ruo Xin

Quote:

> Hi Folks,
>     This is something I am wondering about. Suppose I have MDP on a
> node and have 2 logical db partitions right now. I have 4 CPU on it.
> Now does the partition pick up two CPU's per partition or is there a
> parameter that I need to update to tell the DB that these many CPU's
> per partition?

> Hope I am clear enough?

> Txs,
> A Log.



Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:40:53 GMT
 How do you assign added CPU's to the DB partition in EEE?

Quote:
> First, how many CPUs on the node determine how many logical partitions
> you can build.
> For example, like this, there 4 CPUs on the node. So we can create 4, 2,
> or 1 partition(s).

That is not true.  Logical partitions can be greater than CPUs.

Best regards,
Lloyd Budd



Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:38:12 GMT
 How do you assign added CPU's to the DB partition in EEE?

Quote:


> > First, how many CPUs on the node determine how many logical partitions
> > you can build.
> > For example, like this, there 4 CPUs on the node. So we can create 4, 2,
> > or 1 partition(s).

> That is not true.  Logical partitions can be greater than CPUs.

Yes, you are right. Logical partitions can be greater than CPUs. The only
thing is it will cause CPU contentions.
Thank you!
Regards,
Fan RX
Quote:

> Best regards,
> Lloyd Budd



Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:17:45 GMT
 How do you assign added CPU's to the DB partition in EEE?


Quote:
> Yes, you are right. Logical partitions can be greater than CPUs. The
> only thing is it will cause CPU contentions.

Potentially yes, but many workloads are not CPU bound.  Still, logical
partitions greater than CPUs would likely be a poor design and better to
get better utilization at a different scope

Best regards,
Lloyd D Budd



Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:44:32 GMT
 How do you assign added CPU's to the DB partition in EEE?

Quote:



> > Yes, you are right. Logical partitions can be greater than CPUs. The
> > only thing is it will cause CPU contentions.

> Potentially yes, but many workloads are not CPU bound.  Still, logical
> partitions greater than CPUs would likely be a poor design and better to
> get better utilization at a different scope

> Best regards,
> Lloyd D Budd

Hi, Lloye,
I agree with what you said. Usually, we don't recommend the logical
partitions more than CPUs on production system.

I just think of I on the testing machine, there are only one cpu, I setup 6
logical partitions to do function testing. Even some performance testing
after capture the statistics, ... from productions system.

Thank you!
Regards,
Fan RX



Sat, 14 Aug 2004 09:40:29 GMT
 How do you assign added CPU's to the DB partition in EEE?
Folks, thanks a lot for your input. Great input.

A Log.


Quote:



> > > Yes, you are right. Logical partitions can be greater than CPUs. The
> > > only thing is it will cause CPU contentions.

> > Potentially yes, but many workloads are not CPU bound.  Still, logical
> > partitions greater than CPUs would likely be a poor design and better to
> > get better utilization at a different scope

> > Best regards,
> > Lloyd D Budd

> Hi, Lloye,
> I agree with what you said. Usually, we don't recommend the logical
> partitions more than CPUs on production system.

> I just think of I on the testing machine, there are only one cpu, I setup 6
> logical partitions to do function testing. Even some performance testing
> after capture the statistics, ... from productions system.

> Thank you!
> Regards,
> Fan RX



Sun, 12 Sep 2004 06:00:02 GMT
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Inordinate growth in DB when doing backup's and restore's

2. steps to take , when adding cpu's to sql server in cluster

3. UDB EEE - Partitioning of Large Dimension tables

4. DB2 EEE Partition Design

5. Executing single command on just one PARTITION IN EEE

6. Table size and partitioning in EEE

7. partition spanning updates with DB2 EEE

8. Catalog partition restore in EEE

9. JDBC connect to specific partition on EEE

10. How many partitions/node in EEE AIX?

11. CPU Spin on dual Xeon CPU's.

12. Information on Federated DB's Partitioned Views.


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software