DBA availability -- DB2 vs. Oracle 
Author Message
 DBA availability -- DB2 vs. Oracle

I would appreciate comments from any IT managers with experience in
finding DBAs to administer a DB2 database on AIX.

I am currently deciding between Oracle and DB2 as the new platform for
an existing high volume OLTP application.  Please no rhetoric about
the technical merits of DB2 and Oracle -- I've read all those already.
 I'm comfortable with the fact that DB2 would meet my functional
requirements.

The big swing factor seems to be availability of knowledgable DBAs for
DB2 on AIX.  I've seen several postings about the lack of these jobs.
Does that imply a lack of qualified candidates?  If so I may have to
select Oracle just in order to guarantee that I can find someone to
manage my database.

I'm located in the suburbs of Washington DC (Rockville, MD).



Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:00:57 GMT
 DBA availability -- DB2 vs. Oracle

Steve,

I'm not an IT manager, but I am a DB2 consultant and not too far from
you - I'm in Bethesda.  And yes, there are knowledgeable DB2 DBAs around
here.  

Quote:

> I would appreciate comments from any IT managers with experience in
> finding DBAs to administer a DB2 database on AIX.

> I am currently deciding between Oracle and DB2 as the new platform for
> an existing high volume OLTP application.  Please no rhetoric about
> the technical merits of DB2 and Oracle -- I've read all those already.
>  I'm comfortable with the fact that DB2 would meet my functional
> requirements.

> The big swing factor seems to be availability of knowledgable DBAs for
> DB2 on AIX.  I've seen several postings about the lack of these jobs.
> Does that imply a lack of qualified candidates?  If so I may have to
> select Oracle just in order to guarantee that I can find someone to
> manage my database.

> I'm located in the suburbs of Washington DC (Rockville, MD).

--
====================================
To reply, delete the 'x' from my email

Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.

====================================



Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:28:27 GMT
 DBA availability -- DB2 vs. Oracle

You only need one anyway...
I doubt you can't find someone knowledgeable for this job on this planet.
If you'd need 200 dbas' that would be different.

PM



Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:34:35 GMT
 DBA availability -- DB2 vs. Oracle
On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:34:35 +0100, "Pascal-Marc Gelinas"

Quote:

>You only need one anyway...
>I doubt you can't find someone knowledgeable for this job on this planet.
>If you'd need 200 dbas' that would be different.

Yes, like if you were running Oracle, for example... <d&r>


Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:09:07 GMT
 DBA availability -- DB2 vs. Oracle
:-)
Quote:

> You only need one anyway...
> I doubt you can't find someone knowledgeable for this job on this planet.
> If you'd need 200 dbas' that would be different.

> PM



Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:06:41 GMT
 DBA availability -- DB2 vs. Oracle

Quote:

> The big swing factor seems to be availability of knowledgable DBAs for
> DB2 on AIX.  I've seen several postings about the lack of these jobs.
> Does that imply a lack of qualified candidates?  If so I may have to
> select Oracle just in order to guarantee that I can find someone to
> manage my database.

Coupla thoughts:

Oracle DBA's should have an easy time picking up DB2 UDB on AIX. There's
no problem with mixing & matching if an Oracle DBA is willing to
work/learn DB2 (understanding that's a big *IF*). DB2 UDB 6.x & 7.x are
easier to admin than Oracle 7 & 8x. DB2 & Oracle concepts are similar even
tho their similarities diminish as you get more and more into tuning &
such.

Quote:
> I'm located in the suburbs of Washington DC (Rockville, MD).

Being in the 'burbs of DC, you should be able to find plenty of DB2 UDB
talent.

There are fewer DB2 UDB DBA's in some regions, and more in others. Do
searches on the big job boards (monster, dice, hotjobs, yahoo, altavista,
etc.) and you'll see where the demand for DB2 DBA's tend to cluster:
Dallas, California, NYNY, NJ, Pennsylvania, DC, Raleigh/Durham, Toronto
(no surprise there <g>), London, Madrid....



Wed, 18 Aug 2004 06:34:44 GMT
 DBA availability -- DB2 vs. Oracle

Quote:


> > The big swing factor seems to be availability of knowledgable DBAs for
> > DB2 on AIX.  I've seen several postings about the lack of these jobs.
> > Does that imply a lack of qualified candidates?  If so I may have to
> > select Oracle just in order to guarantee that I can find someone to
> > manage my database.

> Coupla thoughts:

> Oracle DBA's should have an easy time picking up DB2 UDB on AIX. There's
> no problem with mixing & matching if an Oracle DBA is willing to
> work/learn DB2 (understanding that's a big *IF*). DB2 UDB 6.x & 7.x are
> easier to admin than Oracle 7 & 8x. DB2 & Oracle concepts are similar even
> tho their similarities diminish as you get more and more into tuning &
> such.

> > I'm located in the suburbs of Washington DC (Rockville, MD).

> Being in the 'burbs of DC, you should be able to find plenty of DB2 UDB
> talent.

> There are fewer DB2 UDB DBA's in some regions, and more in others. Do
> searches on the big job boards (monster, dice, hotjobs, yahoo, altavista,
> etc.) and you'll see where the demand for DB2 DBA's tend to cluster:
> Dallas, California, NYNY, NJ, Pennsylvania, DC, Raleigh/Durham, Toronto
> (no surprise there <g>), London, Madrid....

Hi,

I & my Management also had the same misconception in 1996 (even DB2/CS
1.x days). I was having Oracle and TOTAL (Cincom Database) Database
Admin background.
It costs US$1,800 on training + US$500 on books thats all to be
DB2forAIX admin :)

My company saved HUGE money my switching from Oracle to DB2. Its your
choice do you wish to save Huge or one time Max. US$3,000 ?

I am very much in IT, but I do not think its a IT question, its IM
(Information Management) question.

Enjoy,

VKG
(some where in Arabian Gulf)



Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:01:25 GMT
 DBA availability -- DB2 vs. Oracle
I would agree with a previous comment.

A willing/motivated DBA e.g Oracle, who has good database/AIX/UNIX
knowldege
will slot into a DB2 position with no trouble at all, given the right
inital training (I have experienced this at a previous company).

Crucial to being a good DBA is identifying 'important' issues from the
big picture and then researching/understanding how they can be best
solved using the
abilities of DB2.

It comes down to the fact that, the PERSON combined with relevant
experience is
the key miix, aswell as specific DBMS knowledge.

So, I would concentrate on getting a good person/DBA who has strong
DBMS/UNIX knowledge.

A good DBA is for life, not just for the next 3 months.

Paul.



Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:48:21 GMT
 DBA availability -- DB2 vs. Oracle
One other thought:-

You may want to  make the cross training easier/less painless

by using a DBA tool such as Quest Central for DB2 or DGI etc...

These make admin/monitoring a lot easier, especially Quest for
somebody who is used to using TOAD for Oracle.

Nothing against the standard DB2 GUI's, but they are DB2 specific and
involve a whole learning curve in themselves for somebody new to DB2.

Paul.



Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:43:47 GMT
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. IA-Cedar Rapids Area-271400--DBA Skills-ORACLE-DB2-DBA and Oracle or DBA and DB2

2. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which

3. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should

4. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should

5. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which sh

6. Distributed DB2 - Oracle/Oracle - Oracle/DB2 - DB2/DB2

7. SC-Greenville-113553--RDB-DBA Skills-ORACLE-Performance Tuning-DB2-PERFMODL-Oracle DBA

8. CA-Santa Clara-100191--IMS-DBA Skills-ORACLE-DB2-MS Office-IMS and Oracle DBA

9. CA-Santa Clara-100191--IMS-DBA Skills-ORACLE-DB2-MS Office-IMS and Oracle DBA

10. 18791-TX-MESQUITE-ORACLE-DBA Skills-DB2-SYBASE-Windows NT-UNIX-ORACLE DBA

11. 18791-TX-MESQUITE-ORACLE-DBA Skills-DB2-SYBASE-Windows NT-UNIX-ORACLE DBA

12. CA-Santa Clara-100191--IMS-DBA Skills-ORACLE-DB2-MS Office-IMS and Oracle DBA


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software