Comparison of DB2 on OS/390 and RS/6000 
Author Message
 Comparison of DB2 on OS/390 and RS/6000

Hello all!

I've recently inherited the support for DB2 on a couple of OS/390
platforms.  Since DB2 on these machines is expensive to use for us and
their usage is driving software costs up, I've been challenged by my
management to determine if an RS/6000 S80 may be a viable alternative to
using DB2 on OS/390.

Here's our configuration:
Two data centers geographically separated.

Each running an OS/390 on an Amdahl processor equivelant to an IBM S390
9672-R25. 3 processors, 2gb main memory, 2gb expanded memory. Storage on
EMC Symmetrix.  Running DB2 v6.1.  Upgrading to DB2 v7.1 in the next few
months. No partitioned databases - there's a separate machine for that.
DB2 usage is about 10-12 MSUs.

Each data center also running an RS/6000 S80 w/ 6 processors and 24GB
memory.  Storage on EMC Symmetrix.  Running DB2 v7.2 EE.

If anyone has any published work comparing the use of DB2 on these two
platforms they may have done or know of any or has done this before,
would you be so kind as to forward that on to me?  I'm very interested
to discuss how you went about comparing the amount of work the database
engines on each must do to complete SQL requests.

Please respond to the newsgroup or to me directly.

Thanks in advance,
Paul Murphy



Sun, 08 Aug 2004 13:22:20 GMT
 Comparison of DB2 on OS/390 and RS/6000

Hi Paul,

You might want to discuss with your IBM rep if you can go DB2 on
Linux/390....
Supposedly that should drive down the cost of the 390..

Cheers
Serge
--
Serge Rielau
DB2 UDB SQL Compiler Development
IBM Software Lab, Canada



Sun, 08 Aug 2004 23:41:24 GMT
 Comparison of DB2 on OS/390 and RS/6000
Serge,

Thanks for the quick reply.

We've briefly discussed this also, but have a lot of unasked questions
regarding it, like how much resource will it use to do the same amount
of work?  How is it priced in Linux/390?  Expressed as a percent, how
much would I expect to drive down the cost of DB2 on Linux/390?  Can I
get Linux/390 on a trial basis?  I'll call our IBM rep in the morning.

I know I'll have RS/6000 resource available, I know I won't have
Linux/390 any time soon.

I'm still interested in knowing if anyone's compared a fixed amount of
sql work on DB2 between an OS/390 and RS/6000.

I've checked www.TPC.org and was unable to find a comparison between
these two platforms.

Quote:

> Hi Paul,

> You might want to discuss with your IBM rep if you can go DB2 on
> Linux/390....
> Supposedly that should drive down the cost of the 390..

> Cheers
> Serge
> --
> Serge Rielau
> DB2 UDB SQL Compiler Development
> IBM Software Lab, Canada



Mon, 09 Aug 2004 10:30:54 GMT
 Comparison of DB2 on OS/390 and RS/6000
Hi Paul,

Quote:
> We've briefly discussed this also, but have a lot of unasked questions
> regarding it, like how much resource will it use to do the same amount
> of work?  How is it priced in Linux/390?  Expressed as a percent, how
> much would I expect to drive down the cost of DB2 on Linux/390?  Can I
> get Linux/390 on a trial basis?  I'll call our IBM rep in the morning.

That's what the Reps are there for... I do not worry about DB2 pricing as
long as I get paid :-)

Quote:
> I know I'll have RS/6000 resource available, I know I won't have
> Linux/390 any time soon.

That wasn't clear to me in the original post. I assumed you were thinking
about getting the RS/6000.

Quote:
> I'm still interested in knowing if anyone's compared a fixed amount of
> sql work on DB2 between an OS/390 and RS/6000.
> I've checked www.TPC.org and was unable to find a comparison between
> these two platforms.

I suppose DB2 prefers to fight Oracle in TPC rather than the family.
Same works for the hardware.

Cheers
Serge
--
Serge Rielau
DB2 UDB SQL Compiler Development
IBM Software Lab, Canada



Mon, 09 Aug 2004 11:25:02 GMT
 Comparison of DB2 on OS/390 and RS/6000
We've been through this migration.

The biggest differences are between the two platforms and what they target,
or more precisely, what the RS/6000 doesn't target, rather then DB2 issues.
If you have a productive DB2 on OS/390, moving to RS/6000 is foolhardy -
unless you really love fighting problems regarding stability, reliability,
backup, restore, storage management and other functional differences that
have nothing to do with SQL performance - that will be the least of your
problems. Moreover, the RS/6000 system will cost you significantly more
money in the end run - as you will discover when you review the costs after
the migration... The Gartner group has published details on this, but
customer experience won't be printed because what corporation is willing to
admit that they made a mistake?


Quote:
> Hello all!

> I've recently inherited the support for DB2 on a couple of OS/390
> platforms.  Since DB2 on these machines is expensive to use for us and
> their usage is driving software costs up, I've been challenged by my
> management to determine if an RS/6000 S80 may be a viable alternative to
> using DB2 on OS/390.

> Here's our configuration:
> Two data centers geographically separated.

> Each running an OS/390 on an Amdahl processor equivelant to an IBM S390
> 9672-R25. 3 processors, 2gb main memory, 2gb expanded memory. Storage on
> EMC Symmetrix.  Running DB2 v6.1.  Upgrading to DB2 v7.1 in the next few
> months. No partitioned databases - there's a separate machine for that.
> DB2 usage is about 10-12 MSUs.

> Each data center also running an RS/6000 S80 w/ 6 processors and 24GB
> memory.  Storage on EMC Symmetrix.  Running DB2 v7.2 EE.

> If anyone has any published work comparing the use of DB2 on these two
> platforms they may have done or know of any or has done this before,
> would you be so kind as to forward that on to me?  I'm very interested
> to discuss how you went about comparing the amount of work the database
> engines on each must do to complete SQL requests.

> Please respond to the newsgroup or to me directly.

> Thanks in advance,
> Paul Murphy



Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:07:34 GMT
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Oracle RS/6000 SP vs. Oracle RS/6000

2. z/OS OS/390 DB2 DBA Position available in Dallas, Texas

3. Db2 V7 for z/OS and OS/390

4. desire to move data from OS 390 DB2 to AS/400 DB2 using DTS

5. Table Limit with DB2 Connect to DB2 for OS/390

6. Load data from DB2 in NT to DB2 in OS/390

7. Creating DB2 SQL Procedures in DB2 version 6 on OS/390 (June 2000 PUT)

8. DB2 Conenct & DB2 on OS/390

9. Trigger working in DB2 for NT but not in DB2 on an OS/390-machine

10. DB2 for OS/390 REXX Language Support for DB2 V5.1

11. Import DELimited File Format Files to DB2 for OS/390 Tables with DB2 Connect

12. Frontpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2 ?


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software